Good quality beers

Associate
Westvleteran. My dad brought me some, I later read it is considered the world's best beer. I don't personally go along with single best in the world, not as if you're could measure it. What it was though was probably the most enjoyable beer I've had. I also enjoyed delirium tremens.

Having lived in Munich, I really love german beers. Augustiner was my favourite Helles. I was quite partial to wheat beer from the UK schneiders brauhaus. Tap 7! Arcobrau, I believe they brew that at the airport, quite ok! Augustiner isn't exported as far as I know but you should be able to get some at the beer festival in London soon.

I have fond memories of drinking Sierra nevada pale off the coast of monterey. Nice beer.

Day to Day, I really like bier specialle from tesco. I read it is brewed by meantime and branded it was amazing for 1 pound a litre. Anyway it is discontinued in tesco..... But still available at sainsbury under the guise of St cervois. Cheap and very drinkable!

Going to the Camden brewery on Friday. Looking forward to tasting their beers.

Prost!

Soldato
Westvleteran. My dad brought me some, I later read it is considered the world's best beer. I don't personally go along with single best in the world, not as if you're could measure it. What it was though was probably the most enjoyable beer I've had. I also enjoyed delirium tremens.

Day to Day, I really like bier specialle from tesco. I read it is brewed by meantime and branded it was amazing for 1 pound a litre. Anyway it is discontinued in tesco..... But still available at sainsbury under the guise of St cervois. Cheap and very drinkable!

Jealous, really want to try some Westvleteran. Not keen on the prices when I've found it though.

Is that right about Speciale? How'd you find that one out? I'm also a fan of the beer. I'll check out Sainsburys tomorrow and see if there's a similarity. I'm a huge beer fan, but unfortunately I'm pretty poor so I enjoy seeking out a bargain!

Associate
Jealous, really want to try some Westvleteran. Not keen on the prices when I've found it though.

Is that right about Speciale? How'd you find that one out? I'm also a fan of the beer. I'll check out Sainsburys tomorrow and see if there's a similarity. I'm a huge beer fan, but unfortunately I'm pretty poor so I enjoy seeking out a bargain!

Where have you found it? My Dad tells me he went to the monastery and was allowed to buy a really small quantity. If you can get some, Treat yourself. If I were on beer death row, that would be my pick.

Regarding beer Speciale. It's the same beer, bottle and even cap. Just the label is different. Let me know if you agree!

Soldato
Aye, they only sell 1 crate per person or something mad like that. It was for sale in a bar in Brugges. Stupidly expensive.

I'll grab a case tomorrow and let you know.

Associate
Erdinger all the way, most supermarkets sell it as well.

It's good but I'm lucky that I can get Erdinger Pikantus (Weizen Bock), all the Schneider Weisse Tap's (Tap 4 & 5 are my fav Tap's), Weihenstephaner Vitus (another really good Weizen Bock) and a good selection of others with a 40 min round trip, yeah I know 40 mins but it's worth it to get good beers.

Soldato
Not a problem mate, I posted about it this week in the 'now drinking thread'

ABOUT THIS BEER:
Elgoods Brewery, in the heart of the Cambridgeshire Fens, has been in the Elgood family since 1878. To make this special celebration ale, we've used fittingly special ingredients: pale ale malt from barley grown on the Sandringham Estate, together with an English hop variety called Sovereign that was bred a decade ago to mark the Queen's golden jubilee. :)

Thanks, going to keep an eye out for that next time I'm in M&S :)

Caporegime
Thanks, going to keep an eye out for that next time I'm in M&S :)

No problem, hope you manage to get some and more importantly enjoy it :) Forgot to mention it's a pint bottle so should be easy to find. If by chance you can't source it then try some Southwold Blonde Beer (middle one in pic below), I found it another nice beer.

20120608221913193.jpg

Soldato
I'm going to doublepost, because it's relevant to both threads.

Last night, I had the following:

Brewdog Punk IPA
Brewdog Trashy Blonde
Anchor Liberty Ale
Goose Island Harvest Ale
Piratt
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

We all know what Punk & Trashy are like (good).
The Liberty Ale is a 6% American IPA. It's nice and bitter, not too strong, had a surprisingly creamy and longlasting head (something lacking from our friends from Fraserburgh. Nice and pale, but had a good grassy and citrusy push in the taste. I highly recommend it. 8/10.
Goose Island Harvest Ale - Rated one point below Liberty Ale on BA. I think that's pretty generous. It wasn't bad, far from it, but it didn't wow or excite me. It's 5.6% and I think that's part of the problem. For the colour and texture it really needs a bit of alcohol to cut through it, but it just didn't seem to ever come. It's an American Bitter (apparently) - which is very different to the Bitters over here but nevermind. I got caramel and liquorice from it. Again, not a bad head retention. It was my first dip into Goose Island stuff and I doubt I'll be back in a hurry. 6/10.
Piratt. SHEEEEEESH. I had this a while back, and I wasn't impressed. This bottle had been at the back of my girlfriends fridge for months. I wasn't expecting much, but it was truly excellent. A strong (10.5%), but like any good ale you don't know it, Belgian ale. The head is full, sticky, and lingering. The taste is sharp, there's a slight lambic taste in the background which just urges you to drink more. Nice and malty (which I love), more dry hopping would be fabulous (but then again, what beer wouldn't benefit from it? ;)) and an almost toasty sort of flavour. BA gives it 90, which I think is very fair. For me? 9/10.
And finally, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Anyone that has read a post of mine in this section that is about alcohol will know I'm a huge SN fan. The availability of this beer is fantastic (Asda, Tesco & Morrison's all stock it), and I urge you to try it. It's a big American IPA. Nice and hoppy, and full of flavour - spiciness being the prevalent one. The head isn't great, but because I love it so much it get's poured into my throat quicker than the head can dissipate. However, I perhaps shouldn't have saved this until last - it was a bit lost of me truth be told but I know how good it can be. Different to the Piratt, so I wouldn't want to say which is better. However, I'd go for the SN each time. 9/10. (Their Torpedo is a 9.5 - I've yet to have anything better).

Back
Top Bottom