Google-Motorola "X Phone" in the 2013 pipeline?

I'm hoping whatever software mods they do will be light touch as on the current RAZR line. And maybe extra functionality like split screen on the Samsung devices. One thing I want to see them continue with is SmartActions, which is a great little app.

If they actually do what they say they will and create a really high quality feature-rich phone that sets the standard for Android devices, then this will be exciting.

It's a big "if" though...

News if anyone's missed it...looks like the X Phone is for real! And will make an appearance at the Google I/O 2013

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Motorola-seeks-product-manager-for-the-Motorola-X_id39350

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/smartphones/1297561/googles-motorola-x-phone-specifications-hinted-at - Specs included in link as

Quad core processor
4.8" - 5" Display (Unknown which type of display)
High end battery based on RAZR MAXX range possibly 3000mAh
Kevlar Casing and clever weatherproofing
Internal Memory going up to 128Gb!!! and SD Card slot!!!
Sold through Play store for around £289.99 inline with the Nexus 4
Key Lime Pie OS!

If true I think people better hold of buying the Nexus 4!

Will definetly be waiting for this now!

However, this part:

with a micro-SD card slot providing further expansion.

Has made me think even further now that it won't be a true "nexus/google" device and that google won't be providing/supporting it for software. We all know that google does not want to give SD slots on their devices!

But as I said in another thread, since the phone is being shown of a their I/O event, supposedly "becoming part of the nexus range" and google are involved then they will "have" to be quick and good about providing updates otherwise their reputation will be ruined even more along with google's.

Hopefully the camera will be good :D

The rear of the phone is expected to include a camera based on Sony's latest Exmor RS sensor system - a high-quality digital camera sensor developer specifically for thin and light smartphone form factors.

oh and obligatory pic :p

DgAGzcc.jpg

No matter what they say, I can't see this being cheap (especially if they provide that much internal storage), certainly not less than £400 anyway.

Last edited:
Yeah I am more curious about the software side of it, as even though it is being shown at google's event etc. I just can't see it being a true pure stock android device, especially given the SD slot and this rumour:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/...nch-display-set-for-google-i-o-may-appearance

One final aspect that has us slightly worried - Motorola is apparently working on a new UI for the phone that "both compliments & enhances the Android experience," and its meant to be quite Nexus-like in appearance. The company is also working on some Samsung-like software additions to enhance the OS's functionality.

And then going by their new RAZR phones, very much like stock android but with more features.

Their current android skin on the new RAZR phones is pretty much stock android (certainly the closest you will get compared to every other oem skin), imo it looks better as they use a dark theme throughout pretty much all the apps as well as adding more functions/features.

If they can keep the same theme & layout as stock android but bring more features (especially to the camera app) then I don't see the problem as the only good thing about stock android is the holo theme imho, everything else about it is too limited.

I agree with you. Wise points made above, stock android is limited and the additions that Samsung et al bring added functionality to the table. I notice this especially when I go from the S3 to the Nexus 4. Let's hope that Motorola keep their very light skinning of Android and the holo theme which I totally dig.

If those specs are actually true and it's not crippled by crap software, I'd sell my gran for one if she was still around!

That's harsh! :p

Yeah I am more curious about the software side of it, as even though it is being shown at google's event etc. I just can't see it being a true pure stock android device, especially given the SD slot and this rumour:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/...nch-display-set-for-google-i-o-may-appearance

And then going by their new RAZR phones, very much like stock android but with more features.

It'll most likely be a hybrid device which will have the best of both OEM software and the latest Google software coupled with the latest technology.

Google will be onto a winner and I will be getting one too! (But then again what phone don't I want to get....I need no excuses!) :p

It's quite laggy and jittery on the home screens - more the animations than the actual performance. Seems to be an issue with the Motorola launcher rather than JB itself (browsing Chrome, Currents etc. is still really snappy). Massively annoying is the Circles widget - it now takes a second or two to update the time every time you unlock the phone or exit an app back to the homescreens. It did not do this on ICS!

I factory reset and cache cleared before and after the update.

Hoping they make it substantially better in the 4.2 update (big assumption there...!).

Battery / call quality / signal etc. remain excellent though!

[edit] The issues are a bit ridiculous when you think that JB has the Project Butter UI improvements!!

Last edited:
Which would you recommend?

Sorry for off-topic chat; Nexus, drop me an email / IM please?

[edit] Just installed NOVA - that is AMAZINGLY better!!! Bloody hell, Moto have done a horrendous job of optimised their launcher!

Last edited:
Which would you recommend?

Sorry for off-topic chat; Nexus, drop me an email / IM please?

[edit] Just installed NOVA - that is AMAZINGLY better!!! Bloody hell, Moto have done a horrendous job of optimised their launcher!

Nova is amazing, I used it on my S3 and N4 :D

I'm really worried about Moto and their "interpretation" of Key Lime Pie...if they can't optimise their software properly on the ICS update, what hope do we have?

Maybe Google will give Moto a kick up the backside! LOL!!!

Last edited:
Yup nova is the one to go with these days imo :)

As for the circle widget, you could try this one, personally I recommend just installing much better separate widgets like snowstorm or fancy widgets or eye in the sky and whatever clock you like the look of combined with this battery meter widget

Circles widget is cool at first but after a while it becomes a little bit meh.. I'm still using the default launcher on my Razr i. Would Nova get rid of that silly search bar at the top? Guess I'll lose the quick settings page too which is semi useful to me though I use the Notification Toggle. This and others doesn't seem able to activate GPS directly, taking you to the GPS options to turn it on. These days I rarely turn GPS off as it doesn't affect battery at all and Android seems to turn it on and off as required ... or so it seems on Razr i?

Moto X Phone looks interesting ... to get back on topic :D

No 1080p SAMOLED - No sale :D

Unless it is somehow a GODLY-Phone.

Hated the SAMOLED in my s3, could notice the pentile quite often and the brightness output was pathetic, nearly half the nits of lcd screens (I assume to conserve power) which meant whites were a dull yellow. An rgb amoled with suitable brightness output and I'd be sold as those are my only qualms.

Each to their own - SAMOLED it pretty much has to be for me, I hardly ever need max brightness on my S3 and pentile is only seen up real close (and 1080p pentile should sort any fuzziness out).

Perfect blacks/contrast/viewing angles and eye-popping colours is what I want on my phone. My setup rarely see's any eye-burning white anyway.

Yup you have the option to remove that with Nova etc. Richy :)

And yup again that is how gps works on android, is actually only used when an app requests it and has access to it.

Back
Top Bottom