Good lease deals on less than great cars

Soldato
So DTD are saying £18,075 with options, and I could qualify for the Ford scrappage scheme to get a further £1,500 off, but... I'm about to move house and I'd have to get the V5 sent off for my current car to move it to the new address, order before 31st March (can't order without the V5), and somehow make sure the car is delivered before the end of September to make sure I get that further discount. Ford are doing 0% finance for 24 month deals only, and 1.2% for 36 month deals.

Plus, I think with the house move, my credit rating may take a bit of a beating as I come out of contracts etc for my utilities as I'm moving in with someone.
I'm not saying you need to go down and order today. If you are moving house then maybe don't get a new car at all.

But definitely don't go for that lease deal (which is also finance and also requires a credit check from Ford btw) :p

Soldato
As said, if you’re fussy about spec then leasing probably isn’t right, paying monthly to cover the full cost of an option only to Hand it back at the end for the lease company to get a 2nd benefit of more for resale on top of your option money.

For me I have a budget and just look to get the best spec I can. I was in an A class merc on the last deal on a 1+23 @ £220 a month, now I’m in a Focus ST Line X on a 6 + 35 @ £211 a month. I wouldn’t usually got for a 3yr deal but it’ll be the wife’s car in 12 months when the other lease car goes back and she wanted to keep it a bit longer. I’m not bothered about make/model, it just needs the right things.

2yr deals are the best, I’ve got a 4yr deal on a Clio, my first lease when I didn’t understand the benefit of 2yr deals, I’ve had to out tyres on it for £220 recently, got an MOT in 2 weeks, 4 services in total, it also looks a bit scrappy inside. I haven’t come across a company yet though who will take a lease back early without the need for a final service, but it’s one to keep in mind.

Soldato
Soldato
Getting back on track:

Audi A8 3.0TDI Quattro
£3,600 initial
23 * £347.99
5k/pa but others available.
Metallic Paint, Navigation system, Heated Front Seats, Adaptive Cruise Control, Head Up Display, Power tailgate, Rear View Camera, Parking System Plus, Cooled Glovebox, LED Ambient lighting Pack, Adaptive Air Suspension, Virtual Cockpit, Advanced Key with Audi Hands Free boot opening system

£483.49mo/£11,603.724 over 2 years, or roughly 16% of MSRP (which I lazily grabbed from Audi not including the options, so it's probably even lower than that)

[email protected] if you're interested

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Wonder how horrendous the excess mileage is? 5k PA on a 3.0 diesel? :/

My mileage is the only thing stopping me junli g onto leases tbh. 30k+ a year would be excruciatingly expensive...

Soldato
It's normally about £10/mo per extra 1,000 miles. If you're doing 30k per year then leasing definitely isn't for you.

I can work out sometimes. I've never taken the plunge but have looked in the past and also do 30k/annum. As an example a lot of the VAG deals are 6-7p per mile so an extra £120 per month or so to increase from 10k to 30k per year.

Soldato
So my annual mileage has jumped to 20k per year (from about 7-8k) and with that I need something a bit better than the petrol 3 series we currently have (wife will be changing it to a 1 series for her in June when it's 3 years old) so was looking at a 1.5 diesel focus, does anyone have any advice on these as I was looking at a 2 year deal (is only £1-2 pm more expensive than 48 months) with 9 months initial payment and 22.5k a year?

https://www.nationwidevehiclecontra...1-5-tdci-120-st-line-navigation-5dr-74305.htm

Soldato
So my annual mileage has jumped to 20k per year (from about 7-8k) and with that I need something a bit better than the petrol 3 series we currently have (wife will be changing it to a 1 series for her in June when it's 3 years old) so was looking at a 1.5 diesel focus, does anyone have any advice on these as I was looking at a 2 year deal (is only £1-2 pm more expensive than 48 months) with 9 months initial payment and 22.5k a year?

https://www.nationwidevehiclecontra...1-5-tdci-120-st-line-navigation-5dr-74305.htm
Not specific advice on that deal but in general if you're going high mileage I would consider maintenance as handing back a car with around 50k I would not want to worry about servicing or tyres so I would factor that cost in and see if it may be worth it.

Other than that consider going direct to the dealership to see if they can match without fees or see if its cheaper to get less miles and pay mileage after.

Again not specific to your deal just a few points to keep in mind.

Soldato
Not specific advice on that deal but in general if you're going high mileage I would consider maintenance as handing back a car with around 50k I would not want to worry about servicing or tyres so I would factor that cost in and see if it may be worth it.

Other than that consider going direct to the dealership to see if they can match without fees or see if its cheaper to get less miles and pay mileage after.

Again not specific to your deal just a few points to keep in mind.

I have saved the quote as I'm going to our Ford dealer this weekend to check the car out (never driven a Focus and the last Ford I had was a 24v Probe which is a very different beast) and when I was looking at BMWs Stratstone said they'd beat any online lease quote as the lease companies tend to get the cars from the dealers anyway.

Maintenance adds about 40-50 per month so £500-600 extra year

Soldato
I have saved the quote as I'm going to our Ford dealer this weekend to check the car out (never driven a Focus and the last Ford I had was a 24v Probe which is a very different beast) and when I was looking at BMWs Stratstone said they'd beat any online lease quote as the lease companies tend to get the cars from the dealers anyway.

Maintenance adds about 40-50 per month so £500-600 extra year

Do dealers often match online quotes? I was in a VW dealership yesterday looking at and arranging a Golf R testdrive, I asked if their lease deals were competitive and they wasn't very confident.

Associate
Do dealers often match online quotes? I was in a VW dealership yesterday looking at and arranging a Golf R testdrive, I asked if their lease deals were competitive and they wasn't very confident.

It depends, if a deal is funded by VWFS then all the dealers get it and the lease companies will piggy back on that and order cars via their dealer contacts. Got my current gti from a VW dealer as they were the cheapest rates before even taking the agents fees into account (although many dealers are now getting on the fees bandwagon).
However if the deal is funded by another finance house eg, Lex, Hitachi etc. then the dealers will not have access to it as they only work with VWFS.
There aren't any really great deals on golf r's at the moment, I've been looking for my mrs.

Soldato
It depends, if a deal is funded by VWFS then all the dealers get it and the lease companies will piggy back on that and order cars via their dealer contacts. Got my current gti from a VW dealer as they were the cheapest rates before even taking the agents fees into account (although many dealers are now getting on the fees bandwagon).
However if the deal is funded by another finance house eg, Lex, Hitachi etc. then the dealers will not have access to it as they only work with VWFS.
There aren't any really great deals on golf r's at the moment, I've been looking for my mrs.

Thanks for the information, I haven't made my mind up yet it's between an Alfa Giulia a VW Golf R and a BMW M240i. Just starting to sort out test drives now. Although the BMW is maybe just slightly out of budget, I'm hoping the deals that were around a few months ago return.

What deals have you seen for the Golf? Currently they're around..

£266.76
Per Month, INC VAT
Rental Profile 9+23
Annual Mileage 10k Miles p/a
Initial Rental £2,400.84
Additional Fees £295.00

Which I thought was ok.

Associate
Very similar, that's about 8.9k for the term of the lease which is nothing special, about 26% of list price.
Her current R was just under 7k for the 2 years and that is a 5 door dsg car in lapiz blue - not sure we'll see that sort of deal again though.

The issue you will have is the best deals are not always on the cars you really want unless you are very, very lucky. When I was renewing last year I took out my current golf even though it meant finishing my previous lease 2 months early as the deal was so good.
They're 3 quite different cars but I would also consider alternatives in case a great deal comes along, eg the Seat Leon Cupra 300 is possibly one of the best hot hatch deals at the moment.
1x23 £269.99 inc vat on 8k pa. £179 fee 6.5ppm +vat for additional miles
£6993 over 2 years, including additional mileage charge for 4k miles to match the golf r terms
mileage fee would be £335 but VWFS almost always offer extra mileage during a lease term at a discounted rate.

Only downside is August /September delivery as the deal has been so popular and lead times have rolled into the summer shutdown, and its 2wd.

Soldato
That was a good deal! I quite like the Cupra but don't feel it's as exciting to look at as the Alfa or as refined the Golf or BMW. The ones I've been looking at are in stock vehicles. I can't wait for a delivery.
I'm due to be starting kidney dialysis soon, and if all goes well will be having a kidney transplant around September. I'm about 50 miles from the transplant hospital and will be going there a lot during the build up, and afterwards. This is the reason why I want a new car with maintenance, for the reliability*.

* I know mentioning Alfas and reliability in the same paragraph is an oxymoron. It's why the Golf is probably leading the way atm.

The other thing I'm having to take into consideration is comfort, I get a lot of discomfort from bumps in the road. The old SLK I have is quite painful in the kidneys to drive now. After about 30 mins of driving it I'm completely exhausted. The Golf felt quite snug when I sat in it. I've asked to test drive one with dcc, so we can test out a few suspension settings.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just taken delivery of our second lease car today for my wife, its a Tiguan R Line DSG 190 4Motion standard spec, paid £2k deposit and £283 a month on a 3 year 24k deal, so £12,188 over the 3 years, less whatever 3 years tax was? I honestly don't think leasing is a bad thing, the car has a RRP of about £38k so after 3 years my guess best bet would be £18-20k (if anywhere near that) trade in which means its better deal than buying

Soldato
Maybe so but do you honestly think id get the difference in a discount from a dealer? I tried carwow and the best i got was 3k off so no

especially as we got a 150>190 model upgrade for free

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom