Google Home

Associate
ok guys thought i would share this last night my GH updated to 90387 ,so hoping for that "wow" moment to try out the blue tooth, i was met with disapointment that bluetooth was not in this upgrade , i spoke with the google home support page and was told that i was right it is not in this update and it woulkd be avaiable in the coming months , now my question is has anybody else got the update and is bluetooth working ,thanks in advance dave

Soldato
I don't really know why they separated the shopping list from Keep though, it's really quite annoying. Anyone found a simple way to access it rather than through the home app and then into a browser?

Permabanned
OP
I don't really know why they separated the shopping list from Keep though, it's really quite annoying. Anyone found a simple way to access it rather than through the home app and then into a browser?

I agree that the only way I have found to access Shopping List (from Keep) is by opening the Home app. Yes it is an extra step involved. I use it a lot so it has become second nature however.

Meanwhile, a question to AnyCr15 and all on this thread:

Bought the iKettle (3rd gen) and, using my Pixel and their Smarter 3.0 app in the Play Store, I can remotely turn on their smart kettle, boil water, check water levels, set timers, keep water warm after boil, etc, which is really cool. I note that I can use IFTTT to write an applet to use via Google Home but I have not yet done it. I posted the question to the IFTTT forum but did not receive a helpful answer.

So my question: has anyone experience in working on IFTTT applets who can help me set up the applet/write it to get the smart kettle to function through Home?

Permabanned
OP
OK, a little persistence and I have got the iKettle 3.0 working with Google Home using IFTTT.

I would prefer it if Google made the iKettle 3.0 a native action rather than having to work via IFTTT since I cannot believe I am the only person in the UK owning Google Home that would like a voice activated kettle boiling action!

Anyway, if anyone else interested I hooked the iKettle app software, Smarter 3.0 to IFTTT, created the applet and response from Home in IFTTT This then That and presto.

A really useful action that I use now from the comfort of my bed in the morning for that first cup of tea! The wife is impressed too!

Permabanned
OP
I do, But disabled the voice command, However I doubt it's actually disabled

Anyone using social networks, Amazon, Google, Apple, Snap, Twitter, etc have long since given their data for free services. Heck, walking down the street must be a creepy experience for you as Big Brother is no doubt watching your every move through CCTV cameras.

Chill.

Soldato
OK, a little persistence and I have got the iKettle 3.0 working with Google Home using IFTTT.

I would prefer it if Google made the iKettle 3.0 a native action rather than having to work via IFTTT since I cannot believe I am the only person in the UK owning Google Home that would like a voice activated kettle boiling action!

Anyway, if anyone else interested I hooked the iKettle app software, Smarter 3.0 to IFTTT, created the applet and response from Home in IFTTT This then That and presto.

A really useful action that I use now from the comfort of my bed in the morning for that first cup of tea! The wife is impressed too!

I've been looking at one of those kettles, good to know there is a way to get it working albeit with IFTTT.

Permabanned
OP
I've been looking at one of those kettles, good to know there is a way to get it working albeit with IFTTT.

Yes it does. I bought the iKettle 3.0 from Lakeland (3 year warranty also a big selling point for me because our kettles tend to last much less!). I have registered my interest with Google Home support to be able to link this kettle natively with GH, just like Nest, Philips Hue lights, etc. Hope my recommendation gets accepted by GH.

Meanwhile I assume you are aware that IFTTT also allows you to add items to your Google Calendar using voice on GH? I find this useful too.

In view of Google Assistant (which is built into GH) already on more than 100 million devices globally, and the fact that GH is now available in 4 countries (US, UK, Canada and Australia) and to be available in France and Germany within the next fortnight (with French and German language capability), I have to believe that Google will be adding more and more native actions into Home.

In speaking today with a sales rep at Curry's I was interested to hear from him that he understands Nest will be introducing a smart doorbell device before the end of this year. Curry's sells a device called Ring but it is not compatible with GH according to the Curry's rep. I told him I would anyway prefer to wait for the Nest device (you will see who rings your doorbell on your Android device). Ring has a low resolution camera (720 rather than 1080) so I would assume that Nest quality would be higher. I already enjoy using Nest Thermostat and Nest Protect and recommend them highly as they link well with GH.

Permabanned
OP
You can see on your phone with Ring who is at your door. Also, they do a 1080p version.

Not sure how you would use GH with a doorbell?

Agree it is not possible to link via a Nest doorbell via GH now, only via Google Assistant on our Pixels. I wonder if this might prompt Google (who owns Nest) to launch a GH with a small screen?

Permabanned
OP
Agree it is not possible to link via a Nest doorbell via GH now, only via Google Assistant on our Pixels. I wonder if this might prompt Google (who owns Nest) to launch a GH with a small screen?

@AndyCr15. It is clear that Google plans to add features to the hardware design of both GH and Chromecast, as evidenced by the recent hiring of a former lead Pebble and webOS designer Liron Damir as the new head of user experience of GH, which works on products such as Chromecast and Google Wifi, in addition to GH.

Check out this link to Variety about this hire. According to this link, Google is intending to integrate GH and Chromecast which will require "more complex screen interfaces."

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/google-home-liron-damir-ux-head-1202508578/

Soldato
Hey guys,

Hive appears to be on the supported list now, can anyone confirm it works as well as the Echo?

https://support.google.com/googlehome/answer/7172483?hl=en-GB

Edit.
Looks like it's just switches and lights at the moment.

Yeah, "turn on mancave" and "set mancave to 50%" working well here

If i set heating to a room name it does respond with "ok turning the heating on" but nothing happens to hive
edit: i can get it to turn the heating from off to manual and back again but it doesn't recognise any temperature settings so heating never actually comes on

Annoying that there is no guidance on what to say or what is currently working

Last edited:
Soldato
The Amazon Echo Show can show Ring doorbells "Alexa, show front door" but it's only available in the US at the moment.

Permabanned
OP
The Amazon Echo Show can show Ring doorbells "Alexa, show front door" but it's only available in the US at the moment.

Noted. I see Google Home extended to screens and I am quite fascinated by the GH /Chromecast integration using the TV screen. Such a screen-based device would serve many purposes including monitoring your smart home, eg, in-home security cameras, baby monitors, lights, volume, temperature control, etc. It seems logical to assume that a screen based GH will be aimed at shopping. Already I use voice search on my Pixel most of the time.

How easy would it be for my shopping list to appear in one corner of my split tv screen (perhaps a YouTube video on another part of the screen and for my GH voice activation be integrated with Chromecast for comparative shopping availability at my usual stores? I see ordering for food and food services as a logical extension of this idea. While Google would not be owning the store or the delivery mechanism, Google already has relations with the Morrisons, Waitroses, Sainsbury's of the world that could be tapped to facilitate this process. A voice-activated Google Home and Chromecast and tv screen integration could cast and display and interact with your order. I see Google as a key partner for many stores as they fight against erosion in their business from Amazon. Google would be compensated not only from hardware sales (GH with screens, Chromecast devices) but also from video ads on screens tailored to your ordering history. A GH with screen in your kitchen could help with YouTube videos and recipes and again food ordering.

There will be many other use cases for a screen-based GH/Chromecast integrated device outside of the home. Commercial or business applications could include the hospitality and leisure industry too---I could see this integrated into my hotel suite for example. And certainly into my self driving car, when it finally arrives.

Just thinkin.....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom