Got me a new Vehicle!

Permabanned
OP
Hi mate, i paid £1700 for it, which is pretty cheap for a G Reg, things to look out for, well depending on your budget. If youve got about £2k to spend its gonna be oldish. It WILL have dents, the doors rust on the inside, its common even on newer ones. The body doesnt rust because its aluminium, although the bulkhead will because its steal. When looking take the carpet out of the front and cheak the bulkhead, they normally go on the floor, the outisde tops and check inside the engine bay! A bulkhead change is a big job, secondaly the chassis, depending on what life its had will depend ont he condition. If its had a hard life offroad with very rare washes it will be rusty, the rear crossmembers and outriggers are prone to rust but you can buy replacement parts! Get u nder the vehicle and dont be afraid to tap the chassis and outriggers! Engine wise id go for a 200tdi, very good engine. Check for any smoke when first started and see if it clears, take it for a spin and accelerate hard in all gears and look in the mirror for smoke, if its blue its burning oil, if its white its using water. Check all oil and water levels to. The gearboxes will also vary due to the life its had. If its been on a farm, farmers tend to keep to 1st, 2nd and 3rd, wearing the box. When changing gear check for any clunks or bangs, check it goes into gear alright. Check Diff locks and Low and High gears work using the selector stick inside the cab. Check the power steering level to see if its low, if it is it could be leaking, normally through the power steering box, common fault and seal kit is only £18, BUT if its leaking its normally screwed and it wont take long to leak again, a replacement box is £190 - thats a recon second hand one and you also give them your old box. A Land Rover isnt like a car, it will always need maintaining. I dont think ive met anyone with a Land Rover who uses it offroad which doesnt need repair every so often. Mine needs a little work but im not to bothered. Parts can be expensive, doors second hand can go for £150+ a piece. A 200Tdi/300Tdi engine will set you back £700+. Gearboxes are £200+. That should be it! :)

Permabanned
For those who think a 200tdi or 300tdi is better than a TD5 your living in a dreamland with all the others who cant afford the proper stuff!!

TD5's relaibility is proven to be better than the older 200/300tdi's - the myth about drowning ECU's is just that, a myth i've submerged mine and it still worked fine, in fact i know of people who have left it submerged, taken it out, dried it and put it back working. The only single advantage of the older engines is you can hit em with a hammer to repair them in most cases, however the TD5 has no timing belt to worry about, it tunes much better (i had just under 200bhp from mine with no loss of reliability or fuel economy) - it has more power and torque as standard, it runs smoother, it goes faster...the list goes on.

There is not a place in the world i'd rather have a 200/300tdi over a TD5, and i lived in a landy for nearly 4 months!! (my TD5 110).

On a not of green laning, please heed what Rikk said, make sure you ONLY use them on approved lanes, RUPPs etc, and also check they are not closed as signs often go missing when lanes are temp closed, it doesnt take much to pick up a huge fine, have your vehicle confiscated and give those tree hugging hippies more firepower for bannig it altogether.

Arc

Arc

Associate
Slime101 said:
For those who think a 200tdi or 300tdi is better than a TD5 your living in a dreamland with all the others who cant afford the proper stuff!!

The older diesels arent as good as a TD5 but most peeps prefer to fix things using a hammer and in these situations you cant beat the old diesels.

Cant afford proper stuff? I've only seen one or two TD5's offroading in my time, most of the serious peeps I see use V8's ;).

Soldato
The TD5's are stunning, I've recently stripped and rebuilt one at uni and it's a beast of an engine!

I mean, look at the injectors :D

P1010171.jpg

Permabanned
Arc said:
The older diesels arent as good as a TD5 but most peeps prefer to fix things using a hammer and in these situations you cant beat the old diesels.

Cant afford proper stuff? I've only seen one or two TD5's offroading in my time, most of the serious peeps I see use V8's ;).

Yes, the peeps who build specials use V8's or somthing else, but i know of a lot of TD5's which off-road. I guess the reason you see less of them is cost, TD5 engined vehicles cost a LOT more, hence back to my origional point of most not being able to afford one (which gets beaten up like mine did!) :p

Soldato
Lashout_UK said:
The TD5's are stunning, I've recently stripped and rebuilt one at uni and it's a beast of an engine!

I mean, look at the injectors :D

P1010171.jpg

And thats why the injectors cost around £500 each (iirc) from LR...and then they start leaking inside and stuff engine oil up the loom...
:D

Permabanned
OP
If its anytihng like the injectors whichw e use in Volvo trucks if not installed correctly youll have fuel in the oil! Oh how fun that is :(

Permabanned
jon.bda said:
And thats why the injectors cost around £500 each (iirc) from LR...and then they start leaking inside and stuff engine oil up the loom...
:D

Only ever happened with very very early TD5's and not even all of them, twas easily curable for the few it did affect.

Back
Top Bottom