Google Home

Permabanned
OP
has anyone heard of the next google home (2) integrating google wifi into the same device?

This concept was a rumour a few months ago but I have seen nothing more about it since then. The advantage is one less main WiFi device and presumably one less secondary WiFi device used to form the mesh network. The disadvantage I assume is that it will increase the cost of the Google Home unit.

As recently posted, I see Google's priority near term in upgrading the entire GH/Chromecast/TV screen integration to allow full smart home functionality (stove, refrigerator, lights, heating, doorbell, baby monitor, shopping, services, etc.). An Android set top box might be included in the package too. Whether a new GH is required and includes built-in Wifi is something Google most likely is considering.

An example of Google's priorities involving GH, in and around the shopping and service experience, was announed today in the US. GH will integrate Avis rent a car service into GH. Recently you might have read that Google's self driving car unit, Waymo, signed a deal with Avis to service the 100 or more self driving Chrysler Pacifica SUVs that are currently being operated by Waymo in Phoenix, Arizona involving many families living in the area. Waymo is providing them a free service for their entire family in exchange for which Google is learning what families need from their vehicles. Avis and Waymo have agreed to have Avis service these vehicles and store them each night. Some believe this Waymo-Avis relationship will involve a significant upgrade to Waymo's fleet of vehicles if Waymo decides to build its self driving tech into Avis rental cars. In such a case, having the ability to either rent a traditional Avis vehicle or a fully autonomous Avis vehicle will then be possible using Google Home. In a world where Tesla is expected to launch a self driving fleet of vehicles in a couple of years and where Tesla owners will be able to earn spare cash for allowing others to use their car when the owner is not, is an example of how many see mobility emerging in coming years. Google's access to vast quantities of Avis vehicles (made smarter with Waymo self driving tech) could put Waymo in a leading position in this world described by some as Auto 2.0.

GH, your Android smartphone, your Chromecast link to your TV screen, etc will be essential ingredients in placing Google in a leading position to address tomorrow's transportation needs.

Last edited:
Soldato
Whats the google home like as a bluetooth speaker? Just want one for listening to music in a room and it would be handy to have to answer a few things if I asked. At £129 it seems a fair price compared to the echo.

Soldato
Whats the google home like as a bluetooth speaker? Just want one for listening to music in a room and it would be handy to have to answer a few things if I asked. At £129 it seems a fair price compared to the echo.
Honest question but why wouldn't you cast via wifi to Home? The sound quality would be far superior than connecting via bluetooth :confused:

Soldato
That's so cool. Being able to cook dinner and generally get on with stuff whilst I listen to my mother drone on about what she did at the weekend would be incredibly useful :p Yes I know I could use speakerphone as it stands, but hey..

Permabanned
OP
That's so cool. Being able to cook dinner and generally get on with stuff whilst I listen to my mother drone on about what she did at the weekend would be incredibly useful :p Yes I know I could use speakerphone as it stands, but hey..

I assume your Contacts List, esp when cooking dinner, includes more people than just your mother? ;);)

In any case, I for one would be asking her cooking instructions, given my limited cooking skills.

Permabanned
OP
Ha yes, my point was she always wants to talk at the most inopportune times :p

Perhaps your mother will be impressed if she is a reader of Vogue with the latest addition to Google Home. Or perhaps a girl friend/wife?

GH offers exclusive content from Vogue's 125th Anniversary issue. GH provides information on five articles that appeared in the September issue of Vogue: the Jennifer Lawrence cover story, and profiles on Oprah, Nicole Kidman, Serena Williams, and Megyn Kelly. Once Google Home is prompted with a question, the writers behind the piece will share personal tidbits from their celebrity sit downs, including some funny anecdotes from the interviews that didn’t make it into the final pieces, and what it was like to spend time with some of these women.

You can prompt GH by saying: "OK Google, ask Vogue to tell me about Jennifer Lawrence".

Hope they enjoy it. My family did. Perhaps this is the start of some commercial activity between Google and advertisers and publishers. I suppose it was bound to happen.

http://www.vogue.com/article/septem..._B&utm_term=vogue_read_more_en&utm_content=us

Permabanned
OP
Got an offer on at work to grab a Home for £75. Already got an Echo. Any reason to have both?

If you want multiple users on your Google Home, Home, unlike Echo, will enable different people speaking about their particular Google account and get actions based on their individual voices. For example, I can ask GH about my day, my calendar, etc, while my wife can ask about her day, her calendar, etc and my kids can do the same (up to 6 different speakers).

In the US and Canada, GH will also allow phone calls to anyone on your contact list for free without using your phone call allowance (if you have a limit). I am hoping this gets offered in the UK.

And of course, GH uses Google Search which to me is a major reason to own it. Amazon does not use Google Search.

Associate
If you want multiple users on your Google Home, Home, unlike Echo, will enable different people speaking about their particular Google account and get actions based on their individual voices. For example, I can ask GH about my day, my calendar, etc, while my wife can ask about her day, her calendar, etc and my kids can do the same (up to 6 different speakers).

In the US and Canada, GH will also allow phone calls to anyone on your contact list for free without using your phone call allowance (if you have a limit). I am hoping this gets offered in the UK.

And of course, GH uses Google Search which to me is a major reason to own it. Amazon does not use Google Search.

Wait... It does that just based on the voice calling it? Jesus. That's awesome. Perhaps an Echo for my bedroom, an echo dot for downstairs (for Hue lighting etc) then a Google Home for the kitchen/living area (Ok Google, how the **** do I make a [food]).

Permabanned
OP
Wait... It does that just based on the voice calling it? Jesus. That's awesome. Perhaps an Echo for my bedroom, an echo dot for downstairs (for Hue lighting etc) then a Google Home for the kitchen/living area (Ok Google, how the **** do I make a [food]).

By the way, Google Home also is natively integrated with Philips Hue lighting. I have a number of the lights in my home hooked up so my voice instructs the lights to turn on or off. It works extremely well. You need the Hue starter kit and lights, the Hue app and Google Home. In winter I enjoy being able to instruct by voice for my Nest Thermostat to turn on and off.

And I use the app, IFTTT, a Smarter 3rd generation tea kettle and the Smarter App to turn my tea kettle on using my voice on Google Home. Nice to be able to have that cup of tea ready just as you are waking up and before you go into the kitchen.

Associate
By the way, Google Home also is natively integrated with Philips Hue lighting. I have a number of the lights in my home hooked up so my voice instructs the lights to turn on or off. It works extremely well. You need the Hue starter kit and lights, the Hue app and Google Home. In winter I enjoy being able to instruct by voice for my Nest Thermostat to turn on and off.

And I use the app, IFTTT, a Smarter 3rd generation tea kettle and the Smarter App to turn my tea kettle on using my voice on Google Home. Nice to be able to have that cup of tea ready just as you are waking up and before you go into the kitchen.

Ugh, just placed the order haha! I'm thinking I'll use both, but who knows. May end up getting rid of Echo. I'm heavily integrated with Google so may just find Echo unnecessary.

Permabanned
OP
so this actually has a cup of tea waiting for you ready to drink??

Sorry if I confused you! The Smarter "iKettle" 3rd generation boils the water in your kettle and keeps the water warm even after boiling. I leave enough water in the kettle overnight for the magic to happen. By asking GH to "boil the kettle" and knowing it takes a minute or two for the Smarter Kettle to boil the water, I time my arrival in the kitchen so that I simply pour the hot water into my tea cup and presto! No waiting around for my kettle to boil.

By the way, if you are a morning coffee drinker, Smarter does have the coffee ready to pour with their Smarter coffee machine. I have not yet purchased this machine as I tend to prefer tea first thing in the morning:

https://smarter.am/coffee/

Soldato
Didn't you hear? sesavans has programmed a GH robot that dunks the teabag, brews it to his liking, removes it, gets the milk from the fridge, pours it to his liking, puts the milk back and gives it a stir. It then hands it over and says "here you go honey" :p;)

Seriously, I didn't think GH was integrated with Phillips yet. What about Harmony remotes? I know you can do it via IFTTTwhateveritis..

Back
Top Bottom