• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices go boom

Soldato
RoI - return on investment. You'd be very hard pushed to see RoI on an inflated Vega in less that 8-9 months. I have no idea how you'd do it in 2-3, as has been claimed.
He's using a strawman argument, if you had bought a Vega at launch for £350-450 like many of us did then they would have paid back what they cost in the first few months. Of course since then the cost of the cards has doubled and the reward plummeted so you're now looking at 8-9 months like you say (realistically more).

Associate
He's using a strawman argument, if you had bought a Vega at launch for £350-450 like many of us did then they would have paid back what they cost in the first few months. Of course since then the cost of the cards has doubled and the reward plummeted so you're now looking at 8-9 months like you say (realistically more).

No, the last 4-5 months previous to this correction, Vegas at £700 had a ROI of 2-3 months.

I am not speculating or guessing, I know because I did it. Paid off.

EDIT - along with many others in OCUK forums.

I do agree its now not as profitable and the ROI has extended, but its still profitable.

Last edited:
Soldato
Who is going to be hit really hard? I have seen people say this a lot, but, who exactly? The miners? the investors? Who?

As for it been a con driven by criminals. Nope, it ain't and if you think it is then you really have no understanding of blockchain. Blockchain is only going to get bigger. It's already been used in business, they are already using it for large transactions.

Dude, I wrote Linux software for automating CCMiner when Christian Buchner was writing it for Nvidia Maxwell cards. I undertstand what Blockchain is, and I also understand how money laundering works.

Soldato
Well, it goes from from the stupid to the ridiculous. Chap that bought both my old 390s around 5 months ago, a few weeks back offered me £650 for my Vega64 without the waterblock on it. Two days ago he's now tried £700 for it, yes he's a miner, I honestly have no idea why he wants my Vega 64 so bad, is it that much better than all the other cards at mining or something?

Just looked at OCUK, £900 for a reference now, and £1000 for a new AIB model :eek::eek::eek::eek:. It's no wonder Gibbo has kept totally quiet on all this, I get its a business and all that, but come on, that mark up is absolutely disgusting. My card has doubled in value since launch day. Paid £459 and now at £900 new. It's increasing in value more than my house is haha.

I might tell him to buy me a brand new 1080ti then he can swap me for it.

Soldato
Well, it goes from from the stupid to the ridiculous. Chap that bought both my old 390s around 5 months ago, a few weeks back offered me £650 for my Vega64 without the waterblock on it. Two days ago he's now tried £700 for it, yes he's a miner, I honestly have no idea why he wants my Vega 64 so bad, is it that much better than all the other cards at mining or something?

Just looked at OCUK, £900 for a reference now, and £1000 for a new AIB model :eek::eek::eek:. It's no wonder Gibbo has kept totally quiet on all this, I get its a business and all that, but come on, that mark up is absolutely disgusting. My card has doubled in value since launch day. Paid £459 and now at £900 new. It's increasing in value more than my house is haha.

He needed to pay for his new car LOL

Soldato
I have never done any mining either.

I don't believe in using a lot of electricity to make a few quid as it is not exactly environmentally friendly.

I don't get this argument. IF you really want to save the environment stop using social media(Twitter, facebook) online forums, online game saves, photo sharing sites, youtube etc. Because data centres use way more electricity than mining. Facebook alone uses more power than a country.

Soldato
Dude, I wrote Linux software for automating CCMiner when Christian Buchner was writing it for Nvidia Maxwell cards. I undertstand what Blockchain is, and I also understand how money laundering works.

Good for you, and yet your previous comment shows complete ignorance. It's still not a con been fronted by criminals.

Soldato
Good for you, and yet your previous comment shows complete ignorance. It's still not a con been fronted by criminals.
He didn't say it was fronted by criminals he said it was driven by criminals, thus implying that a large portion of crypto trading is used for money laundering. Which is both true and advantageous, as the US dollar achieves much of it's global dominance due to it's involvement in laundering, if you couldn't use it to evade tax or hide illegal income then it wouldn't be as popular.

Soldato
Well i've not posted here in a long time been happily gaming away and thought maybe it's time to upgrade now the 1080ti has been out so long. Well how wrong could i be, i'm sure i seen 1080ti at £650 a few months ago now £900 :eek:

Looks like it will be a long while before i upgrade. :(

Associate
I don't get this argument. IF you really want to save the environment stop using social media(Twitter, facebook) online forums, online game saves, photo sharing sites, youtube etc. Because data centres use way more electricity than mining. Facebook alone uses more power than a country.

The problem with something like Bitcoin is that it's poorly designed management system deliberately wastes processing cycles to limit the number of bitcoins. It is in effect deliberately wasting energy. When you consider that this now amounts to nearly 30 Tera Watts hours per year, then things are getting serious. Apparently a single Bitcoin trade now consumes enough electricity to power a home for a month. I mean it's a simply insane process to implement when you consider that we are already wrecking the planet, but there you go, it has been implemented. It's also estimated that 80% of mining happens in China, so you are talking largely coal being used to generate the electricity.

Soldato
He didn't say it was fronted by criminals he said it was driven by criminals, thus implying that a large portion of crypto trading is used for money laundering. Which is both true and advantageous.

ok, Since both you and String are saying the same thing, maybe I am wrong. So can you please show me some evidence that the majority of Bitcoin trading is used for money laundering.

Soldato
He didn't say it was fronted by criminals he said it was driven by criminals, thus implying that a large portion of crypto trading is used for money laundering. Which is both true and advantageous, as the US dollar achieves much of it's global dominance due to it's involvement in laundering, if you couldn't use it to evade tax or hide illegal income then it wouldn't be as popular.

Exactly, but he's entrenched in his view so I'm happy to leave him to it.

Soldato
Haven't looked at the stocks but we are talking about AMD cards here not Nvidia.

I don't see the Nvidia cards as over inflated as the AMD GPU's.
but nowhere has had much stock of AMD since launch, that was the whole argument, so you cant say that all of a sudden huge numbers of AMD cards have been flying out of the door, Im one of the lucky ones who got a RX vega 64 on Launch from Ocuk for 400 quid.

Soldato
It's just a talking point by governments afraid of losing control of currency markets.
hahaha governments will never lose control of currency markets to some 2-bit cryptocurrency, do you know how much currency markets are worth? I'm guessing a lot more than all the crypto currency put together.
as said it is a huge criminal con job. telling yourself otherwise doesn't change that

Back
Top Bottom