• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU panic selling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Anyone else noticed an abundance of used high end GPUs for sale all of a sudden?

I know a lot of people paid well overall retail (myself included £1050 for a used 6800xt) it looks like a lot of people who over paid are looking to get out while the cards are still selling for over MSRP

Could this be the start of the return to normality?

Soldato
Stocks slowly improving and miners don't want to pay scalped prices anymore so a lot of cards sitting unsold and just like people panic brought to raise the prices once prices start dropping people will start to panic sell and start undercutting each other.

Associate
Yes mining no longer as profitable (still in +) and ETH hash rate dropped significantly. Means many gpus are on the market. Hold your horses buys, gpus are coming home.

Soldato
yeah just checked that well known auction site there were about 16 3080FE's when I looked last monday there are now 184. Although could just be that there were drops last week and these are the ones from the last drop. So no normality just scalpers. Although noticed one receipt said Nov 2020.

I think the biggest tell tale sign will be when 3080's drop below £1000. Until then reserve judgement.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes mining no longer as profitable (still in +) and ETH hash rate dropped significantly. Means many gpus are on the market. Hold your horses buys, gpus are coming home.
A 3080 is only making about 90 quid a month mining now and the prices of cards are dropping by more than that per month.

Associate
Reading stuff like this gets me excited. Need rid of my GT210 powering my 5800x. Driver crashes every hour or so. I hope this is the end of the overpriced/unobtainable GPUs!

Soldato
I think a lot of the scalpers are trying are trying to dump the cards they've been hoarding so that they don't get caught out. It only means a situation now where things are selling for double RRP instead of 2.5-3x RRP though, which is still ridiculous.

Caporegime
I think a lot of the scalpers are trying are trying to dump the cards they've been hoarding so that they don't get caught out. It only means a situation now where things are selling for double RRP instead of 2.5-3x RRP though, which is still ridiculous.

Big loss if you get caught with a load of stock you can't shift.

Soldato
Could this be the start of the return to normality?

Obviously it's the "start" of that road to normality but don't expect us to get to the end of that road until 2022 at the earliest.

However, the next generation of GPU launches next year as well and that could revive another mining boom.

I think it's best not to get our hopes up.

Soldato
Goes to show how AIB ampere cards have been mostly sold in bulk to mining customers, probably in China. Nearly every ampere card on the bay is a founders. Now mining is on the down turn we are starting to see retailers get more stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom