• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices in the UK

Associate
Because idiots buy them. Unfortunately OCUK is a business and if fools are willing to pay their prices why wouldn't they charge it. There are many on the site who already own rtx2000 cards who simply don't need these new cards at all but like the latest iPhone are desperate to buy no matter the cost just to say they have one. Of course people will argue it's a hobby, but they will prob still moan about the price while handing over their cash.

OCUK has a nice forum and nice website but prices jave been terrible for years. Although occasionally they can have a good deal so always worth checking back now and then. I just had a quick look at the rtx3090, a £1400 card selling for £1700-£1900. Disgusting tbh. Why would anyone pay £300+ over reference. Theres no justification for those prices but greed and fools.
You want to tell me I didnt need to upgrade from 11 to 12 Pro Max? Maybe I didnt and 12 Pro Max doesnt even have 120Hz screen. And now I dont need to upgrade from 2060 Super to 3080/6800? What is next, should I cancel my 5600X preorder because my 3600X is too good? Sir I think youre trying to trick us

Associate
On topic though:

if you had 2000 cards on preorder, all paid for in advance,
ranging from £500 to £1500,
if you only average it to £750 per card,

£1.500.000 sitting in your account for over a month, sure there would be some decent interest on that. I would also add £80ish on top while the cards are not readily available.

Associate
This might not have anything to do with the launch of the 6800 cards etc etc, but this thread is about "GPU prices in the UK", and I believe OCUK are right at the top of the list of culprits to blame for scalped pricing and abusing the general consumer....

I mean, just look at this disgusting state of affairs, no doubt exploiting the fact some people don't know any better and the main fact, that everyone is sold out of the latest cards...

BUT STILL, DISGUSTING OCUK! https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...92mb-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-35k-ms.html

Associate
This might not have anything to do with the launch of the 6800 cards etc etc, but this thread is about "GPU prices in the UK", and I believe OCUK are right at the top of the list of culprits to blame for scalped pricing and abusing the general consumer....

I mean, just look at this disgusting state of affairs, no doubt exploiting the fact some people don't know any better and the main fact, that everyone is sold out of the latest cards...

BUT STILL, DISGUSTING OCUK! https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...92mb-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-35k-ms.html

Are you being serious? If you are... come on now.

Not really disgusting running a business to make a profit is it. If the price of a 2080 at £799 is the disgusting part then that may be an indicator why there are some in stock...

If you've got £800 quid to drop on GPU right now, more fool you if you don't do your homework up front. Hardly OCUK's fault they've got stock on the shelves. Likewise, if they really need to shift it, I'm sure they can.

Associate
Are you being serious? If you are... come on now.

Not really disgusting running a business to make a profit is it. If the price of a 2080 at £799 is the disgusting part then that may be an indicator why there are some in stock...

If you've got £800 quid to drop on GPU right now, more fool you if you don't do your homework up front. Hardly OCUK's fault they've got stock on the shelves. Likewise, if they really need to shift it, I'm sure they can.

I think you are confused.

#1 That would be a terrible price for a 2080, which is now rendered obsolete and outclassed by newer cards, but even older cards available like the 5700xt smashes it in some benchmarks and price wise, its not even remotely close.

#2 However, more importantly, you seem unable to read and are not even referencing the correct item I clearly and correctly linked, which only looks even WORSE.

#3 Leading me to the conclusion you are either a troll, an idiot or both.

Associate
Don't forget that these prices are Manufacturer Suggested Retail Prices. No store has to stick to that, and frankly if they can sell just as many at a higher price I don't see any justification in selling cheaper. Capitalism works both ways, and currently it just happens to work against us. It'll reverse once stock starts arriving in bulk and competition starts kicking in.

In the meantime, save your money. Or spend more to get one sooner. It's not about being a fool for paying over MSRP, and it's not about being smart for waiting until it's cheaper. Get what you can afford, when you can afford it, stock permitting. Ignore everyone else and make your own financial decisions.

Soldato
MSRP/RRP are expected by the ASA to apply to majority of products sold, so there is a requirement in terms of advertising, but of course the ASA dont proactively regulate, they do it reactively.

IF a product at launch has e.g. 1000 units sold at £500 due to manufacturer rebate but then settles at £600, then a claimed RRP of £500 would be ruled as misleading, instead its a introductory offer price.

By comparison we havent seen official retailer's jump up the price of xbox and ps consoles.

Soldato
That 2070S @ £799 just reminds of the old computer shops with the beige pre-built systems running 3 years old hardware for original selling price with dead flies all around it. It's the message it sends, they look WAY out of touch on the performance/price points.

If you haven't sold your 2 year old GPUs then the price is wrong, their warehouse must be full of old stock they can't shift - or there is a market out there of selling to uninformed gullible idiots with too much money. Which again, looks awful and out of touch.

It's not just OcUK though. Do they not have buy-back deals any more?

Associate
By comparison we havent seen official retailer's jump up the price of xbox and ps consoles.

Because Sony and Microsoft wouldn't stand it and remove that retailer and they would never sell from that product line again, most the retailers also make money from games sales as the consoles have no margin.

Soldato
MSRP/RRP are expected by the ASA to apply to majority of products sold, so there is a requirement in terms of advertising, but of course the ASA dont proactively regulate, they do it reactively.

IF a product at launch has e.g. 1000 units sold at £500 due to manufacturer rebate but then settles at £600, then a claimed RRP of £500 would be ruled as misleading, instead its a introductory offer price.

Are you sure about that? I spend a fair amount of my life dealing in SRPs and you have to be super super careful and laid back about saying it's only suggested and the retail price is none of my business the retailer can price however they like etc etc.

The fear of being seen to attempt price fixing is enough to keep most mfrs a million miles from any sort of action.

The only way people like MS/Apple etc manage it is to effectively choose decent partners who behave or offer such wafer thin margins discounting is impossible and give back end rebates in lieu of activity/execution.

In this instance yes there's an SRP but OCUK are just pricing to demand which is entirely their right.

Associate
Hmm, some interesting thoughts here.
I picked up the RADEON RX 580 RED DRAGON for £207 on pre-order in October 2017. I see it's now £199, thought it would have dropped more.

At the time, I was finding it nigh on impossible to find a reasonably priced graphics card (was the Cryptocurrency mining craze) so I was thankful when I rediscovered Overclockers. I've found much of their pricing to be quite reasonable which is why I still order from them. Admittedly, I haven't ordered a GPU for years - prior to the aforementioned RX 580 my last graphics card purchase was a NVIDIA X800 GTO.

I suppose components are only really worth what you're willing to spend on them

Associate
I think you are confused.

#1 That would be a terrible price for a 2080, which is now rendered obsolete and outclassed by newer cards, but even older cards available like the 5700xt smashes it in some benchmarks and price wise, its not even remotely close.

#2 However, more importantly, you seem unable to read and are not even referencing the correct item I clearly and correctly linked, which only looks even WORSE.

#3 Leading me to the conclusion you are either a troll, an idiot or both.

OK OK, relax, it's called a healthy disagreement; so considering your point #3, no need to start throwing insults around.

I'll address my interpretation of each of your other points one by one and perhaps we can be a little more civil.

OCUK culprits, scalpers and abusing customers: I can't say I've noticed outwardly hostile abuse from OCUK to potential customers. Referencing inflating prices or scalping - with the upward trend in GPU prices, that criticism could be levelled at any online retailer trying to stay afloat in what I'd assume is a highly competitive market.

Exploiting the fact some people are unawares (of technological advances I presume): was my reasoning for stating dropping 800 quid on a card, with the customer being uninformed, isn't really an issue for OCuk to concern themselves with? It's a sale to them after all and I'm not sure why they would really care?

Your Link: I click the link, takes me to an MSI 2070 for £799, I've just spotted i typed 2080 in my post, which was a typo on my part. My mistake.

points #1 and 2 are pretty much covered by the above.

either way, I was unsure as to whether your original post with the caps lock 'DISGUSTING OCUK', was genuine or sarcasm. It appears it was genuine. For what it's worth I'm not particularly happy about how GPU prices have lurched about as well; generally jumping upwards over the past 3 generations. I vote with my wallet and I'll buy what I can afford. Getting back to the point about £800 on a 2070, yes its ridiculous pricing and on a 2080 also marginally above the average I suppose. The thing is, you'll probably never see those remaining 2070's or 80's get sold for whatever they may seem to be worth now (I'm guessing £300 for a 2070 and £500 for a 2080 or something like that) because OCUK would still be massively out of pocket. Maybe they'll shift something on black friday because surely there comes a point where that warehouse shelf space is more valuable than the old GPU's sitting around gathering dust.

Personally I see OCUK trying to maintain a successful business, in challenging economic times, rather than gouging and artificially inflating prices in some kind of conspiracy. GPU prices are just getting silly, and that's a fact, worldwide; not just a small corner of the UK. If I've missed your point then you're either going to have to explain it to me more simply, or we can just agree to disagree. It's just a graphics card after all.

Soldato
Are you sure about that? I spend a fair amount of my life dealing in SRPs and you have to be super super careful and laid back about saying it's only suggested and the retail price is none of my business the retailer can price however they like etc etc.

The fear of being seen to attempt price fixing is enough to keep most mfrs a million miles from any sort of action.

The only way people like MS/Apple etc manage it is to effectively choose decent partners who behave or offer such wafer thin margins discounting is impossible and give back end rebates in lieu of activity/execution.

In this instance yes there's an SRP but OCUK are just pricing to demand which is entirely their right.

I never said anything about OCUK, they are not the one's advertising a lower MSRP.

My comment actually helps OCUK, as they have been slammed by consumers for gouging, when they have tried to explain they can only meet MSRP by using a rebate which is only been offered on launch day.

Nvidia becoming compliant is quite easy, they simply need to remove MSRP from all of their content including reviewers, then they would be compliant. But they want to send a misleading message that people can buy their stuff lower than it actually is.

If you look at the last 2 generations, MSRP was barely met at all, it is a fantasy number, 1080 ti's only barely reached it when massive rebates were given to clear old stock ready for new gen.

Last edited:
Permabanned
£1.500.000 sitting in your account for over a month, sure there would be some decent interest on that. I would also add £80ish on top while the cards are not readily available.

You are clearly not a saver if you think any account is paying decent interest these days.

Soldato
I never said anything about OCUK, they are not the one's advertising a lower MSRP.

My comment actually helps OCUK, as they have been slammed by consumers for gouging, when they have tried to explain they can only meet MSRP by using a rebate which is only been offered on launch day.

Nvidia becoming compliant is quite easy, they simply need to remove MSRP from all of their content including reviewers, then they would be compliant. But they want to send a misleading message that people can buy their stuff lower than it actually is.

If you look at the last 2 generations, MSRP was barely met at all, it is a fantasy number, 1080 ti's only barely reached it when massive rebates were given to clear old stock ready for new gen.

So you're saying the problem is NV advertising an MSRP nobody is paying attention to?

Soldato
Hi all,

I am very eager to upgrade to either a 6800 XT or 3080 for the release CP2077 (which is looking less likely by the day), but I'm quite frustrated with the prices being so much higher than the initially advertised MSRPs.

I understand how Nvidia draws people in with false promises and their MSRPs are essentially nonsense as they never planned on making many reference cards (as explained by MLID and Gamers Nexus), but I am disappointed with the prices I'm seeing for the 6800 XT reference card. I simply don't understand how $650 works out to be £680. I imagine there is an import tax I'm not accounting for but what I've worked out so far is this:

$650 dollars = £486, plus 20% VAT = £583. So where is the near £100 extra coming from? An EU tax?

If I understood this better I might feel more comfortable paying the extra than I hoped for, but if it doesn't add up and I know I'm just being ripped off I think I'll wait and tolerate an initial playthrough of CP at low FPS/settings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Dale
is this OCUK price? it looks like it.

its a markup by OCUK. there are competitors priced 6800XT around £620-£630 mark. still expensive but more pallatable. OCUK is in for a bumper year of profit...

Back
Top Bottom