good space ship game?

Soldato
any good spaceship game around where you get to fly the ship and also upgrade it by buying stuff etc?

last game i played was one called elite, awsome but getting to other solarsystems and stuff was just too difficult.

need a good game where you do up the ship and can buy stuff like shields etc and guns and what not.

anything good out there that will run on vista64?

Soldato
OP
do those games allow you to do proper ship fights like star wars tie fighter game? or is it just a role playing game? would love a proper shooter type game.

Associate
No star control's not like that. It has a top down perspective like gta. I'm not sure but i dont think theres been any decent space sims since freespace 2.

Man of Honour
If you want a pure combat game Freespace 2 (modded) is hard to beat. The control system is complex yet intuitive, and the campaign storyline is also very involving.

The only thing missing that you desire is the ability to upgrade your ship (you are limited to choosing weapon loadouts). But the actual combat and storyline is second to none, better than the likes of Freelancer for example.

There is also a very string modding community for the game (see http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/board,50.0.html ), so graphically it still looks very good despite being a game from the previous millenium.

Soldato
OP
will pick up x3 tomorrow then, may get that spaceforce game too. hopefully i can upgrade my ship so its super powerful and enemy wepons don;t even put a dent in the shields :D

Soldato
X3 is very very very slow though, plus its not all 'go round picking fights with bigger ships' cause if you do well...you'll get fragged, star trek bridge commander with loads of ship/effect mods is still a good game :)

Soldato
OP
surly a small fast well armed ship is gonna be a hard to hit target for a big slow and hard to manuver ship? or are the bigger ships like massive star destroyers which take billions of hits to take down??

Soldato
Cyber-Mav said:
surly a small fast well armed ship is gonna be a hard to hit target for a big slow and hard to manuver ship? or are the bigger ships like massive star destroyers which take billions of hits to take down??

you want Edge of Chaos: Independence War 2. Still looks good these days despite being old. But has the kind off gameplay you are looking for.
Semi-realistic spacetype physics and you need a joystick to get best out of it. Its a combination of both freeform gameplay and mission based structure.

Of the other games ppl are mentioning

x3 : extremely slow and dogfighting isnt its priority. It emphasises building factories and stuff rather than individual ship v world. If you have a lot of time on your hands then yeah.

Freespace 2: havent played but i dont know if it has the sorta freeform universe thing? i think its mission structure based a bit like Starlancer? ie space dogfighting but not as much trading etc

Eve online : Isnt even close. If you fancy something slow but something that doesnt require all your attention so you can chill out at the same time.

Spaceforce: reviews have been pretty bad. got 35% in latest pcgamer.

Freelancer: Is very good. Combat is a little simplistic (designed for mouse n keyboard rather than joystick) But has good atmosphere and quite good graphics and gameplay. Not totally freeform but you can trade etc.

Soldato
OP
will have a look at Edge of Chaos: Independence War 2

deffo would like to make a solid ship and fly out into space and randomy batter planets/space stations and other people.

can you do stuff like put gangster shields on the ship so making it had to take down in a fight without serious concentrated firepower?

Back
Top Bottom