Got me a new car!

Associate
The dealer will almost certainly have put their own plate on the car.
Doubtful as it would be too much hassle for a fleet company managing their company cars, for a management vehicle it would be registered to a company along the lines of "MB Management Vehicles Limited" as other brands do for their employees who in effect lease the car from the company at a greatly reduced price to provide used stock, after 6 or 12 months for example the vehicle would be de-fleeted which would be classed as used stock that dealerships would purchase and sell on. Even if the person who had the vehicle is a retiree they may still be entitled to the scheme, and possibly even the same for ex-fleet, press cars or VIP cars.

Man of Honour
It's very hard to buy privately owned 1 year old cars. People just don't trade them in that soon, mine was a dealer company car for one of the sales staff for example.

Soldato
Mercedes run a different approach for their car scheme which is similar to a lease but the vehicle is registered to the employee. They swap them about every 12 months.

Soldato
Doubtful as it would be too much hassle for a fleet company managing their company cars, for a management vehicle it would be registered to a company along the lines of "MB Management Vehicles Limited" as other brands do for their employees who in effect lease the car from the company at a greatly reduced price to provide used stock, after 6 or 12 months for example the vehicle would be de-fleeted which would be classed as used stock that dealerships would purchase and sell on. Even if the person who had the vehicle is a retiree they may still be entitled to the scheme, and possibly even the same for ex-fleet, press cars or VIP cars.

That doesnt change the fact that the dealer, as a matter of routine when they receive the car, will print their own plate for the car. It's very cheap to do, and provides a form of advertising for the dealer.

Associate
Oh, I see, printing a new plate. I thought you meant actually changing the plate through the DVLA, which would have been a pointless waste of time and money. Printing a plate and fitting it would only take a short while and would be part of a dealerships standard PDI process.

Would also mean it had a insignificant cherished plate on it that any new owner would have to pay an £80 transfer fee to take off if they wanted to put their own cherished plate on.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
It's very hard to buy privately owned 1 year old cars. People just don't trade them in that soon, mine was a dealer company car for one of the sales staff for example.

Agreed. Mine was 8 months old, ex-press car.

@Steedie the immense spec does support it being some kind of Mercedes/employee owned car. Being ex-press is the reason my car is so well specced.

Man of Honour
OP

Eeeeeeeeee! Forgive the plebby behaviour up above. I just wanted to get a video to see what it sounded like outside given I’ve only been inside the car so far. It was in an empty business park if that makes it any better :p

Will update with pictures this weekend, I’ve not had a chance to drive the car when it’s not been dark yet!

First impressions though, it’s amazing. Soooo good!

Soldato
Eeeeeeeeee! Forgive the plebby behaviour up above. I just wanted to get a video to see what it sounded like outside given I’ve only been inside the car so far. It was in an empty business park if that makes it any better :p

Will update with pictures this weekend, I’ve not had a chance to drive the car when it’s not been dark yet!

First impressions though, it’s amazing. Soooo good!
Good lord

Associate
Mercedes run a different approach for their car scheme which is similar to a lease but the vehicle is registered to the employee. They swap them about every 12 months.

Honda do a similar thing. Ours get swapped at 10,000 miles or a year, depending on which happens first. They go straight to the Approved Used sale pool.

Man of Honour
OP
Some more pics as promised. Not great but waiting to go somewhere a bit nicer for some proper pictures :)

PLXaKlT.jpg
h7JVUL6.jpg
WtacvBu.jpg
Tae9MdJ.jpg
VqxE9GL.jpg
c6b5jQZ.jpg
b3h9fzj.jpg

The engine on this car is absolutely incredible. I just love how rapid it is, and it's properly frightening how quick you're north of license losing speeds if you're not careful.

The noise is absolutely brilliant, and I'm just so glad I waited out for this one rather than going for a couple of earlier ones I saw without the exhaust option. In Sport+ mode, it's just so loud and in your face. Pops and crackles all over the place and the noise when flooring it and it changes gear just puts a grin on my face every time. Only negative, well not negative but gets me dirty looks is when coming to a stop at traffic lights or to let people past, when it drops down the gears, it almost sounds like you're revving it slightly which a couple of people have mistook for me hurrying them up :D
When you want a more tame car, stick it in Comfort or Eco and turn the exhaust button off and it still sounds nice when you floor it, but normal driving makes it sound less asbo :p

To handle, it's brilliant. But then I came from a 530d so it doesn't feel that much of an upgrade given that was already brilliant as well. But the 4 wheel drive and steering in sport plus feels great and you really get a sense of everything you're putting through the wheel

Took a drive to Winchester yesterday, 40 miles on the A34 and it averaged 32mpg, so not brilliant but I'm more than happy with that given I barely do any miles these days anyway. Driving it around in Sport+ and I'm lucky to see 20 average :D

Interior wise, I really like it. I think I will eventually get the dark wood centre console, as Mercedes said they will fit it for me for £380 so at some point I'll do that. The shiny black isn't necessarily bad, but it is like the XF I had where you can tell it will mark easily and it in the wrong light, it looks a bit cheap.
The software isn't quite as good as iDrive, no where near the polish or sleekness of it, but it's by no means bad. I'm still getting used to where stuff is and how to quickly navigate it, but from my brief time with it, it's good. The sound system is way better than the HK on the 530d imo, but 90% of the time I'm driving with nothing but the exhaust noise anyway

Overall, even after 4 days I'm in love with the car. So glad I went for it and pulled the trigger.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Sounds like a cracking car. To me it’s a bit of a sleeper, as it doesn’t to my eyes look any different to any other top spec Merc. No aggressive/look at me styling. That in itself has big appeal.

My A4 came debadged so I’m sure most think it’s a standard 150 TDI.

Associate
Nice write up and pretty much mirrors my experience (except I don't have the exhaust so pops and crackles are relatively rare for me).

Fuel economy can be reasonable but it can also be horrendous (in Sport+). I find that moving from Comfort to Sport+ means the throttle loses all form of modulation and becomes an on/off switch :D. Not to be used in heavy traffic!

The revving on downshifts can be amusing but can attract the wrong sort of attention too.

LiE has hit the nail on the head for me - the best thing about it is that it looks no different to a C200 AMG line, unless you know which badges to look for (Biturbo on the side and AMG on the grille). I'm really really tempted just to debadge mine.

Man of Honour
OP
Yeah I totally agree. Which is good as it means I won't have to worry about people checking it out in the car park or things like that as like you say, it just looks like it could be the bog standard 2 litre diesel.

@batfink, definitely know what you mean, I find if I come off a motorway/dual carriageway stretch and I've been on eco or comfort, then go in to Sport+, the throttle is just nuts. Kangarooing in Sport+ isn't great...

I keep finding options on it that weren't advertised or I didn't understand what it meant on the listing and should get all my MercedesMe services approved today. It says I have remote parking available on my car based on the VIN, but I think that might be a mistake, if not...:D:D:D

Caporegime
Nice car :). Was myself thinking of getting one of these c43s instead of the c63.
My aunt has one but a coupe version, driven it a couple of times and it’s pretty rapid to say the least.

Still considering getting one but at the moment I have my eyes on a well specced Golf R.

Soldato
Sounds like a cracking car. To me it’s a bit of a sleeper, as it doesn’t to my eyes look any different to any other top spec Merc. No aggressive/look at me styling. That in itself has big appeal.

My A4 came debadged so I’m sure most think it’s a standard 150 TDI.
This is definitely a point of consideration with my next car. Looking "slow" but being fast >> looking fast and being slow. Added bonus when you pull up next to someone in a standard one with all the AMG/R/S/ST etc trimmings but no grunt :p

Back
Top Bottom