Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
slightly stupid question - a drive has died in my microserver - in the bios startup it is ahci 4, and when i look in windows disk manager it is disk 4. I think i have 6 drives in the microserver, does disk 4 in bios/windows relate to bay4 of the HP? don't want to pull the wrong drive!

Don
slightly stupid question - a drive has died in my microserver - in the bios startup it is ahci 4, and when i look in windows disk manager it is disk 4. I think i have 6 drives in the microserver, does disk 4 in bios/windows relate to bay4 of the HP? don't want to pull the wrong drive!

Check the serial numbers of the drives you can still see in windows :)

Soldato
Says "Microserver 4 bay" ??? so surely the drives are 1 to 4 (+ 1 more in "CD" space?). Where is 6th ?
Mel

Associate
What is the upgrade path from my N40L? Thinking of power consumption too.
N40L here too, it appears I haven't powered it on in 4 years though lol...

Funnily enough first boot went fine but the second time the red LED remained on, turned out the rear fan stopped reporting which is weird because checking the event log it's been complaining about that since 2014 without preventing the system from booting. As it's not really worth anything and still chugging along I plan to just use it for weekly backups.

Anyway to answer your question, the latest Microserver is the Gen10 Plus. Not sure how liberal HP is with the cash rebates these days but there's lots of reasonably priced used options especially if you also consider Gen8 or older (I think Gen8 is also the latest version with ILO included at no additional cost).

Associate
N40L here too, it appears I haven't powered it on in 4 years though lol...

Funnily enough first boot went fine but the second time the red LED remained on, turned out the rear fan stopped reporting which is weird because checking the event log it's been complaining about that since 2014 without preventing the system from booting. As it's not really worth anything and still chugging along I plan to just use it for weekly backups.

Anyway to answer your question, the latest Microserver is the Gen10 Plus. Not sure how liberal HP is with the cash rebates these days but there's lots of reasonably priced used options especially if you also consider Gen8 or older (I think Gen8 is also the latest version with ILO included at no additional cost).
Going to fire up my old microservers and see what's on them

Associate
Does anybody still run the original N36L?
Still going strong here.
Check out the power on hours for my samsung 2TB drives (4 of them), 12 years!

Soldato
Fired up the microserver to do some testing today. 1 ssd and 2 mechanical drives in it. Windows server 2022 doesnt support drive spin down but looks like server 2016 does so will be using windows server 2016 from now on. I still got server 2008 r2 on one machine so will update that too. Id still stick with server 2008 for my use case but need support for 4kn drives so got to upgrade to 2016 and live with that forever

Back
Top Bottom