• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU Prices Suck. This Is What They SHOULD Have Cost

Soldato
I'm just skipping more generations than I used to, no point upgrading when the upgrade is even more than the last card for a scant few percent, needs to basically be double the performance to bite at these prices

No games are really pushing me to upgrade either so this year's fun money went on an oled widescreen

Soldato
OP
Another great example posted today regarding how pricing has become silly, the 1080ti 7th year anniversary and how it was the last 80ti card with a more normal price.

Soldato
The age old method of selling cards has long gone, the fabled "Upgrade Itch" is no longer a thing for most. We all see through AMD and Nvidias bovine excrement now with poor hardware progress, masked by software "help" to get more frame rates.

Great to see people not falling as much for their rubbish and voting with their wallets. IF they can't be bothered to be innovative and make some progress in hardware, without depending on software/AI to boost frame rates, then I'm not going to buy their stuff anymore, that upgrade itch just isn't needing scratched as much these days, long may that continue.

Soldato
The huge gaps between resolutions, hz and then having freesync/gsync combined with dlss helps soften the blow. Expensive at cutting edge, as always.

Last edited:
Soldato
yes silly prices, amd/nvidia fault? nah, gamers cant help themselves, they cant resist whatever the price, so generally its our own fault imo. they are businesses that want to make big profits. so you can hardly blame them, they are only asking what gamers are prepared to pay.
if we didnt buy in sufficiently numbers, then they have no option but to lower prices.
both companies dont need to be good to gamers, they filling their boots with the AI boom at this moment in time .

Man of Honour
I'm just skipping more generations than I used to, no point upgrading when the upgrade is even more than the last card for a scant few percent, needs to basically be double the performance to bite at these prices

No games are really pushing me to upgrade either so this year's fun money went on an oled widescreen

I can see a lot of people doing this - which as I've mentioned before would be somewhat ironic given nVidia's grips awhile back about people not upgrading every new release cycle and feeling they were "owed" money.

Personally I don't care about the price of the halo product(s) - if I needed that performance I'd pay for it, but even in this day and age £1K or more for the x80 class products is just very poor value and everything below that is just hideous.

Associate
Like others, I either buy used, skip generations or go for a different tier card than i used too.

As long as the upgrade from my existing card is significant I don't care whats its called, but i'm not paying stupid prices for GPU's

Man of Honour
I'm repeating myself, but I still recall going to a Computer Fair (remember those?) and buying a top o' the line Voodoo 2, fastest card of the day.

Cost?

A princely £89.

Those were the days.

I managed to pick up an Obsidian Voodoo 1 for £60 IIRC (definitely less than £100) - can't remember if it was Game or EB or who now but they were selling them for a few weeks and clearly had no idea what they were selling as they were normally a few hundred for that variant.

(Sadly not one of the variants which were like £2-3K then and go for £1K even now as a collectable item).

Last edited:
Soldato
I managed to pick up an Obsidian Voodoo 1 for £60 IIRC (definitely less than £100) - can't remember if it was Game or EB or who now but they were selling them for a few weeks and clearly had no idea what they were selling as they were normally a few hundred for that variant.

(Sadly not one of the variants which were like £2-3K then and go for £1K even now as a collectable item).
If i remember right i paid about £75 for my voodoo 1, But my voodoo 2 was about £110
Also if i remember right the voodoo 2 came in two versions a 8mb & 12mb i had the cheaper 8mb one

My voodoo 3 3000 AGP if i remember right was £160
I also had the Voodoo 5500 the one with twin chips but can't how much i paid for this one.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah. first dedicated card I had was a voodoo 3 3000 AGP. Great card. bought it as the integrated graphics on my board with Celeron 500 wouldn't play Hidden & Dangerous.

Back
Top Bottom