• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU price hike

Associate
Is it my idea or are used GPU's more expensive? Looking at used 106/7/8 cards and they seem to be more expensive compared to a year ago.

Soldato
Yes and certain companies are gouging the prices of the new AmD products. Graphics cards that aren’t even here yet have gone up £15-20 on preorders
The £ against the $ I think is going to get worse for a while yet. I see $1 parity at some point in the not too distant future which is another 16% loss from here if that happens, or put it another way, product prices could rise by the same %.

Soldato
Price gouging, its disgusting it really is. The GPU market is a complete scandal. It has to be an absolute bargain for me to buy a GPU, if they were priced fairly and a good rate of performance improvement was maintained i'd actually spend more money on GPU's but they don't want that, so AMD/NV and their various partners in crime ie retailers can get stuffed.

Soldato
Happens every time no matter how good the exchange rate looks.

Better off buying used and stay a generation behind these days, or just keep what you have for longer. It's not like we get the huge leaps in performance we did 10+ years ago anyway.

Gaming at 1080 or 1440 (as most people still are), the difference between the top end AMD and Nvidia cards within the last few years is as near as makes no difference. Unless you're in to benchmark e-peen.

Last edited:
Associate
I was monitoring the 2080tis close and yes they put the price up very quickly sometimes i have seen some cards rise twice in a day when the pound drops. but when it goes back up to where it was not so fast, usually dressed up as a special offer.

Soldato
Price gouging, its disgusting it really is. The GPU market is a complete scandal. It has to be an absolute bargain for me to buy a GPU, if they were priced fairly and a good rate of performance improvement was maintained i'd actually spend more money on GPU's but they don't want that, so AMD/NV and their various partners in crime ie retailers can get stuffed.
Feel like we need a Mike Ashley here to do some whistle blowing :rolleyes:

Soldato
Feel like we need a Mike Ashley here to do some whistle blowing :rolleyes:
Eh? You mean the one who will do that when he wants to get his own way yet previously treated staff like **** if I remember correctly? Pity he didn't whistle blow on his own behaviour before he was outed :). Self dobbing.
I don't have issue with AMD/NV pricing to be honest in what is a fairly niche market with limited competition but I do find aftermarket cooling solutions for another £150+ laughable.

Soldato
Eh? You mean the one who will do that when he wants to get his own way yet previously treated staff like **** if I remember correctly? Pity he didn't whistle blow on his own behaviour before he was outed :). Self dobbing.
I don't have issue with AMD/NV pricing to be honest in what is a fairly niche market with limited competition but I do find aftermarket cooling solutions for another £150+ laughable.
Yeah just the first part, the rest is well ermmmm.... :o

Associate

giphy.gif

Caporegime
Happens every time no matter how good the exchange rate looks.

Yup, which is why i don't buy this £ vs $ bull****. No matter what we always end up paying over the odds as some "reason" is always trotted out in some farcical attempt to justify the price hikes.

Associate
It's pretty poor behaviour imo, I haven't noticed it this bad on OCUK, I usually buy stuff here, prefer to support a UK company. But honestly if this is how they are going to operate I'll use amazon in the future.

Man of Honour
weird how many people cling on to the nonsensical notion of "brand loyalty" when the brands themselves don't show any of this so-called "loyalty" to the paying consumer.
the only loyalty they have are, to themselves and their shareholders...and will look for any opportunity to screw everyone else over.

tl;dr - just buy from the cheapest/best value lol

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
weird how many people cling on to the nonsensical notion of "brand loyalty" when the brands themselves don't show any of this so-called "loyalty" to the paying consumer.
the only loyalty they have are, to themselves and their shareholders...and will look for any opportunity to screw everyone else over.

+1

Soldato

get outta of 'ere with your logic and reason lol

Soldato
Ocuk is the worst company I know for price hikes they're currently selling some Corsair fans for almost 50% more than other companies
If you could sell a product at a 50% premium and get away with it then why wouldn't you? At the end of the day GPU prices just reflect market economics and demand and if people stopped buying cards at these prices then prices would come down soon enough.

Back
Top Bottom