Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
Anyone got the graphics drivers for WHS 2011 ?
Yup could do with that too.

I did a full install of WHS2011 and have not installed any drivers to be honest, am I missing out on some features? or speed? by doing this as everything seems to be working as it should, although the data transfer could be a little quicker
If there are some drivers I need, can you point me in the right direction.
I have the server set up thus

Hacked Bios
250Gig HD on the Onboard ODD Sata port with WHS2011
2*2TB F4's set up in the Bios Raid 1
3gig Ram

Cheers

Soldato
I always thought it was a bad idea to have write caching enabled on a raided setup? Is this not the case?

Thanks,

G

I didn't see where he said he was using RAID but I don't see why enabling write cache on software raid would be an issue. I know enabling it on a dedicated RAID controller can cause issues as the controller usually has its own write cache and they can conflict and cause problems.

although the data transfer could be a little quicker

What speeds are you seeing? Do mean internal data transfer or network traffic? Also you are running a RAID 0 which means there are always 2 writes happening at any one time. Any data written to disk1 will be mirrored to disk2 and this can and does slow down write speeds. Read speeds should be unaffected however.

Soldato
Just clicked to why I'm having problem with the drivers. I assumed I had bought WHS 2011, wrong I have bought the previous 32 bit version based on 2003, doh. On the plus side I have the driver extender.

So is there a Video driver for the 2003 based WHS?

Associate
Ok, I need a bit of help!

I want to update the BIOS using the USB Method, and I'm looking for help from you guys.... 101 lesson needed.
First off I downloaded the HQUSB tool from HP. I ran that and pointed to my USB which shows up as E on my Win 7 pc. That formatted it to Fat 32.
Then I downloaded the latest BIOS file shown on HP's site: 2011.04.02 (A) (27 May 2011) This saves as SP53393.exe.
I then ran SP53393.exe and pointed it to my USB on E, this installs overwritting some common files that the HQUSB installed on E.
Once done Windows 7 wan'ts to complain that they may have not installed properly but I've ignored that as no matter how many times I do it, it always complains about it.

Ok, next I connect the USB Drive to the HP Microserver and switch on, and it starts doing its thing, then stops with the C:>/ flashing.
Now my question is this, what the hell do I do next, as HP's instructions do not mention anythig about input needed (SP53393 Instructions on HP's site).

Assuming that everything done above is correct, can some kind soul put me out of my misery and tell me how to finish the flash process?
And if the above is wrong, please tell me how to in plain english!

Russ.

Soldato
Soldato
Ok, I need a bit of help!

I want to update the BIOS using the USB Method, and I'm looking for help from you guys.... 101 lesson needed.
First off I downloaded the HQUSB tool from HP. I ran that and pointed to my USB which shows up as E on my Win 7 pc. That formatted it to Fat 32.
Then I downloaded the latest BIOS file shown on HP's site: 2011.04.02 (A) (27 May 2011) This saves as SP53393.exe.
I then ran SP53393.exe and pointed it to my USB on E, this installs overwritting some common files that the HQUSB installed on E.
Once done Windows 7 wan'ts to complain that they may have not installed properly but I've ignored that as no matter how many times I do it, it always complains about it.

Ok, next I connect the USB Drive to the HP Microserver and switch on, and it starts doing its thing, then stops with the C:>/ flashing.
Now my question is this, what the hell do I do next, as HP's instructions do not mention anythig about input needed (SP53393 Instructions on HP's site).

Assuming that everything done above is correct, can some kind soul put me out of my misery and tell me how to finish the flash process?
And if the above is wrong, please tell me how to in plain english!

Russ.

From the supplied link I followed the instructions with a USB drive under Windows7 64bit. Worked flawless I would suggest you try again.

It should just boot from the stick and update automatically. You then just run the batch file you created which flashes again with the patched BIOS, Job done.

Associate
From the supplied link I followed the instructions with a USB drive under Windows7 64bit. Worked flawless I would suggest you try again.

It should just boot from the stick and update automatically. You then just run the batch file you created which flashes again with the patched BIOS, Job done.

I've only ever flashed a BIOS using a Windows based software system before (AwardFlash).
I'm not even trying to alter the BIOS, just apply the regular one.
From what you've read, have I made the USB stick with BIOS on correct?
Need help as I don't want to bork the unit. for info I intend putting WHS 2011 with Stablebit on just as a Music Server for my Squeeze boxes.

Russ

Last edited:
Associate
Hey guys,

I know you are busy here, but could u pls tell me how SBS2008 works on this server (2 users, exchange, file server). I want to add 8GB

Thanks!

Soldato
I've only ever flashed a BIOS using a Windows based software system before (AwardFlash).
I'm not even trying to alter the BIOS, just apply the regular one.
From what you've read, have I made the USB stick with BIOS on correct?
Need help as I don't want to bork the unit. for info I intend putting WHS 2011 with Stablebit on just as a Music Server for my Squeeze boxes.

Russ

Have a look at post 1665. On my iPad so it's difficult to post a link here.

Associate
Hi guys,

Quick question: I'm using FreeNAS 0.7.2 (a new version was released a few days ago, if anyone's interested), and I have 2x Samsung F4EG and 2x Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB.

Should I format the Samsungs and/or the Seagates with the "Advanced Format" (4-KiB sectors) option?

(Sorry if this was discussed previously. I searched the thread (and in fact the entire forum), but didn't come across a clear answer.)

Thanks!
Simon

Associate
Thanks for the responses. I'll format the Samsungs with the Advanced Format. I'll have to check the Seagates, but I think they're the same. (I bought them somewhat on impulse, during OcUK's Epic Tuesday! Otherwise, I'd almost certainly have 4x F4EG.)

By the way, this is irrespective of whether the firmware is doing 512-byte emulation, yes?

Associate
160GB versions are going for £155 on an auction site, 250GB versions are £240 + cashback.

The whole cashback thing is a bit annoying to be honest, probably wont even use the 250GB hard drive, so I'm thinking of just getting the £155 160gb model,, is everything the same just different hard drives between these two models?

Last edited:
Soldato
160GB versions are going for £155 on ebay, 250GB versions are £240 + cashback.

The whole cashback thing is a bit annoying to be honest, probably wont even use the 250GB hard drive, so I'm thinking of just getting the £155 160gb model,, is everything the same just different hard drives between these two models?

Different power supplies I believe

Back
Top Bottom