Google Home

Associate
I presume this will only work on the GH that you initiate the call on? i.e I won't be able to walk between devices and continue the conversation as obviously you wouldn't want everyone in the house able to hear it

Soldato
Tried it this morning, works great. Called my mum, she was confused as there was no number shown. Meanwhile the app on my phone is saying "What number do you want to show" it then texts you a code to put in your phone, so next time, my number will show up.

Call quality was great, will definitely use it, probably more than calling people from my mobile!

My mum (who has a Mini) was worried about call charges, but I assume it's all IP telephony, so not against any call plan?

Also, you hang up on the Home by tapping to the top. Anyone know how you hang up on a Mini where the top tap is disabled?

Soldato
Yes, you can. Easier with the standard home as it has a 3.5mm stereo output, the mini doesn't so you have to mod it. The mini gets as loud as you'd ever need for voice imo. I measured between 86 and 90db from about 12ft at full tilt. I normally have our Living room minin set to 40%. It's not great for music though, obviously.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes, you can. Easier with the standard home as it has a 3.5mm stereo output, the mini doesn't so you have to mod it. The mini gets as loud as you'd ever need for voice imo. I measured between 86 and 90db from about 12ft at full tilt. I normally have our Living room minin set to 40%. It's not great for music though, obviously.

Thanks.

I never knew the Google Home had a 3.5mm jack out. Which is good news for me :)

Just been looking at the normal google home, and I can't see a 3.5mm stereo output :confused::o

Soldato
It's the home max that has a 3.5 socket but that's an input, not output. Apologies, looks like you have to mod all the models.

kainz said:
It hasn't - none of the google home products have one. You've got to buy a Clowncast Audio for external audio.

That's for music and video. You can't send the Google home voice to a Chromecast.

Soldato
No, it won't :(

So it looks like there are no restrictions on who can call with home. If a voice isn't recognised, sometimes our home will say that and stop but sometimes it will misinterpret the voice and call the closest search result instead. My son just managed to prank Jane Smith Financial planning, wherever they are. I can see this causing problems lol

Soldato
No, it won't :(

So it looks like there are no restrictions on who can call with home. If a voice isn't recognised, sometimes our home will say that and stop but sometimes it will misinterpret the voice and call the closest search result instead. My son just managed to prank Jane Smith Financial planning, wherever they are. I can see this causing problems lol

Just got mine setup and it's loud enough :) I tried to use the new call option. It works but most people won't answer their phone as it come up with "Unknown Number" :(

Associate
go into the google home app, hit the menu on the left hand side, go to 'more settings' select 'calls on speakers' option near the bottom.

You will see a 'Your own number' field at the top
hit edit
input your full mobile number, it will send you a text to verify the number, input the verification code and voila! it will use your mobile number as the caller id

As i understand it this can be done for each account linked to the GH so if your partner etc uses it it would show their number as caller id

Soldato
go into the google home app, hit the menu on the left hand side, go to 'more settings' select 'calls on speakers' option near the bottom.

You will see a 'Your own number' field at the top
hit edit
input your full mobile number, it will send you a text to verify the number, input the verification code and voila! it will use your mobile number as the caller id

As i understand it this can be done for each account linked to the GH so if your partner etc uses it it would show their number as caller id

That worked... Thanks :)

Soldato
Wow, just tested and that's quite brilliant!

For some reason I assumed it was going to just allow you to communicate with other people using their google homes rather than call any phone, love it!

Associate
Wow, just tested and that's quite brilliant!

For some reason I assumed it was going to just allow you to communicate with other people using their google homes rather than call any phone, love it!

Beats the experience mother whskycycle has had with her Echos... Got Home dotted all over the house now myself, don't care if Ok Google and his corporate Overlords are listening to our every move, and plotting new threads and PR to parrot, they're just so damn useful!

Permabanned
OP
Beats the experience mother whskycycle has had with her Echos... Got Home dotted all over the house now myself, don't care if Ok Google and his corporate Overlords are listening to our every move, and plotting new threads and PR to parrot, they're just so damn useful!

Ha! No extra charge for the tinfoil hat.

But seriously, when Amazon heralded this on Echo back in October in the UK, all they are able to do is talk to someone else who has an Echo Home.

Google Home has taken it to a whole new level----anyone on your contact list and businesses. You can use it to call your local dentist, pharmacy, hairdresser, etc.

Soldato
Ha! No extra charge for the tinfoil hat.

But seriously, when Amazon heralded this on Echo back in October in the UK, all they are able to do is talk to someone else who has an Echo Home.

Google Home has taken it to a whole new level----anyone on your contact list and businesses. You can use it to call your local dentist, pharmacy, hairdresser, etc.
I'm not sure Google has 'taken it to a whole new level', when there has been calling on Alexa in the US since last year using the Echo Connect. That needs a phoneline but it does the same thing functionally.

Still, although not revolutionary, definitely a nice feature and especially useful for the amount of conference calls I do. Does it support incoming calls like the Echo Connect?

Back
Top Bottom