• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU panic selling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
So is there panic selling? Are we going off the bay stats as the indicator? I know the MM isn't a great sample but I checked that page and its looking normal.

MM actually has starting seeing more GPUs listed , also its only just started hopefully be more clear in the coming weeks

Soldato
Definitely noticed an increase in people selling on the MM market, also on FB but they're still asking stupid prices.

It'll be short lived, something else will come out that will be profitable and we will be in the same situation again and the graphics card corps love it, they don't care about us puny gamers.

All i can say is,Im glad i have a 2080 and have absolutely no plans to upgrade any time soon, Hopefully it lasts!

Associate
For marketplace is a good sample

Lots of sellers cutting prices 3060 cards around £550 last week over £650

We are not talking the odd card but sellers with 6-10 cards

Associate
Definitely noticed an increase in people selling on the MM market, also on FB but they're still asking stupid prices.

It'll be short lived, something else will come out that will be profitable and we will be in the same situation again and the graphics card corps love it, they don't care about us puny gamers.

All i can say is,Im glad i have a 2080 and have absolutely no plans to upgrade any time soon, Hopefully it lasts!

2080 will last a fair while yet

Associate
I'm not sure you can call it panic selling yet, most cards still look to be well over retail price
Maybe so, but we can only hope the scalpers regret grabbing all the available stock. I mean, I'd love a 30xx graphics card, but how can you tell if that second hand card you buy was just sitting around in its box, or has been running at 100% constantly for the last few months. Safer to buy new unless they really drop the prices to get something back.

Associate
Yes don't sell the 3080ti fe , it's a good deal and you will not get a 3080 for less at the moment and can't buy another FE as you know as you purchased one.

Some really good deals on monitors today at a certain retailer today, but only today and tomorrow. So a good time to grab a good deal.

What type of monitor are you after ?

Also today TV - LG OLED48CX5LC £778.98 instore only (check hotukdeals.com for the deal), 48" 4K OLED with HDMI 2.1 and does 120Hz with Nvidia G-Sync, 55" also similar price too.

Wow, that 48" CX is a steal at that price. And perfect for a space game. Sadly I can't fit that in my office, although will look again tomorrow!

I reckon a 30" or 32" 4k or 1440p would be perfect. I'm using a NEC PA271 at the moment, which I'll keep and use as well because it's fantastic. Not a gaming monitor of course.

Getting a bit off topic here I guess so might shoot over to Monitor forum.

Soldato
470 and 80 were rubbish cards to begin with. However the current cards are excellent for gaming so doubt the prices will fall

They weren't rubbish at all. When they launched they were as good as the Nvidia cards in that same category (3.5gb 970 and 4gb 980). They were cheap, and they sold by the bucket load. The very fact they can still do a decent Esports game is testament to that.

Don't get caught up in elitism. You need to remember that cards like that are the ones that sell. IE, when the 3060 finally becomes available at a half reasonable price? that is what Nvidia will sell the most of. I bet tons of people are sat there with 1060s desperate to upgrade. Bigger cards like the 3090 etc? they are for elitists and sell in way lower numbers. You can disagree if you want, in which case go take a look at the Steam survey and see what most people actually use dude. I saw a RX 580 sell for £240 last week. And that was sorta at mate's rates. If they were so bad no one would buy them.

Man of Honour
8GB RX480/580 are good, plenty of VRAM, don't need a lot of power and will be supported by FSR which means the FineWine matures even more. But they were already getting on a bit by the time of the last mining crash.

Bear in mind the going rate for a RX480 8GB on ebay despite having fallen a bit seems to still be about £250, so still above MRSP even though it is 5 years old now.

Soldato
So is there panic selling? Are we going off the bay stats as the indicator? I know the MM isn't a great sample but I checked that page and its looking normal.
Scalped 3080s have dropped around £500 in the space of a month, 3070 were going for £1200 and now down to £8-900 so definetly been a sharp drop off.

Also if people think cards are likely to fall further in the next month or two then they will more likely hold off on purchasing and thus leading to more unsold cards which should exasperate the price drops and I doubt miners will be buying them up now with a 3080 only doing £100 a month, any miner who paid top dollar last month on a 3080 would already be £400 down and at the going rate would take another 4 months just to break even assuming prices don't fall further.

The only way I can see it reversing now if if there is a strong bounce back in crypto to pre crash levels.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Scalped 3080s have dropped around £500 in the space of a month, 3070 were going for £1200 and now down to £8-900 so definetly been a sharp drop off.

Also if people think cards are likely to fall further in the next month or two then they will more likely hold off on purchasing and thus leading to more unsold cards which should exasperate the price drops and I doubt miners will be buying them up now with a 3080 only doing £100 a month, any miner who paid top dollar last month on a 3080 would already be £400 down and at the going rate would take another 4 months just to break even assuming prices don't fall further.

The only way I can see it reversing now if if there is a strong bounce back in crypto to pre crash levels.

I recall them going for £2.3k then the 3080ti LHR came out for £1k and stopped that nonsense.:)

Last edited:
Associate
They weren't rubbish at all. When they launched they were as good as the Nvidia cards in that same category (3.5gb 970 and 4gb 980). They were cheap, and they sold by the bucket load. The very fact they can still do a decent Esports game is testament to that.

Don't get caught up in elitism. You need to remember that cards like that are the ones that sell. IE, when the 3060 finally becomes available at a half reasonable price? that is what Nvidia will sell the most of. I bet tons of people are sat there with 1060s desperate to upgrade. Bigger cards like the 3090 etc? they are for elitists and sell in way lower numbers. You can disagree if you want, in which case go take a look at the Steam survey and see what most people actually use dude. I saw a RX 580 sell for £240 last week. And that was sorta at mate's rates. If they were so bad no one would buy them.

Some forget this is an enthusiasts forum and not the real world

That's why both the 3070 and rx6700xt are looked down on by some as something they stood on

But in reality they are well above what most people are likely to own even if the market was normal

Soldato

That's why both the 3070 and rx6700xt are looked down on by some as something they stood on

But in reality they are well above what most people are likely to own even if the market was normal
I think they are looked down on as one costs to much for the amount of VRAM it has and the other costs to much for the performance on offer.

£900 for a card with 8gb VRAM is terrible and £800 for a card with performance similar to a £650 2080 super from last gen and worse RT isn't great either.

Last edited:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

Very well said young man!

If any of you watched the latest tech jesus on the intel gpu, this is the type of card the mainstream populous will get their hands on whether its in a prebuilt, laptop or pc shaped object. Heck even the 1030's or iGPU's of yesteryear are likely what most of the world are exposed to in the family home. Most motherboards and PSU's are not capable of meaty enthusiast dGPU's and probably wont have a display beyond some average 1080p from 2015.

Soldato
MM actually has starting seeing more GPUs listed , also its only just started hopefully be more clear in the coming weeks

Yep and they're not being instantly snapped up. Maybe people will start selling at sensible pricing in there now. £500 1080tis is a joke.

Soldato
Just browsing auction site started seeing pre owned 3080's hardly used yeah right

Prices are still high but the one I watched has dropped £200 in few hours must be panicking lol

Associate
There was always going to be a point at which the crypto market would correct itself after such a large gain in a short space of time, the question is how big will that correction be before it levels out or rises again. Although as gamers we hope for a crash so that we can get a gpu at MRSP it might not be good for the global economy, which is why it really should be regulated Bitcoin craze will trigger the 'mother of all crashes', warns 'Big Short' investor Michael Burry (msn.com)

If you believe that there will be the mother of all crashes keep waiting for cheaper cards

Soldato

Well TBH? I have seen absolutely insane prices on the 3060 too. I had to remind myself at times that it was actually not even a great card at RRP. Let alone at a bag of sand and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom