• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Google Stadia cloud gaming services uses AMD custom chip

Man of Honour
I'd be very surprised if they venture is successful.

But I'm certainly interested. Considering they were talking about 8K and 4K 60HZ I'd have expected more than anything current.

I'm pretty sure the multi-gpu example they showed is the only way they'll be able to offer that sort of performance. It was specifically stated that 8K would be some way down the road.

Caporegime
I'm pretty sure the multi-gpu example they showed is the only way they'll be able to offer that sort of performance. It was specifically stated that 8K would be some way down the road.

I guess it depends on how long it takes 8K to become mainstream. I can't see the point in it, but the TV's are for some people realistic purchases. Guess it would have been nice for them to have some content.

Like I say, I'm interested in it. I've got a 4K OLED and I know that pushing that with a Vega 64 is only "okay".

Soldato
Gaming streaming has been tried before and it was awful. It doesn't matter how much processing power is on their end, there is still no way to get around latency issues. We're always going to be limited by how fast you can send a signal down a cable and through multiple hubs/switches along the way.

Streaming a movie is one thing, streaming a fast paced game where input latency is very noticeable is another.

Last edited:
Soldato
Gaming streaming has been tried before and it was awful. It doesn't matter how much processing power is on their end, there is still no way to get around latency issues. We're always going to be limited by how fast you can send a signal down a cable and through multiple hubs/switches along the way.

Streaming a movie is one thing, streaming a fast paced game where input latency is very noticeable is another.

I am not saying that you are wrong but don't you think they would have looked at this before deciding to go ahead with this? I would say let's wait and see to see if it works.

Caporegime
The head of ubisoft a few months back was waffling about "cloud gaming" and how its the way forward. Not having the hardware next to me would feel weird :(

Soldato
10.7TF isn't that great and then add in latency and it isn't good at all. Not for me but I can see those who can't afford a semi decent PC enjoying this.

At a guess this is going to cost maybe $40 to $50usd per month at least, maybe more if you want the full game library and 4K stream.

I can see the appeal for entry and mid level gamers, buy a new pc or pay $600usd subscription per year

Soldato
I am not saying that you are wrong but don't you think they would have looked at this before deciding to go ahead with this? I would say let's wait and see to see if it works.
Of course they'll have looked at it - and decided that most people have no idea what latency is anyway, and probably won't even notice. When you consider that most people play on consoles at 30fps on HDTVs of varying quality that may or may not be in game mode, they're probably right. Input lag approaching 200ms or more is normal for most people, so they won't have an issue with this. I don't think it's really aimed at PC enthusiasts.

Soldato
Of course they'll have looked at it - and decided that most people have no idea what latency is anyway, and probably won't even notice. When you consider that most people play on consoles at 30fps on HDTVs of varying quality that may or may not be in game mode, they're probably right. Input lag approaching 200ms or more is normal for most people, so they won't have an issue with this. I don't think it's really aimed at PC enthusiasts.

Yes, I don't think they are focusing on the hardcore PC gamer, or even in the hardcore console gamer which owns various devices, but the casual gamers, or those who would like to try it but don't want the expense of buying a device, etc. If it works well I can see it gaining some traction.

Soldato

I think even they will notice. It's input lag on top of ping, then the time it takes to be processed and be displayed back on your own monitor.

Plus the picture quality is always degraded no matter how good your connection is.

Soldato
It's absolutely not for hardcore gamers....that market is well catered for already.

This is for the non-gamers. The people that have no interest in spending hundreds of dollars on a game console or PC....but if they can just click a button on their Smart TV and try games out, they may get involved.

I've used Steam Link a lot, and used Geforce Now a fair bit. It's not for twitch games sure, but it works fine for most titles. I played AC Origins and Odyssey streaming and they're totally fine. No different to playing on non-Game mode on a smart TV tbh.

Soldato
I can see potential issues with FPS type games, but for things like Civilisation and Football Manager where the game can really slow down then cloud based computational power would be a real win.

Soldato
It's absolutely not for hardcore gamers....that market is well catered for already.

This is for the non-gamers. The people that have no interest in spending hundreds of dollars on a game console or PC....but if they can just click a button on their Smart TV and try games out, they may get involved.

I've used Steam Link a lot, and used Geforce Now a fair bit. It's not for twitch games sure, but it works fine for most titles. I played AC Origins and Odyssey streaming and they're totally fine. No different to playing on non-Game mode on a smart TV tbh.

This...

Most people here will be commenting with tunnel vision! This is for the people that play games now and then, they dont see gaming has a hobby. The biggest focus here is the pricing has to be spot on! Netflix is like £10 a month this needs to be very close like £15 or something or offer timed play also! Pay £10 for 10 hours play etc

Back
Top Bottom