Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Cheers, i have seen a Gen8 with 8gb ram and 6tb storage for £300, just not sure whether at that price i'm better just building something.

That would depend upon what other upgrades it has had. For me, the key parts of the Gen 8 really are the ILO and the RAID chassis all in that small quiet frame.

maj

maj

Soldato
Finally got RAID 10 configured this weekend (let's leave the raid vs storage spaces vs drivepool for another time).

Since RAID only accounts for redundancy, what are people using for actual backups? I'm not sure if my 20mb upload speed is sufficient enough for cloud based.

Associate
Does anyone run Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS on a gen8 with the stock GPU and manage to get a resolution above 1024x768?

Going to be in a position, shortly, where I will be able to actually have my server plugged into a monitor and it'd be good for it to actually be able to output a res the monitor supports (ideally 1920x1080).

Alternatively, any advice on a low power/cost GFX card which will fit in the box and do what I want?

Soldato
Does anyone run Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS on a gen8 with the stock GPU and manage to get a resolution above 1024x768?

Going to be in a position, shortly, where I will be able to actually have my server plugged into a monitor and it'd be good for it to actually be able to output a res the monitor supports (ideally 1920x1080).

Alternatively, any advice on a low power/cost GFX card which will fit in the box and do what I want?

Yes, during boot it changes res many times inc 1024*768 and 1680*1050 but pretty sure mine is 1080P now... But I've leant my box out with Ubuntu on for a couple weeks...

Associate
Yes, during boot it changes res many times inc 1024*768 and 1680*1050 but pretty sure mine is 1080P now... But I've leant my box out with Ubuntu on for a couple weeks...

So it'll self configure to the resolutions available to it?

Fingers crossed it's that easy!

Will report back once set up in the next week or two :)

Associate
Any cheap half height card will do the job , I went out and paid about £55 for a AMD r3 230 ... didnt really use it, and might bring it all back into service as a media box running windows/plex. Sitting idle at the moment , wondering whether this box is quieter or louder than old PC running i5-2500k.
yes a 2200g or 2400g based microserver sounds great, maybe ven a 200Ge.
BTW where can you get the screws for the disk caddys ??

Soldato
Ryzen based would be nice.

If we're talking home usage, then it's easy to build an ITX based Ryzen system with a similar case.

Any cheap half height card will do the job , I went out and paid about £55 for a AMD r3 230 ... didnt really use it, and might bring it all back into service as a media box running windows/plex. Sitting idle at the moment , wondering whether this box is quieter or louder than old PC running i5-2500k.
yes a 2200g or 2400g based microserver sounds great, maybe ven a 200Ge.
BTW where can you get the screws for the disk caddys ??

Plex with an AMD GPU is awful for GPU transcoding, you either want an intel iGPU or Nvidia GPU, but it’s 2 concurrent streams on the consumer grade Nvidia stuff (except modified drivers in Ubuntu).

Caporegime
If we're talking home usage, then it's easy to build an ITX based Ryzen system with a similar case.

Plex with an AMD GPU is awful for GPU transcoding, you either want an intel iGPU or Nvidia GPU, but it’s 2 concurrent streams on the consumer grade Nvidia stuff (except modified drivers in Ubuntu).
Easy maybe, but value for money it's hard to beat the Microservers even without the rebate.

Associate
i WASNT talking or including transcoding abilitys. A 2200g in itx case with four bays would be very nice, but , would it beat the microserver (after rebate, when it was available , approx £110 ) it would cost at least double that , and whwn you throw in a good quality gold sfx and noctua fans , more like three times.
BTW my old pC is running great , very quiet bit bulky but whateva ...

Today I updated my CPU to an i3 3240 (updated bios first to make sure it worked). Really easy £20 upgrade!

I had no end of trouble updating ILO and getting Intelligent Provisioning to work.
Also did not help that I didn't seat the hard drive SATA cables properly....oops!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom