Good quality beers

Soldato
Just tried Stone IPA. Very nice, so different to commercial mass market beers, almost mango initial taste and hardly any aftertaste and covers alcohol taste very well. Don't know how they manage that but pretty good. Costs a bit as well though.

Any other recommendations?

Soldato
Associate
It's just been pointed out you were asking for recommendations for other beers too.
So Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is relatively easy to get, as are some of the BrewDog beers. Badger's Hopping Hare might be an option, but might not have that massive hop aroma.
Find your local real ale pubs and talk to the landlord. Try the different beers, and keep going back. Join your local CAMRA group and take part in their beers festivals.
The Great British Beer Festival starts in Olympia today, get on a train and try a huge range....http://gbbf.org.uk/

Soldato
Woohoo, another convert.

Predictably, I'm going to mention Sierra Nevada. Torpedo is better than their Pale Ale but might be a bit much for you straight away.
As said, grab some Brewdog stuff (I hate the company, but they make some great beers). Trashy Blonde is my favourite of the common ones, but it's all good - though had a horrible pint of 5am yesterday. :(

Joker IPA seems to be taking off in bars nowadays as well and is worth checking out. I really like it - not as hoppy as the Stones but pretty nice.

Finally, Brooklyn Lager is tasty and worth a drink.

Associate
Ahleckz seems to know his stuff when it comes to beers, so I'd second the ones he has suggested.

I'd also add good old Duvel to the list. Solid, reliable, easy to get hold of and tasty.

Associate
Hey Ahleckz,

Just incase you don't know The Cave in Great Western Road (near the Kelivn Bridge) has a great range of foreign beers. Also The Good Spirit Co in Bath Street (The old 23rd Precinct) has a small but good selection also, and there's an excellent selection of Whisky, Rum & other spirits.

Soldato
Ahleckz seems to know his stuff when it comes to beers, so I'd second the ones he has suggested.

I'd also add good old Duvel to the list. Solid, reliable, easy to get hold of and tasty.

Cheers - Beer is my thing. Duvel is good, I prefer Chimay (Blue for me please) though. Belgian beers are quite different to the stuff coming out of America atm though so I didn't mention any. However, OP definitely pick up some Chimay, Leffe and Duvel.

Hey Ahleckz,

Just incase you don't know The Cave in Great Western Road (near the Kelivn Bridge) has a great range of foreign beers. Also The Good Spirit Co in Bath Street (The old 23rd Precinct) has a small but good selection also, and there's an excellent selection of Whisky, Rum & other spirits.

Hi Jimmy.

I've been in The Cave a couple of times, but admittedly not for quite some time. I'll have to pop in next time I'm over that side of the city. Quel Vin just up near Kelvinbridge (other way from The Cave) is pretty good for wine. Good wine shop, good beer shop, good cheese monger and good fish monger all within 200 yards of each other!

I'm a big fan of the Good Spirit Company, been to a bunch of their tastings as well which I've mentioned in the 'Now Drinking' thread. Fantastic shop. You ever go to the tastings?

Soldato
Cheers - Beer is my thing. Duvel is good, I prefer Chimay (Blue for me please) though. Belgian beers are quite different to the stuff coming out of America atm though so I didn't mention any. However, OP definitely pick up some Chimay, Leffe and Duvel.

Bit offtopic but it's funny you mention the American scene. Working with a guy who is over from Portland at the moment and it sounds like the scene over there is exploding. Portland has practically hundreds of microbrewery.

He also has a collection of Lambic beer and wants to go to Brussels just so he can ship another load back home. Which I think is pretty cool :D

Associate
I'm a big fan of the Good Spirit Company, been to a bunch of their tastings as well which I've mentioned in the 'Now Drinking' thread. Fantastic shop. You ever go to the tastings?

Hi, have not been to the tastings. I read and sometimes post on the whiskywhiskywhisky forum (as Jimmy321) where I have a few samples from the recent on-line tasting but have not got round to posting all my notes yet as I had a few unexpected off-line commitments and a HD failure! Anyway I've met Mark C and a few others from the Glasgow Whisky Festival and WWW forum members.

Associate
I would recommend Blue Moon Belgian White ( Is actually from the US ), Weihenstephan Heffe Weissbier or Chimay Red.

On the ale side you can't go wrong with a bottle of Fuller's 1845. Don't normally like ales from a bottle but this one is great, nice and full bodied and strong. Bottle conditioned too.

Having said that, as above homebrew can be great. Had some of my friend's the other week and was suprised how good it was. Really need to get into that, perhaps my next project hmmmm.......

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom