GPU or VR Kit

Associate
Hi All,

A few months back i moved to a new Ryzen 5 build and kept my GTX970 to see wait and see if the much anticipated 11 series would be announced, well, a few months later and nothing has been announced or appears to be on the horizon.

It's my birthday next week and will have some funds (plus a good excuse to treat myself) to either a new GPU or VR headset.

My trusty GTX 970 hasnt struggled with anything and currently im only really playing fortnite but want to get into VR. My question is whether or not getting a VR headset in the coming weeks and running it on my GTX970 will leave me enjoying the experience less, or do i get a GPU now and save up for the VR in a few months time?

is the GTX970 a capble VR card today?

Soldato
Have you tried VR yet?

I am biased, I think VR is amazing so I would say get the VR headset now and save up and buy a new GPU when the next gen of cards are released

Soldato
I have and really enjoyed it! its what prompted me to start upgrading my system

Great!! Well, I think you should get headset first and GPU later. The VR headset will give you something to do while waiting :) Lots of people are using their headsets with 970's.

Associate
+1 for a vr headset first with a gpu upgrade down the line.
This is what I did and because I found performance to be better than expected I haven't done the gpu upgrade yet

Associate
Another +1 for the VR headset. There may be a few games that struggle, but plenty will be fine scaled down and I bet it spurs you onto save up quicker for the new GPU ;)

Associate
My card 'only' has 4GB ram, it seems enough for everything at the Rift's native resolution. You can supersample a bit in most titles too, I feel that the raw grunt of the card is a greater factor

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ok thanks all for the comments. Any here use the rift with glasses? This is my next point of concern as I'm basically blind without them lol

Associate
I use my rift with glasses and it’s fine, you will get sweaty with games like Beatsabre though but I loosen the rift and it’s fine, also fine when I use my contact lenses, hopeless without either and I’m short sighted.
I have a laptop with a 1070 and a Mate uses a 1050ti and I was very suprised how that handles it all.

Associate
Another +1 for VR.

I use a r9-290, and there is not a game I haven't played yet that its struggles on, however I have shied away from LA Noire, Project Cars 1/2 as a fear it may be a step to far for it.

Associate
Certainly get the Rift. IMO the graphics in current VR games in general are purposely being kept minimalistic which means a big outlay on a GPU isn't worth it until the HMD resolutions double at least and devs start pushing the boat out on quality vs concepts. Beat Saber on a 970 will be so much fun.

Soldato
I use the Rift with glasses without any issues.

But, there are ways around that too, you can get lens inserts for the Rift or custom VR frames. And they aren't that expensive either.

Associate
OP
Hi All,

Well, i was browsing the facebook marketplace and saw somebody selling a brand new rift set, i mean it still had the stickers on the shiney parts and managed to get it for £300!

played a couple of games of robo recall and it worked seamlessly, thank you all for the advice, very pleased!!!

Soldato
Hi All,

Well, i was browsing the facebook marketplace and saw somebody selling a brand new rift set, i mean it still had the stickers on the shiney parts and managed to get it for £300!

played a couple of games of robo recall and it worked seamlessly, thank you all for the advice, very pleased!!!

You are welcome, enjoy your new Rift. Robo Recall is awesome!!

Back
Top Bottom