Got sacked from job - no warnings or whatnot

Soldato
Hi, worked at a photocopier company but on friday got sacked.

It was always a filler job no matter what, as i can't stand the work they do, but anyways;

Basically, on friday i had another thing to attend, for another company i was looking to work for. This company needed me to be at an event from 10-2pm to which i said yes.

However, on the thursday night, (the event was on friday) i completely forgot that day to tell work that i wouldn't be in for whatever reason, so on thursdays work always gets a tab at our local bar, to which we go to. I was driving as always to make it easier to go home etc. However, when out, around 10:40pm i text my boss, as i forgot earlier that day to say i wasn't going to be in, an excuse, yes it's a crap excuse but i used the "i've got a funeral tomorrow" i couldn't think of anything else at the time and obviously didn't want to say about another job prospect.

Anyways, go into work around 3pm after the other thing, 10 minutes later get brought into the boardroom, i could instantly tell he wasn't happy and the office was tense anyways, he basically just swore at me etc. He thinks i went out drinking and was hung over so i was late, but even when i am hungover, i still go in at 9am, why would i bother to go in at 3pm on a friday. So yeah, i was high on caffeine and when pressured into was i actually at a funeral i just said no i wasn't in the end, to which he said "get your stuff and **** off"

Do i have any grounds?! All my friends keep saying it's unfair dismissal as companies can't just sack you there and then now? Is this true, and the way the company worked, i was technically "self-employed".

IMO, it's fair.

If you're a terrible liar then don't even try. Your boss probably sussed you out from your body language right at the start. And the worst thing is you caved in lmao. Deary me.

I can't remember the rules on looking for new work, your current work can't make it impossible to go on interviews, but, meh. You lied being the main problem, had you said you were looking for a full time job/career and had an interview type thing they'd probably have been fine, though asking ahead of time would have helped as I'm sure appropriate notice would be necessary for them to let you take time off for an interview.

AS soon as you lied though you gave them grounds for not trusting you, not believing you, not being reliable as you didn't come in last thing, etc, etc.

As for the Vegetarian thing, thats poop, if you have a contract, then they have to follow it and you can't just be fired on the spot because you haven't worked for someone for a year, couldn't be more utter rubbish. You have less rights if on probation, but certainly not no rights, if you aren't on probation then again it will be down to the contract but things like unfair dismissal have smeg all to do with having worked for less than a year.

well if it was me, id give them as much hassle as possible, say you'll follow this up, take them to court if need be etc etc, email local papers, as much bad publicity as possible.

but im a sod like that.

Always perpetuate the lie.

You learnt a life lesson today.

Oh and BTW funerals are usually planned a few days in advance giving you more than a few hours to inform your boss. From the moment you text him you were probably fired. Try a gastric bug next time.

As for the Vegetarian thing, thats poop, if you have a contract, then they have to follow it and you can't just be fired on the spot because you haven't worked for someone for a year, couldn't be more utter rubbish. You have less rights if on probation, but certainly not no rights, if you aren't on probation then again it will be down to the contract but things like unfair dismissal have smeg all to do with having worked for less than a year.

Actually you're talking the "poop". Unfair dismissal protection comes after 12 months except for automatic unfair dismissal such as discrimination. This means no tribunal protection.

Also the "probation" concept is a myth from a statutory rights point of view, you have the same legal rights after 1 month as you do at 10. Less than a month is different however.

Always perpetuate the lie.

You learnt a life lesson today.

Oh and BTW funerals are usually planned a few days in advance giving you more than a few hours to inform your boss. From the moment you text him you were probably fired. Try a gastric bug next time.

Yeah, i really couldn't think of an excuse, he seems adamant that i was hung over when i was clearly driving.

I did say that i thought the funeral was for next friday, as i'm quite forgetful, but when i got in my mum reminded me, hence why i text so late :)

If you don't like the company you could always contact HMRC and tell them the company is attempting to avoid NI on their employees by claiming they're self-employed.

Back
Top Bottom