• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU not detected by motherboard

Associate
Having issues with my new GPU not being detected by the motherboar,
System is
RTX 3080 strix
ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E motherboard
I7 9700k 8 cores 8 threads
PSU HX750i Corsair
32 GB Corsair RAM 3200

Ran DDU and uninstalled old drivers, fitted new 3080 Strix and the motherboard will not detected it, checked display adapters shows nothing but motherboard graphics also checked hidden options, checked BIOS and nothing detected in slot 1, removed card and re seated 3080 a few times to check it’s fitted correctly, removed card and fitted 1080 back into slot motherboard found it strait away, with the 3080 in my computer won’t let me download any Nvidia drivers as the install says error no Nvidia components detected, I’m stuck and out of ideas of how to fix only other option is maybe the card is faulty any help would be much appreciated.

Soldato
if it works with quiet switch, you can always update it to performance bios, presuming its a 2nd hand card, or if me, i would go back to seller, though if new would rma it asap

Associate
OP
So tried the other switch changed from performance too quiet and still nothing, computer currently has no Nvidia drivers on it at all, would it be worth putting my 1080 back in installing all the drivers Nvidia experience an then swapping again and downloading new drivers for the 3080?

Soldato
So tried the other switch changed from performance too quiet and still nothing, computer currently has no Nvidia drivers on it at all, would it be worth putting my 1080 back in installing all the drivers Nvidia experience an then swapping again and downloading new drivers for the 3080?
Even if no drivers are installed Windows should still see it as a basic VGA adapter in device manager. Booting into BIOS should also work. If both BIOSes aren't working sounds like a faulty card. Just to make sure, are you using separate cables for each power connection on the GPU?
Sorry not sure what you mean by rma?
RMA as in sending it back to where you bought it from due to it being faulty (Return Merchandise Authorisation).

EDIT: Another thing to check, are you using a PCIe riser?

Soldato
few other things to try, cmos reset, try another pcie slot to test other question what version windows you running, im sure i read somewhere pre 20h2 had some issues with 3080

Associate
OP
How is the power connected to the GPU? How many PCIE power sockets on the card? 2? At they both connected to the PSU? ideally with separate cables.
It’s got 3 PCIE sockets and Iv connected it with 3 PCIe type 3 cables that came with Corsair power supply, so they are the ones with the daisy chain but I’m not using that part just the main plug

Associate
OP
Ok will give that a go, do you have to use a USB drive to do this? Or can I just download the file onto my computer then pull the BIOS up and locate the save file

Back
Top Bottom