Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
This is just a suggestion as ive never used Freenas, so i dont know what its capable of...

Why not just use Ubuntu server, then atleast you have the option to expand and do other stuff with it?

Last edited:
Associate
This is just a suggestion as ive never used Freenas, so i dont know what its capable of...

Why not just use Ubuntu server, then atleast you have the option to expand and do other stuff with it?

I think it's the fact it's setup to do most of the things you'd want out of a NAS machine with very little input.

As you say though, it's quite limited in it's expansion capabilities.

Soldato
humm tempted by this, i'm not really sure how i'd provision the storage though. I have 4x1tb drives sitting around which I would love to use in RAID 5 but it doesn't seem to support RAID 5. Software raid might be an option, perhaps with server 2008 core hyper v as a base....?

Soldato
humm tempted by this, i'm not really sure how i'd provision the storage though. I have 4x1tb drives sitting around which I would love to use in RAID 5 but it doesn't seem to support RAID 5. Software raid might be an option, perhaps with server 2008 core hyper v as a base....?

Only Hardware Raid support for raid 0 or 1

Choices are software RAID such as Unraid on WHS (Windows Home Server) or a dedicated RAID card :)

Associate
Also, just to re-iterate what's been said earlier in this thread (that you might not have seen), the on-board support for Raid 0 and 1 are still "fake raid".

Associate
Is anyone here running WHS and a nV 2xx series or newer?

Been holding off buying a GPU for a while, to keep costs down and power usage to a minimum, but it seemed the most sensible way of adding sound to it when PCI-E sound cards are twice the price, and USB ones have been far from reliable. Unfortunately, after installing 4 different drivers im getting a BSOD (Driver is Mismanaging System PTEs).
Ive tried 275.33, 196.21, 190.62 & 180.84 (didnt recognise the hardware) all XP 32bit.
Ran Driver Sweeper between installing each too.

Its fine on the desktop, but i suspect anything on 2D is fine, loading XBMC, or even asking it to identify displays causes it to BSOD and me to pull my hair out.

I dont really wish to move to WHS 2011, was happy with WHS v1 until the USB Sound kept dying on me.

Associate
Is there an alternative to the Icybox 2.5 & 3.5 combined unit? Not bothered about access, so it can be fixed. Had a search but seen nothing so far.

Associate
After some advice from you guys. I am trying to install WHS2011 but the install keeps failing, no error in log but fails after 90% (always). This is a MSDN image that I have dl'ed multiple times, install from USB, DVD. I have change hdd to IDE, AHCI. No luck and same results. I can however install Windows7 image just fine.

Any ideas?

Cheers :)

Associate
After some advice from you guys. I am trying to install WHS2011 but the install keeps failing, no error in log but fails after 90% (always). This is a MSDN image that I have dl'ed multiple times, install from USB, DVD. I have change hdd to IDE, AHCI. No luck and same results. I can however install Windows7 image just fine.

Any ideas?

Cheers :)

I have WHS 2011 installed from the same source (MSDN). I installed from USB memory stick and haven't had any issues. Are you using the updated BIOS?

Associate
Just the std bios it shipped with, not sure which one it is just now. did your dl keep getting interrupted and reconnecting? I thought it might be that but each dl has been the same and install fails at 90%. Annoying!!!

Associate
Just the std bios it shipped with, not sure which one it is just now. did your dl keep getting interrupted and reconnecting? I thought it might be that but each dl has been the same and install fails at 90%. Annoying!!!

I updated mine before starting any installation process. I would start by updating from this link http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...wEnvOID=4064&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=2

as it adds support to SBS 2011 which is similar to WHS 2011. No, I haven't had any issues with downloads.

Associate
Raid 10 is best you can lose up to 2 drives but only if they are not in the same stripe. You will lose a lot of space though and you require 4 drives. With 2 drives raid 1 is your only option. With software raid you can choose others like raid 5, but all is dependant on the number of drives you have. Software
raid 5 requires 3 minimum drives.

Associate
hi. just wanted some help regarding the cashback. i was wondering when it says proof of purchase, what has everyone sent? i received a delivery note which had the code, brand and description on it. would this be enough or am i looking for something else?

Soldato
hi. just wanted some help regarding the cashback. i was wondering when it says proof of purchase, what has everyone sent? i received a delivery note which had the code, brand and description on it. would this be enough or am i looking for something else?

A copy of the invoice from the supplier would be the normal option.

Back
Top Bottom