Good lease deals on less than great cars

Soldato
There is always an issue with how they advertise deals - massive up front payments!

The actual advertising is somewhat skewed annoyingly, but for the most part (if using searches) you select how many months upfront etc. so you don't get that sort of thing happening as much when you are actively looking vs passive advertising.

Man of Honour
If you think about it all we're really seeing here is leasing back to where it really always was - the occasionally amazing deal made a lot of people think that leasing is generally a good idea yet in almost all cases, even historically, it probably isn't.

In reality it is almost always the most expensive way of having a car - it is a long term hire car and the costs reflect that. Somebody else has to buy it and take the risk on its depreciation and then rent it to you at a profit. I think it is rarely the case really that personal leasing ever makes sense over other forms of vehicle financing.

Soldato
If you think about it all we're really seeing here is leasing back to where it really always was - the occasionally amazing deal made a lot of people think that leasing is generally a good idea yet in almost all cases, even historically, it probably isn't.

In reality it is almost always the most expensive way of having a car - it is a long term hire car and the costs reflect that. Somebody else has to buy it and take the risk on its depreciation and then rent it to you at a profit. I think it is rarely the case really that personal leasing ever makes sense over other forms of vehicle financing.

yep I’m proper put off now - I may have to go pcp or something

Soldato
Need a new car asap, seems the 2nd market is just silly atm, so I've been looking at leasing.
found a Corsa 1.2T SRI 130BHP automatic for £227 per month 8k miles no deposit/brokers fee and 1years free insurance.

Caporegime

Discounts. Manufacturers used to have a surplus of new cars and dumped them to the lease market at massive discount from new. That isnt the case now, they cant make enough for the orders they have with some cars now one year delivery.

Gone are the days when a £54k VW Touareg was discounted to £38k to lease and cost less than £500 per month with 3 months up front for 3 years.

nam

nam

Soldato
good lease deals are done. having had a golf r (leasegate :D) and a Audi S4 in 2018 for just over £200 , 6.5 k over 2 years . It is a dream now. Car manufacturers have cottoned on limited supply means they can charge near RRP rather than offer discounts and people are still buying them. They are making record profits so why would they go back to the old ways of making high volume only then having to discount them to sell. Plus rising interest rates of course.

Soldato
Need a new car asap, seems the 2nd market is just silly atm, so I've been looking at leasing.
found a Corsa 1.2T SRI 130BHP automatic for £227 per month 8k miles no deposit/brokers fee and 1years free insurance.
I was PCP'ing a Fiesta 1.6 Zetec S with Ford Privilege for £225/mo about 10 years ago so £227 with no depo and a years insurance sounds like an absolute steel.

Soldato
I was PCP'ing a Fiesta 1.6 Zetec S with Ford Privilege for £225/mo about 10 years ago so £227 with no depo and a years insurance sounds like an absolute steel.
That’s what I thought, was originally looking at 2nd hand for around 8k, but used prices are crazy.
Also noticed lots of cat s car being sold!!

Soldato
That’s what I thought, was originally looking at 2nd hand for around 8k, but used prices are crazy.
Also noticed lots of cat s car being sold!!
You mentioned you needed the car ASAP - have you checked the lead times for new Corsa deliveries? Could be a long wait ! [This is why the used car market is very strong]

Soldato
I've got a new (leased) car arriving at the end of next month and I'd normally not bat an eyelid at the extra insurance "deals" that companies try to sell you but I wanted to ask if on returned cars how costly minor marks can be (roughly)?

I'm fairly certain at least 2 of the wheels will be scrapped over the lease period as my missus hasn't had a car with alloy wheels before and her current wheel trims are battered :cry:

They've said cover would be £300 for wheels or body, or £400 for both. The last time I had wheels repaired (a few years ago) I paid around £300 for the set but that was a colour change/refurb not just tidying up scuffs.

edit: Ah, just found this thread - https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/damage-chargea-lease-return.18953970/

Permabanned
Have returned 3 lease cars, so far. Each had various pieces of minor damage. From wheels kerbed to small scuffs or scratches. Never had to pay more than around £200 and every time I have been pleasantly surprised not to have to pay more. Others mileage may vary. :)

Back
Top Bottom