1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Discussion in 'Servers and Enterprise Solutions' started by dragonuk, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Jakus

Mobster

I have an absolutely blinding idea for the Microserver :)

We have a spare USB and SATA port on the motherboard and we want to run a separate HD and CDROM without addon cards etc

Find one or the USB-sata/ide converters from ebay etc fit that to the CDROM and the USB to the motherboard.
    Split the spare molex power to the CDROM and HDD and run the sata connector to the motherboard

Job done ;) 2.5" drives will fit on top of the CDROM (apparently) but with some effort I think You could get a 3.5" below the CD

2. slewis1972

Associate

Anyone running esxi 4.1?

Trying to change cpu policy to reduce costs etc and there is not the option.

Any suggestions?

3. pespro

Gangster

What would be the danger of laying this on its side?
    The only vents i can see are at the back.

4. bremen1874

Capodecina

The side panel might get scratched, but that's about it.

5. chenko

Mobster

If you're not using the internal USB, get a USB to IDE/SATA adaptor for your DVD drive, and put your SSD above the DVD drive (someone else above has done this) on the internal SATA (which seems to run faster as its in IDE mode, than the AHCI on the back plate)

6. settepunti

Associate

Does anybody know whether there are BIOS options to speedup the booting process?
    I know it's not common to have such a need in a server scenario, but I frequently use hibernation, and the microserver takes a lot of time (in relative terms) to recover from it.
    Any hint would be very appreciated, many thanks in advance.

7. smoove

Soldato

Trying to get freenas embedded onto a USB pen and going around in circles.

Cant find the 0.69, closest I can find is the FreeNAS-amd64-embedded-0.7.2.5543.img 0.7.2.5543.img

Would this do? Does it matter if i get the am64 or the i386 one?

Also in regards to Physdiskwrite as soon as i drag the .img to the app and select the drive to install it on and confirm Yes, it just exists.

But when I check the contents of the disk, nothing is on there and no dataspace has been used, is this correct?

8. Burnsy2023

Man of Honour

I used a vm to mount the ISO and then install it to the USB pen which I then just plugged in to the server. I'm using 0.8 RC4 btw.

9. _SBradley_

Hitman

Re: physdiskwrite

Are you using it on Windows 7? Because that doesn't work. I found this out after several wasted hours. :o I ended up having to zero the MBR on two USB drives. Tried it on XP, and it worked first time.

10. Gizmo_Ger

Associate

Might be a stupid question but what are the credentials for the login page of the remote access card? Got it today directly from HP but without a manual just a flyer how to install the hardware. Also couldn´t find anything on the HP website.
    Where can I set the User Name and the password?

EDIT: Ok, found it in the documentation for the BMC Firmware update.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  11. pespro

Gangster

Has anyone got a HD 5450 in theirs?

Having major problems getting mine to work.

12. [timko]

Mobster

I used it on Windows 7 just fine. Right click the shortcut/executable and then select "Run as administrator".

13. _SBradley_

Hitman

I was running it as Administrator. Is your Windows 32- or 64-bit? I found other people saying it doesn't work on Win7, which is what led to me trying WinXP (where it worked first time). I wonder what the difference is...

14. [timko]

Mobster

I've used it successfully on both the 32Bit and 64Bit versions of Win7. Hopefully you've already seen this but just in case you haven't...

http://m0n0.ch/wall/physdiskwrite.php

Rather than creating (an extra) shortcut to the command prompt, make the shortcut for physgui.exe and right click and run that as administrator.

15. _SBradley_

Hitman

OK, thanks for the info. I doubt I'll have to use it again for a while, but maybe I'll give it another go next time... As I may have installed Win7 on the netbook (the last remaining XP installation in my house!) by then. :D (Well, I have a free licence from my Win7 "family pack"...)

16. Nikumba

Mobster

Well finally managed to get round to installing my new 2Tb F4's on Ubuntu 10.10 64bit and was getting writes of 50 - 60 megabyte a second transfer copying from my Windows 7 machine to the HP with my Netgear gig switch and copying from the HP to my Windows 7 machine a rate of 100 megabyte a second.

So overall I am very happy with those speeds, and seems comparable to what others are getting.

Kimbie

17. AbsenceJam

Mobster

I've ordered one of these and an extra 2GB RAM.

What are the thoughts on Windows 7 vs. Server 2008 R2? Any particular reasons to go with one or the other?
    Using drives with existing data on them else I'd go opensource with Z-RAID or mdadm.

18. agent_paul

Gangster

Hi, I'm looking to buy one of these too with the promotion but point 5 of the form is a bit discouraging.

It says "The promotion is valid only on new units purchased and invoiced directly from HP or a UK HP authorised reseller."

Does this mean if I purchased from any other online retailers I wont be able to get the rebate?

19. Nikumba

Mobster

Look on their website to see if they have a logo or text, but most sites who sell HP server hardware *tend* to be HP Resellers

Kimbie

20. agent_paul

Gangster

Cheers Kimbie,

I managed to find it for £180 (with 160Gig HD) from a well known retailer but it doesn't mention the cashback offer, while on the same site there's the same product but with a 250Gig HD that does mention it.