• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices go boom

Soldato
What's that in English?

This, I think. :confused:

The funny thing is, in retail there are cards about. Just be ready to pull the trigger on them when you see the prices. Mining is in free fall, I see many on here trying to get rid of gpus.

The reason why some prices are still high is because not all look or realize. People harp on about 1080ti prices last week for eg 679 pound brand new. if you're paying 1000 pound and not using brain it says it all. 1070s have been even as recent as yesterday, £369.

Loads of cards going to be on mm in next few weeks also. Im sure when you see the other retailers drop prices OCUK will follow suit. The thing is if you can sell a 1080ti at 1000 pound why would you sell it for 700 ? Makes no sense. If people are paying it, can't blame them for that.

Soldato
I have a feeling next gen cards will have incremental improvement and a high price tag.

I expect at most 10% less than inflated prices.

If prices have been driven up aggressively, you don’t drop them; you ride the wave, price drop if demand is low and release the next gen with reinflated prices.

High demand for graphics cards has been a major win for both teams, I remember how we were all moaning at the cost of a 1080 on release day. Now they get to EOL the product at a higher consumer spend.

Associate
If prices have been driven up aggressively, you don’t drop them; you ride the wave, price drop if demand is low and release the next gen with reinflated prices.
Indeed. The rot set in quite a few years ago...

You could once upon a time buy NVidia's top-of-the-range GF110, GF100 or GT200 chip for a reasonable amount: as used in the 280, 480 and 580, for example. The 580 was around £400, IIRC.

The rot set in when they rebadged the 670Ti as the 680 (at a similar price, using a GK104), then released what should have been the 680 (the GK110) as the Titan, for an at the time extortionate price.

https://www.techpowerup.com/162901/did-nvidia-originally-intend-to-call-gtx-680-as-gtx-670-ti

Sadly people rather than being miffed at what Nvidia was doing, fell for it hook, line and sinker. We've been stuck with the Titan ever since, as it proved to Nvidia that people were willing to pay what was (and still is, IMO) over-the-odds pricing. Great for investors, annoying for gamers. Nvidia of course even managed to monetise the failed Titans, in the form of the x80Ti cards. They're sold for a fortune, too, trebles all round!

This latest price rising due to miners is another example, IMO. As others have said, if they can shift the things to gamers at silly prices, why on earth would they reduce the pricing? I'd imagine the 20x0 series of cards, if that's what they end up being called, will still end up costing far more than they would have done if mining wasn't a thing.

Man of Honour
I was looking to get my son a new GPU but things are still runnng just about OK on his card at the moment. So that's not happening. I will get him a used card in a year or two if absolutely necessary. I was also looking to build myself another gaming machine and trying to get back into ganing. But again the prices are too high to make it worth it.

I'm pretty much out of PC gaming now because prices are too high. I think this could very well kill the PC gaming market long term.

I'm out.

Soldato
I was looking to get my son a new GPU but things are still runnng just about OK on his card at the moment. So that's not happening. I will get him a used card in a year or two if absolutely necessary. I was also looking to build myself another gaming machine and trying to get back into ganing. But again the prices are too high to make it worth it.

I'm pretty much out of PC gaming now because prices are too high. I think this could very well kill the PC gaming market long term.

I'm out.

We are approaching the release of the next series of cards (normally april/may) so i'd keep an eye on the second hand market once they come out.

Soldato
We are approaching the release of the next series of cards (normally april/may) so i'd keep an eye on the second hand market once they come out.

It’s likely many don’t see this as a downside, but I would imagine a lot of these will be ex-mining cards flooding the market. I don’t actually trust the second hand market much anymore, the only place I will buy and sell is the MM.

Man of Honour
It’s likely many don’t see this as a downside, but I would imagine a lot of these will be ex-mining cards flooding the market. I don’t actually trust the second hand market much anymore, the only place I will buy and sell is the MM.

I agree, mining has also ruined the second hand market. Mine genuinely hasn't been used for mining, but let's be honest, everyone will claim this when they sell them on. If this remains a problem when I come to upgrade my 1080Ti I will likely switch to next gen consoles. I don't see any resolution to this at the moment.

Man of Honour
I tend to agree. Also used prices will still be high if new prices are even higher. I think I'll just leave it a year for things to settle down and consider options then.

...which also means not buying other new components such as MB, RAM, CPU, etc. The whole PC enthusiast industry is going to get hurt over this.

Or alternatively the used card market will collapse as miners flood the market trying to exit before everyone else does. That will reduce demand for expensive cards and again hit retailers who get stuck with stock.

Prices stay high and people stop buying other conponents. Or prices collapse (less likely) and retailers have to chase the market down. Either way it's not good long term for retailers.

Edit: My current plan is to start buying more Xbox games for my son instead of OC and look at getting myself a new laptop instead of a gaming PC.

Soldato
I had a good chuckle at a post in the MM this morning where the cards have been advertised in detail but the word mining has been cleverly avoided throughout although it's obvious.

It’s a common trend I think. Demonstrative that there’s some bias against it, I know it’s fickle but i wouldn’t mind seeing the rules require mining be explicitly mentioned.

Man of Honour
It’s a common trend I think. Demonstrative that there’s some bias against it, I know it’s fickle but i wouldn’t mind seeing the rules require mining be explicitly mentioned.

I wouldn't want to pay that much money on a card that has been heavily mined potentially using up a good bit of the cards life. I suspect most people are in the same boat.

Associate
My Palit Jetstream 1080 went funny whilst playing project cars 2 yesterday and no longer gives a display. Still in warranty but bought through competitor (starts with an e) so now a bit worried, especially with prices how they are. I hadnt been keeping up with latest trends, as I've just been enjoying the card, but can't believe how much the same card is now going for! Glad I didn't wait at the time...

Associate
All talk about the effect of mining on GPU prices but nothing is ever mentioned about driverless car development on the demand for GPU’s, surely this is also having an effect on demand supply and pricing?

Back
Top Bottom