Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Cleaning out the loft and found 2 of my old n36l devices, tested them and both powered up ok. Are they still of any use for local storage? If so, is it best to run a standard *nix install and nfs or look at one of the nas specific os? It will literally to be hold backups of projects I’ll be working on

Associate
What's going wrong with your N54L? Ive not found anything in the price bracket i originally paid for my N40L that seems like a worthwhile upgrade. Especially whilst mine is still working fine.

Associate
What's going wrong with your N54L? Ive not found anything in the price bracket i originally paid for my N40L that seems like a worthwhile upgrade. Especially whilst mine is still working fine.
Not entirely sure yet, tbh and nothing's changed I can think of.

It's been running Unraid and some docker containers 24/7 for years now with no problems, but in the last fortnight have had it go completely unresponsive and become unreachable over the network while sounding like it's about to take off at the same time. Have had to hard reset it and the CPU is stuck at 100% for at least 15-20 mins after it boots back up, which I'm sure it didn't used to.

Associate
My N36L PSU died one me, any current go to options these days ? Is there a recommended small server go to option like the N54L onwards or whatever latest/last one was?
I could either replace the PSU and move to UnRaid (as currently on Server 2012), or build/buy new server or go to a NAS option.
Not quite sure what to do, want something simple but expandable, mainly for storing movies, photos and back up of documents etc.
Posted in the other thread (Home media server) before realising there was a dedicated thread for the HP microservers.
Anyone replaced the PSU in theirs - if so was it an easy swap out and where is best place to get a decent replacement PSU

Last edited:
Soldato
I've taken my PSU out a couple of times in order to test and replace the fan for a quiet one. IIRC it just unscrews and slides out. You'll need to feed the cables back into the various bays but that isn't too hard - suggest you number/label the ones as they come out, and then copy the layout with the new one. I know you can buy them, I think it might even be a standard size unit.

Last edited:
Associate
Not entirely sure yet, tbh and nothing's changed I can think of.

It's been running Unraid and some docker containers 24/7 for years now with no problems, but in the last fortnight have had it go completely unresponsive and become unreachable over the network while sounding like it's about to take off at the same time. Have had to hard reset it and the CPU is stuck at 100% for at least 15-20 mins after it boots back up, which I'm sure it didn't used to.
I had a similar thing a while ago, thought my boot ssd had failed.

A new sata cable saved the day.

Soldato
My N36L PSU died one me, any current go to options these days ? Is there a recommended small server go to option like the N54L onwards or whatever latest/last one was?
I could either replace the PSU and move to UnRaid (as currently on Server 2012), or build/buy new server or go to a NAS option.
Not quite sure what to do, want something simple but expandable, mainly for storing movies, photos and back up of documents etc.
Posted in the other thread (Home media server) before realising there was a dedicated thread for the HP microservers.
Anyone replaced the PSU in theirs - if so was it an easy swap out and where is best place to get a decent replacement PSU

Did you make any decision on what path to take?

My Gen10 MS is playing up (it needs three goes at booting as it reports a thermal error). A good clean-out might help but it will be 6 years old in a couple of months, so I'm pondering replacement options.

Synology DS423+ - Synology official SSDs or M2 NVME are not cheap (no support if not on the compatibility list)
QNAP TS-464 - seems to be unclear which models (4GB or 8GB) have expandable memory but if it does have SO-DIMM slots, people report having 32GB working
Gen10+ V2 MS - Need to add a Smart-Array controller if going down the ESXi route again, so then have to check if non-HP drives still work

Associate

My Gen10 MS is playing up (it needs three goes at booting as it reports a thermal error). A good clean-out might help but it will be 6 years old in a couple of months, so I'm pondering replacement options.

Synology DS423+ - Synology official SSDs or M2 NVME are not cheap (no support if not on the compatibility list)
QNAP TS-464 - seems to be unclear which models (4GB or 8GB) have expandable memory but if it does have SO-DIMM slots, people report having 32GB working
Gen10+ V2 MS - Need to add a Smart-Array controller if going down the ESXi route again, so then have to check if non-HP drives still work
Take apart and re-apply thermal paste?

N40L still doing its thing for me. Just wondering if a more power efficient option would now be sensible.

Man of Honour
Mine is still going strong too (N54l) but will be using it as offline storage soon. It consumes too much power these days
This is what I do now with my N40L. It's powered down unless I specifically want to get to it. For my online storage I host my own Nextcloud server on a very low power device.

Associate

Hi,
No, no decision made as yet, got side tracked with other things , still need to figure out a solution.
in two minds whether to buy a NAS or build server with UnRaid, leaning towards NAS (was also looking at the QNAP TS-464 or even 664) for the simplicity and lack of time to source parts and build etc, but haven't quite made the decision.

Associate
This is what I do now with my N40L. It's powered down unless I specifically want to get to it. For my online storage I host my own Nextcloud server on a very low power device.

Without monitoring the output at the wall I'm guessing...

My N40L CPU has a TDP of 15W, the N54L is 25W.
The 4 disks will be ~5W each

I'm probably looking at close to 50W idle to run my N40L, a nice saving to be had if I get it running on a rasp pi 5.

Don
Without monitoring the output at the wall I'm guessing...

My N40L CPU has a TDP of 15W, the N54L is 25W.
The 4 disks will be ~5W each

I'm probably looking at close to 50W idle to run my N40L, a nice saving to be had if I get it running on a rasp pi 5.

TDP isn't the same as power draw - those TDP's will be absolute worst case for the processor running flat out, although equally the power draw of the microserver isn't just the CPU.

Equally a Pi5 is a lot more power hungry than previous versions, and when fully loaded will probably be getting on for 25w as well (5a @ 5v psu), as well as having other factors like how to connect and power hard drives

@sad099 - replacement PSUs used to be easy enough to get hold of (believe they are just a 1U Flex ATX) - I used a Seasonic SS-250SU, which was quieter and more efficient than the stock PSU.

Associate
Interesting point about replacement PSU. Though I'm not sure throwing any money at a (currently working) N40L is a wise investment. The quietness is an appeal though as it sits in my office with me.

Associate
TDP isn't the same as power draw - those TDP's will be absolute worst case for the processor running flat out, although equally the power draw of the microserver isn't just the CPU.

Equally a Pi5 is a lot more power hungry than previous versions, and when fully loaded will probably be getting on for 25w as well (5a @ 5v psu), as well as having other factors like how to connect and power hard drives

@sad099 - replacement PSUs used to be easy enough to get hold of (believe they are just a 1U Flex ATX) - I used a Seasonic SS-250SU, which was quieter and more efficient than the stock PSU.
Thanks, good to know

Soldato
Hi,
No, no decision made as yet, got side tracked with other things , still need to figure out a solution.
in two minds whether to buy a NAS or build server with UnRaid, leaning towards NAS (was also looking at the QNAP TS-464 or even 664) for the simplicity and lack of time to source parts and build etc, but haven't quite made the decision.

Cheers. A bit more digging seems to show the TS-464 8GB is (possibly) soldered RAM and the 4GB version has 2 x SO-DIMM.

On the subject of power use, my G10 is plugged into a CyberPower UPS and the monitoring software for that claims to report power consumption (no idea how accurate it is though!). The report for December shows:

37.593 kWh Total Energy Use
1.2127 kWh Average Daily Energy Use

Two online convertors I've tried both claim the daily energy use converts to 50w which doesn't seem too bad. My server has 24GB RAM, a Smart Array P420/1GB, 2 x 500GB SSD and 2 x 2TB HD. Usually 5 VMs running on it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom