Government citizen surveilance program

Caporegime
Yep, and anonymous/encrypted email providers.

The reality is for most of us it's just not feasible but as you say for the people law enforcers want to catch all these laws will probably be ineffective, they will probably be using the same technology governments and government spies use, or just do it off the grid. Just look how long it took to find Bin Laden.

Another example is the big Terrorism case going on at the moment. Much of it is being tried in secret but there are some open court parts. It involves two men who were caught because they were pulled over with the address of Tony Blair... The police put a listening device in their car when they were at the station and the arrested them a couple of weeks later after they were overheard discussing trying to buy a gun...

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/oct/14/terrorism-trial-possible-plot-kill-tony-blair

EDIT: Another article on law enforcement using "hacking".

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/oct/29/fbi-hacking-press-internet-users

One rule for them, another for everyone else...

Last edited:
Soldato
Finally there are 70,000,000 people in this country. There are people who want to do harm on a large scale but those who would be most successful would probably not use the sorts of methods that would get them caught. I believe in international surveillance for incoming counter threats and a strong military to protect the nation. But on UK soil we have to set a limit on what is being harvested and intruded to and it needs to be clear for a citizen to understand and read.

again, a bill of rights for digital data.

This is where I disagree with you, I think in a modern age, our greatest threat is all around, not on foreign soil, if it is on foreign soil, I can see it there, and take steps to avoid it, how do I avoid what is within?

The police don't fight or win wars, it isn't their purpose, and an information war, or war (terrorism) based around such has to be fought in a different manner.

Quite happy for a digital bill of rights, quite happy for everyone to know exactly what is looked at, exactly what is open for review and for scrutiny.
I just think it should be everything open to scrutiny, absolutely everything, by another, anywhere. I suspect you probably have a different line on what your rights under such a bill should be.

Soldato
Like any other crime. You build up the evidence and when strong enough apply to a judge to a warrant to view a specific set of data.

The terrorists have "won", in tandem with the media and politicians, all using the idea of terrorism for their own needs. lets catch them the traditional way, rather than tramping all over the rights of everyone else.

War and savage attacks and acts of terrorism are not crimes in the standard meaning of the event. For other 'crimes' that the police investigate, fine have it this way, but during the cold war there were intelligences agencies at work, they worked in a manner completely different to that of the police. How is the modern digital era any different?

Soldato
I live in Northern Ireland, under the 'threat' of dissident republican attacks. I am not a Unionist or a Nationalist by politics, both systems are utterly flawed politically, but the estimated 300-1000 monkeys running around playing at terrorist need to be stopped.

I don't wish my daughter to grow up in a society where some weekend a muppet will park a van in a town centre of a regional town, phone a warning and then have it explode (if they managed to build it properly) wreaking the town, fearing people, and causing disruption. Then for six months they can phone a random warning for any town and the town will be shut down for two days while the police and bomb squad investigate the hoax.

This is the reality I live in. We have relative peace with a few &*^& wits unable to let go of an agenda they don't actually care for. If it involves the chaps at GCHQ reading every text I send, every email I make, know what I am fapping to, to trace and track these creatures, then I don't care.

I happily forgo my privacy if it nets results and keeps them being monitored and watched to the point they are ineffective.
Modern terrorists are not stupid, certainly not at high level, and 'building a conventional case' is next to impossible, as they leave no forensics traces, gloves everywhere, burn out cars after they transport within them, have oddles of cash from dodgy fuel dumps, which are shut down all the time (and I bet it isn't conventional police work finding them).

The world changes, conventional isn't a format used anymore, you've yet to offer an alternative.

Associate
Phill you continue to post in this thread but have ignored my question. If you wouldn't mind?

ohh sorry :)

well I believe its too late now ..

http://thebigoptout.com/your-medical-records/

Care Data

Everyone should by now have received a Care Data leaflet from NHS England. NHS England plans to extract your GP records and link them to the SUS/HES hospital data they hold. This extraction of data WILL NOT affect your direct care. It will be used for health planning, research, audit and sold to private companies. You NEED TO OPT OUT OF BOTH care data and the Summary Care Record.

https://medconfidential.org/

http://care-data.info/

are.data in a nutshell....

care.data is not anonymous
care.data is not "open data"
care.data is not about accessing your GP record online
care.data is not about "owning your health data"
There is no consent with care.data
Sensitive and identifiable information is going be extracted from your GP records and uploaded to Health and Social Care Information Centre (HSCIC) databases
Sensitive and identifiable information has already been extracted, and will continue to be extracted from your hospital records and uploaded to HSCIC databases
You will not be asked for your explicit permission or consent before these extractions take place
The two sets of your information will be combined into one database and subsequently released, in various formats, to organisations within and outside of the NHS
You will not be asked for your explicit permission or consent before your uploaded data is released to these organisations
The information is not going to be available to doctors and nurses, and so will not be used to provide direct medical care
The HSCIC will keep your uploaded information indefinitely - it will never be deleted, but continuously added to
Even after you die, the HSCIC will keep and continue to sell your data
Information about you will not be released or sold in just an aggregate (unidentifiable) format
Nearly all the information sold about you by the HSCIC will have no protection, and you will have no rights, under the Data Protection Act.
The House of Commons and the House of Lords have made sure of that.
You cannot control when, to whom, for what purposes, and what specific information uploaded from your GP record the HSCIC releases about you
You cannot specify that your information is only used for the purpose of medical research
Opting out, with either or both of the opt-out options, is the only way to have any control at over how the HSCIC use, or will use, your personal data
Your GP surgery cannot stop this extraction - but you, as an individual, can
You can prevent the extraction and uploading of any data from your GP record to the HSCIC by asking your GP surgery to put a special code in your GP records
You can prevent the release of your clearly identifiable data from the HSCIC by asking your GP surgery to put an additional special code in your GP records
If you opt-out of care.data (now), you can opt back in at any time in the future
There is no deadline by which you must opt back in by

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jan/19/nhs-patient-data-available-companies-buy

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/stop-selling-our-nhs-records-to-private-companies-1

its not just the Summary care record either its spine data stuff too.. the whole thing was an intentionally confusing debacle and even GP's themselves were giving out the wrong information and the wrong leaflets. GP's did campaign against it. Another corporate sell off..

about 750,000 people managed to opt out AFAIK

Hope this helps.

Caporegime
War and savage attacks and acts of terrorism are not crimes in the standard meaning of the event. For other 'crimes' that the police investigate, fine have it this way, but during the cold war there were intelligences agencies at work, they worked in a manner completely different to that of the police. How is the modern digital era any different?

We are not at war so that solves that point. Terrorism IS just another crime, a crime that has been going on in the UK for dozens of years. it didn't start in 2001 like many seem to believe (mostly in the US admittedly). You of all people should know that.

The problem is the issue spills over to the police (see the links above). It's not just some latent machine crunching through documents. There are thousands of people working, looking through information, photos, documents. Both within the security services and the police.

All the police need to do at the moment is have a name/email address and then they can request to see all the emails "not live" you have ever sent, including those emails to your lover, confidential details you want no one else to know, that time you signed up to the gay shemale dressing up website you signed up to... Etc etc. If sent through the post the police wouldn't be able to do that. They can't blanket servail all houses on a street, putting cameras in and turfing through your drawers without good reason and a warrant for every single house. They can do that for your computer though...

I live in Northern Ireland, under the 'threat' of dissident republican attacks. I am not a Unionist or a Nationalist by politics, both systems are utterly flawed politically, but the estimated 300-1000 monkeys running around playing at terrorist need to be stopped.

I don't wish my daughter to grow up in a society where some weekend a muppet will park a van in a town centre of a regional town, phone a warning and then have it explode (if they managed to build it properly) wreaking the town, fearing people, and causing disruption. Then for six months they can phone a random warning for any town and the town will be shut down for two days while the police and bomb squad investigate the hoax.

This is the reality I live in. We have relative peace with a few &*^& wits unable to let go of an agenda they don't actually care for. If it involves the chaps at GCHQ reading every text I send, every email I make, know what I am fapping to, to trace and track these creatures, then I don't care.

I happily forgo my privacy if it nets results and keeps them being monitored and watched to the point they are ineffective.
Modern terrorists are not stupid, certainly not at high level, and 'building a conventional case' is next to impossible, as they leave no forensics traces, gloves everywhere, burn out cars after they transport within them, have oddles of cash from dodgy fuel dumps, which are shut down all the time (and I bet it isn't conventional police work finding them).

The world changes, conventional isn't a format used anymore, you've yet to offer an alternative.

I'm quite happy for them to go through every single part of your life for no reason. in fact while you're at it how about putting a webcam in your bedroom so we can all see what you're doing? Then we can check for the bogey man under your bed before you go to sleep.

I'm not happy with them doing that to anyone else though... Neither are a significant number of other people, organisations and companies. It's one of the reasons why so many companies are now working towards removing their own ability to access your data on the devices and services they provide. They were trapped in once by the governments forcing them to keep quiet under threats of jail, they don't want to be trapped again.

They leave forensic footprints everywhere (at least the bad ones), it's what the security services use as evidence and what they are trawling through our data for. The simple fact is they can get warrants for this kind of thing. If there is enough evidence to chase these people then there should be enough evidence to get a warrant. The very fact it got to the point of people trawling through web caps of millions of peoples private webcam chats just shows how bad it's got...

As yet no one in the security services or in government has been able to provide a single case where the bulk collection of evidence has yet been the deciding factor in a case against a terrorist. They have been asked by senates and commons select committees, yet none have been forthcoming...

Last edited:
Associate
This is where I disagree with you, I think in a modern age, our greatest threat is all around, not on foreign soil, if it is on foreign soil, I can see it there, and take steps to avoid it, how do I avoid what is within?

The police don't fight or win wars, it isn't their purpose, and an information war, or war (terrorism) based around such has to be fought in a different manner.

Quite happy for a digital bill of rights, quite happy for everyone to know exactly what is looked at, exactly what is open for review and for scrutiny.
I just think it should be everything open to scrutiny, absolutely everything, by another, anywhere. I suspect you probably have a different line on what your rights under such a bill should be.

sounds ok to me. as long as human rights are not trampled on. (btw i don’t mean human rights bill being exploited and abused , i just mean common sense & decency.)

Soldato
I am not doing or am planning on doing anything that would land me in trouble and I am sensible enough to not turn this into some pathetic slippery slope fallacy so I don't care. All fine by me.

Soldato
Shouldnt the people themselves decide whether the benefits of mass surveillance are worth the privacy infringement?

Apparently we live in democracy after all...

Potentially, but I shall misquote someone now:
'Consider this, consider the 'average' person, and just how stupid that person is and can be.
Then realise that 50% of people are more stupid.'

We are living in a country where you can vote for a or b with a little bit of c.
A little better than the USA where its a or b, and nothing else.
If people had actual full democracy, there would be an electronic referendum held daily on various matter and the results of which would be enacted into law.

Soldato
Another point...

What I find almost hilarious is the double standards of many in power. An example being in the US. While government funds are being given to help create and maintain TOR, to allow people to break the law and maintain secrecy in states the U.S. believe are "evil" and backwards, they are also spending considerable money trying to crack it so they can catch people using it for things we class as illegal or against policy in the west...

That is true.

This is because at the end of the day the government is just another group of people who have a common goal. To help achieve this they need to condition their citizens into believing certain things are extremely "bad", yet keep them up and running at the same time.... This is a perfect recipe for control.

A bit like drugs. People assume the governments, with all their Wars Against Drugs actually want drug trade to stop. Right?

Wrong. If that happened the government would simply lose out on a massive chunk of their powers of control. Drug trade stopping would be a huge problem for police because such a large chunk of their police work ie. policing what chemicals people are or aren't allowed to suck into their lungs and stomachs would simply cease to exist.

Now you understand that drugs and the war against them are a necessity to keep police in business. Now try to realise what terrorism and the war against it is trying to keep in business. It's chilling how the world's business actually works.

Last edited:
Soldato
While I agree with this.
How do you plan to tackle the possibility of terrorists using said networks for communication, and planning of terrorist actions within this nation?
How will you keep my child safe?

Who will guard the guardians?

Keep your own child safe, why is it down to anyone else? :confused:

Soldato
How will you keep my child safe?
lol what?

The government will keep your child safe? Your idea of safety is throw them into the care of some utterly diabolical LA/council workers who turn a blind eye to children in their care getting raped?

Just backs up what I said. The mere promise of safety and security is so powerful, yet the reality can be so far from the promise.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
That is true.

This is because at the end of the day the government is just another group of people who have a common goal. To help achieve this they need to condition their citizens into believing certain things are extremely "bad", yet keep them up and running at the same time.... This is a perfect recipe for control.

A bit like drugs. People assume the governments, with all their Wars Against Drugs actually want drug trade to stop. Right?

Wrong. If that happened the government would simply lose out on a massive chunk of their powers of control. Drug trade stopping would be a huge problem for police because such a large chunk of their police work ie. policing what chemicals people are or aren't allowed to suck into their lungs and stomachs would simply cease to exist.

Now you understand that drugs and the war against them are a necessity to keep police in business. Now try to realise what terrorism and the war against it is trying to keep in business. It's chilling how the world's business actually works.

tinfoil2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom