Google Pixel 5

Soldato
I'm with you, I love how google tracks me :D

I think the whole ecosystem works really well. I even have google maps tracking where I go which is handy as it logs when I enter work for my timekeeping, and also lets me know how long I've been driving or where I've been - handy if you wish to go back and remember where you were at a certain point; then I have google fit logging how long I run, bike etc :D

You can either be paranoid of it or embrace the usefulness of it!

I'm not looking for a pixel for the hardware, or the speed of one at least. My budget A70 was enough power for me, all I want from an upgrade is a good battery, screen and camera which I'm hoping the pixel fulfills. I don't need the fastest processor to date

That ‘usefulness’ comes at great expense,
namely the slow erosion of our democracies and freedom from constant surveillance.

Associate
That ‘usefulness’ comes at great expense,
namely the slow erosion of our democracies and freedom from constant surveillance.

You still have that - It's a choice to use their features or not and realistically I have nothing to hide if they want to listen in on some of my weird convo's then they're welcome to

Soldato
I think the whole ecosystem works really well. I even have google maps tracking where I go which is handy as it logs when I enter work for my timekeeping, and also lets me know how long I've been driving or where I've been

I also love this feature. My last work place required us to fill in a spreadsheet with start, break and end times. I would fill in the spreadsheet at the end of the month using the data from Maps whereas everyone else would do theirs daily. I used to build up several days time in lieu every month and whenever anyone raised an eyebrow I had the Maps data to back it up :)

Back on topic. My last Google device was the Nexus 6. I'd love another Google phone but non of the Pixels have made me want to rush out and buy one. A great camera isn't top of my list and that seems to be the only standout feature of the Pixels.

Soldato
OP
Your submitting to their surveillance makes it harder for those of us who are fighting for your freedom.

Portraying yourself as an altruistic freedom fighter is an interesting interpretation. :p

I like the Google features too, particularly the maps facilities like sharing my journey progress with the wife etc.. I just used my timeline to fill in an expense form for mileage.

Soldato
Portraying yourself as an altruistic freedom fighter is an interesting interpretation. :p

I like the Google features too, particularly the maps facilities like sharing my journey progress with the wife etc.. I just used my timeline to fill in an expense form for mileage.

Someone has to champion the cause when so many people willingly submit to these companies.

Associate
Going by the renders I have to say it’s very disappointing that Google are giving up on Face Unlock after only one year.

But I guess that’s the compromise they are making by going back to midrange.

Associate
8-C749852-13-B8-4-C98-BAF9-6-ACED3-EC3-E89.jpg

Pixel 5 the smaller of the two.

Associate
What are people's experience with the screen on pixel 4/XL in terms of panel quality (not refering to bezel or such). IMO the display is fab and color is on point.

Soldato
Going by the renders I have to say it’s very disappointing that Google are giving up on Face Unlock after only one year.

But I guess that’s the compromise they are making by going back to midrange.

I couldn't agree more! This is just further proof of Google having zero long term vison with the Pixel user experience. Why would you give face unlock and then remove it? I really like face unlock with the exception that wearing a facemask makes it completely unusable, but that could have been resolved with a software update like Apple did.

Apple have been using FaceID with no fingerprint scanner as a backup for years now and their users aren't calling for the finger print/home button to come back.

If the P5 doesn't come with face unlock I'll probably move away from the Pixel. I love the camera (despite the fact it doesn't have an UW), the simplicity of the software and the design because quite simply, **** curved screens.

However, I'm starting to get frustrated with the pointless concessions you have to make with buying a Pixel. It has honestly got to the point I've lost trust with Google hardware and I'm fully expecting to be disappointed with the P5. I bet you bottom dollar it'll come without an UW, or it will have an UW whilst removing the telephoto and it'll probably have a tiny battery.

None of these hardware features and mutually exclusive to having the great software experience, hence why I said they're pointless concessions.

Maybe I'll just need to learn to love Apple's inferior smart assistant, inferior Car Play and pointless walled garden. Want Firefox based on the new Gekoview web engine? Not possible on iOS, all web browsers on iOS are basically skins running on Apple's built in WebKit engine.

Soldato
I couldn't agree more! This is just further proof of Google having zero long term vison with the Pixel user experience. Why would you give face unlock and then remove it? I really like face unlock with the exception that wearing a facemask makes it completely unusable, but that could have been resolved with a software update like Apple did.

Apple have been using FaceID with no fingerprint scanner as a backup for years now and their users aren't calling for the finger print/home button to come back.

If the P5 doesn't come with face unlock I'll probably move away from the Pixel. I love the camera (despite the fact it doesn't have an UW), the simplicity of the software and the design because quite simply, **** curved screens.

However, I'm starting to get frustrated with the pointless concessions you have to make with buying a Pixel. It has honestly got to the point I've lost trust with Google hardware and I'm fully expecting to be disappointed with the P5. I bet you bottom dollar it'll come without an UW, or it will have an UW whilst removing the telephoto and it'll probably have a tiny battery.

None of these hardware features and mutually exclusive to having the great software experience, hence why I said they're pointless concessions.

Maybe I'll just need to learn to love Apple's inferior smart assistant, inferior Car Play and pointless walled garden. Want Firefox based on the new Gekoview web engine? Not possible on iOS, all web browsers on iOS are basically skins running on Apple's built in WebKit engine.

Google ought to do something involving their camera software and just make it openly availible rather than trying to use it to sell devices. Let companies like Samsung, Oneplus etc use their camera software as their camera expertise is in the software?

Caporegime
The Google name can't sell phones like Apple and Samsung can so if they've finally realised they can't compete at the top end so will offer slightly worse phones at a competitive price point instead, like the Nexus range did, I'm all for it.

Soldato
One Youtuber also had a point when talking about new Pixel 4a, if that's the kind of quality they can get out of basically old sensors, imagine what they could do if they actually pushed the technology envelope with say 48mp cameras or beyond.

Associate
What are people's opinions about the 4a that launched today. I think it's stellar for the price. Imagine the competition in the 350 - 400 range - iPhone SE, OP Nord and Pixel 4a! Love competition.

Associate
yeah would have been a killer. I think the OP Nord has it as well so would have been epic but then again it is 50 cheaper with a much better camera - also the SE with A13 bionic will be much faster than both of these so thats quite nice as well...

Back
Top Bottom