Google Maps app for iPhone

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Looks good - I like the refresh and as a bit of a nerd when it comes to TFL, I like the Transit option which shows the geographical route of the underground etc. and also that I now have the correct graphics (underground/overground/dlr etc.) and names above all stops - that was my major issue to be honest.

Soldato
If this was Apple and had it been the other way around I doubt they would have released the maps app on Google Play. Really liking Google as a company and some of the products they're bringing out I might switch with my next phone.

Soldato
Associate
Fantastic! :D

I don't know if Google intentionally made it all pan out like this but they've played this perfectly.

Apple replaces them on iPhone
They get universally slammed
And then again
They issue an apology
They get slammed again
And again

Google comes along as the hero for maps on iPhone.

If this was Apple and had it been the other way around I doubt they would have released the maps app on Google Play. Really liking Google as a company and some of the products they're bringing out I might switch with my next phone.

At the moment neither is really perfect. For example Apple have had this map fiasco and really need to bring iOS up to spec. Yet Google pretty much botched the Nexus 4 launch (funny how you have people laughing at Apple fanboys and yet you have loads of people in the Nexus 4 thread paying £100 more to get a Nexus 4) and their entire ecosystem is clunky and fragmented.

The most important (and puzzling) thing though? Apple still commands the developers which means apps and new features in apps are prioritised on iOS. Facebook (native app), Fitbit (syncing), The Walking Dead Game (exclusive), Google Maps (fantastic design).

Associate
/dance.

I was so happy when I heard about this. Apple Maps, Maps+ and the web version of Google maps are all utter **** As usual once I got Google Maps instantaneous navigation assistance was restored :D

Soldato
Fantastic! :D

I don't know if Google intentionally made it all pan out like this but they've played this perfectly.

Apple replaces them on iPhone
They get universally slammed
And then again
They issue an apology
They get slammed again
And again

Google comes along as the hero for maps on iPhone.

I don't know if Apple intentionally made it all pan out like this but they've played this perfectly.

Apple cannot get Google to bring the features they want for its maps app on iOS.
Apple says, "Enough" and replaces it with a half-baked replacement.
The world groans, Apple have egg on their face.
Companies scramble to be the premiere maps app on iOS.
iOS gets flooded with everyone's best efforts to take the maps marketshare.
Google steps up its game and rolls out an app in iOS that is totally amazing.
Apple sew iOS up as the dominant mapping platform.

:p

Associate
I don't know if Apple intentionally made it all pan out like this but they've played this perfectly.

Apple cannot get Google to bring the features they want for its maps app on iOS.
Apple says, "Enough" and replaces it with a half-baked replacement.
The world groans, Apple have egg on their face.
Companies scramble to be the premiere maps app on iOS.
iOS gets flooded with everyone's best efforts to take the maps marketshare.
Google steps up its game and rolls out an app in iOS that is totally amazing.
Apple sew iOS up as the dominant mapping platform.

:p

They wouldn't want this to happen like this thought. Not ever.

Whenever most people get a Windows computer what's the first thing they do? Replace the included applications for 3rd party ones. IE? Chrome! WMP? iTunes! Once these people go that way it's very hard to get them back. Plus they have less "love" for the OS manufacturer and it makes the OS as just a thing that runs all these awesome applications.

Now what's happening is that people will be giving out the blanket advice of "Got an iPhone? Download Google Maps!" It really is Apple's IE6 - it doesn't matter how much they now improve it the damage is done and people won't touch it. And then when they come to buy a new phone why get one that needs all these 3rd party apps to make it "good" (iPhone) when you get a cheaper phone (Android) that has everything you use integrated (oh wait! Like a Mac!).

But yeah. It has had the odd effect of making iOS the only platform with native apps from the 3 major maps makers. Google Maps, Apple Maps (TomTom) & Here Maps (Nokia/NAVTEQ).

Back
Top Bottom