Got my driving test in 2 weeks, any big tips?

Associate
Goodluck!

You can always hope that yours falls asleep like mine basicly did. Not only did i pass but i didnt get any minors. But yeh im pretty sure he wasn't awake the whole time.

Man of Honour
I think a large amount of it comes down to the attitude you take towards driving as well. I remember back when I was in 6th form there was this guy who was so cocky and arrogant it took him 7 attempts to pass.

My instructor knew his instructor and aparantly even the assesors had said he would have passed if he wasn't such an arrogant little **** :) the amount of times he failed amused me greatly.

This is back in the 70s but I had a mate who was exactly the same and after the 5th time of failure his Dad went and 'had a word' with the Examiner saying his son was one of the best drivers he had come across. The Examiner asked who had taught him and of course he said that he had. The Examiner said "Well that's where he's obviously going wrong then, perhaps you need testing".
He passed on his 10th attempt.

Soldato
My advice: Don't treat it as a special drive, just drive as you normally do with the instructor.

- For example, don't be "extra cautious" pulling out of junctions. If you judge it to be safe to go, then go. If you miss what the examiner judges to be a reasonable gap, you'll get marked for undue hesitancy. If you drive overly cautiously and make the same hesitation mistake 3 times, the examiner may judge it a habitual error and fail you. To back this up... I was complimented on the practical driving test I took in the instructor qualifying process on my judgement of gaps, and how I wasn't afraid to pull out and put my foot down. The examiner won't be looking for the same level of judgement in an "L" test though, but the sentiment is the same - don't sit there aimlessly waiting for an enormous gap.

- Make sure you do your FULL and proper observations at junctions. A good look to the Right-Left-Right is the minimum. When you're turning left, make sure to actually be looking back to the left when you move off - don't move forward whilst your head is still turned to the right checking for traffic. By all means have another glance to the right once you've started moving and have covered a few yards. Looking where you're going as you move off is the important bit. Observation at junctions is the #1 reason people fail their tests in the UK.

- Don't get too hung up on making extravagant head movements to show you're checking your mirrors. Even the smallest "normal" mirror check movements are dead obvious when you're watching someone drive. More to the point, the examiner is actually looking for you to react to what you see in the mirrors. If someone is tailgating you, make a point of dropping back from the car in front to give yourself more room.

- Do be sure to use your mirrors when changing direction. When moving past parked cars on your side of the road, check the right mirror before moving across to go past the cars (no need to signal unless anyone will benefit). When you've passed the parked cars, check the left mirror for cyclists etc before moving back over to your side. Use of mirrors for changing direction and before speeding up/slowing down is also high on the list of top 10 test failures.

Associate
What is expected in each driving test maneuvers/manoeuvres -
Reverse parking -
Drive alongside a parked car and reverse back within the space of two car lengths without hitting the kerb and whilst observing for other road users.
Turn in the road -
Turn the car around using forward and reverse gears without hitting the kerb and whilst observing for other road users.
Reverse to the left -
Reverse in to a side road to your left, keep close to the kerb and observe for other road users.
Bay parking -
Reverse in to a car park bay, whilst observing for other road users.
Emergency stop -
Stop the car as in an emergency, without skidding.
Remember these thing and you will find it easy to pass your practical driving test.

Associate
If you're turning, and the junction you're going into has traffic (Maybe a bus has stopped and so the cars are all behind it), be patient and just wait. Don't turn and block the oncoming lane. I had to wait a minute and a half for that but it was the correct thing to do.

Watch your distance to the curb. Make sure you stop completely at all stop signs.

And generally, just relax. It's just like a lesson.

Soldato
the driving test is ridiculously easy there is basically no reason you will fail it unless you drive like a total pleb

I disagree. I failed my second test one on Major - no minors.

I was doing 40ish on a 60 road, down a reasonable hill, in rain so hard you could barely see more than 20 feet (this started during the test, it was only light rain at the start) and at the bottom was a T junction onto a main A road. I was in a Corsa B with terrible brakes and skinny tyres and frankly didn't trust the car at all.

I got a major for not making progress.

A couple of years later they changed that stretch of road to a 40.

0 minors, and one major for driving to the conditions. Go figure.

This is the road/direction.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=staf...8&panoid=bK30kabwsQSfoF89HmqMWQ&cbp=12,0,,0,0

Permabanned
I disagree. I failed my second test one on Major - no minors.

I was doing 40ish on a 60 road, down a reasonable hill, in rain so hard you could barely see more than 20 feet (this started during the test, it was only light rain at the start) and at the bottom was a T junction onto a main A road. I was in a Corsa B with terrible brakes and skinny tyres and frankly didn't trust the car at all.

I got a major for not making progress.

A couple of years later they changed that stretch of road to a 40.

0 minors, and one major for driving to the conditions. Go figure.

This is the road/direction.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=staf...8&panoid=bK30kabwsQSfoF89HmqMWQ&cbp=12,0,,0,0

Why did you take your test in a defective car? :confused:

I bet if you could go back to that day you would realise that you could have gone faster safely.

Soldato
OP
Again thanks a lot everybody, im am taking all of this in, my driving instructor gave me paper regarding the DSA show me tell me test 19 question and answers. He also taught me e.g. how to open the bonnet etc/ engine. Will the examiner definately as you these?

cheers

Soldato
Again thanks a lot everybody, im am taking all of this in, my driving instructor gave me paper regarding the DSA show me tell me test 19 question and answers. He also taught me e.g. how to open the bonnet etc/ engine. Will the examiner definately as you these?

cheers

Yes, you will get asked two at the start of the test after the eyesight check, but before you get in the car.

Soldato
Ok so just only two questions and thats it?

cheers

Yes. One "show me..." question and one "tell me..." question. You'll get a minor fault if you get either or both of them wrong. As far as I remember without double checking, you won't get 2 minors if you get them both wrong.

Associate
mirror mirror mirror. keep looking unto them and make sure you swivel your head not just your eyes.

if you managed to stall. take your time take deep breathes if needed before starting up again

Caporegime
Keep your mirror checking movements consistent.

if you only tilt your head a tiny amount, do this from the start and continue to do it. If you start off doing a very over the top movement, and then gradually slip back into not moving at all, he may think you've forgot to check - so keep it consistent.

Also, try and relax. Accept that if you do fail your first test, that there are millions of others like you. It doesn't matter, get another test booked, and just like the rest of the population you'll pass on the second or third attempt.

Pro tip, if you are unsure on a roundabout go all the way around and then off. This caused me to fail my first test when I felt pressured to leave and cut some guy up, my mistake.

another excellent tip.

It is better to not take a turn that your instructor has asked you to take, and do so correctly, rather than take it harshly and cut somebody up. As long as your indicaors, lane etc.. are correct then the most you should get is a minor. But this is much better than a major because you nearly caused an accident by taking a turn you couldn't make.

my learner dvd said go 35 or so in a 40 zone and the guy almost failed me for it. Check stuff like that out with your instructor.

Sadly stuff like this is specific to the examiner.

Some have a real bee in their bonnet about speed, and will hapily let you do 35 in a 40. Others will be mindful of the fact that by doing this you're just holding everybody up and should in fact do 45 just like everybody else once you've passed your test.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Nah Im taking my test first time, Well I have a few lessons left so I think im do more practice on the parking and some other areas.

Back
Top Bottom