• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices

Associate
Hi, Im looking to upgrade my GPU from a 7950. Im aware that prices for GPUs got crazy for a while, but I'm wondering if they still are? I don't follow the market closely and cant remember the price ranges of the past, and I dont want to upgrade if they're going to get a lot cheaper within the next year. The 2070 (£460) seems to be the same price as the 1080 (£460), which isn't a whole lot more that a 1070 (£360) which seems unusual to me. The 2070 actually seems to be the best value in terms of FPS per £. On top of that everyone online (US/Canada at least) seems to be talking about how the 2070 isnt worth it? I just don't know what to make of it all. How good/bad are the prices at the moment?

Associate
Bad in my opinion and that of many others. The 2xxx series has stretched pricing up at the middle-high and high end while offering insufficient performance gains to really tempt those who own a 1070-1080ti to upgrade, so I wouldn't expect an influx of those cards entering the used market to push prices down. In fact many have been prompted by the 2xxx launch to upgrade to the aforementioned last gen cards, and with the 1080 and 1080 Ti being end of life and in demand, price drops look unlikely there too. Best value for performance probably goes to the 1070 / 1060 depending on your needs - these will be continued by nVidia for the time being along with the 1070 Ti, so it's possible they might drop in price. Otherwise, a lot of us are waiting for AMD to play their next hand.

Associate
OP
The 1070 is only 20% cheaper than the 2070, and the 2070 performs about 30% better, which makes it better value. I gather then that the prices are still screwed. Can you remember how much a 1070 used to cost? I have a vague feeling it was £275 ish.

Soldato
Prices have normalised, by that I mean returned to MSRP or near it. Will they be cheaper next year? Who knows, and if you look at releases since Maxwell (including) waiting would've been not a great proposition. Great tech advances are lacking, price drops have stalled and for the most part everything still revolves around consoles performance-target-wise.

The 2070 is all right as far as $/perf goes, only beaten by the Vega 56 on offer right now (though there's a small performance gap between the two favouring the RTX card). I would say you can confidently buy it and have good performance for a few years and not expect anything better for the price until the end of next year (assuming Navi rumours pan out, i.e. 2070 performance or slightly below for £300ish). Also likely the next consoles will have their GPU power near equal to it (probably lower though), so you can expect to comfortably keep up with console performance with one for their lifespan.

All in all, if you want an upgrade and aren't bothered by HDMI 2.1 (for 4K HDR @ 10bits RGB, and above, 4k120fps etc) then you should go ahead and get one, there's nothing on the horizon that makes it look like it would be a bad time to do so at all.

Associate
The 1070 is only 20% cheaper than the 2070, and the 2070 performs about 30% better, which makes it better value. I gather then that the prices are still screwed. Can you remember how much a 1070 used to cost? I have a vague feeling it was £275 ish.

True, but there are deals for the 1070 occasionally with someone on here managing to order a new EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC Gaming for £272 from the states inc P&P and import tax recently. I think even the most diligent bargain hunters are unlikely to get much off a 2070 for a good while as it's so new, though the 2070 remains the most palatable card in the 2xxx series for many.

I'm sure someone else will fill you in on what prices were during the peak of the crypto-mining craze; all I recall about it was putting my GPU upgrade plans on the backburner during that time :pI wasn't following the prices of the 1xxx series when they launched either, so maybe someone else can help you there.

Soldato
I installed a Vega64 and will be riding it out with that to see what happens over the next couple of years. But I think it will be a while before there is anything worth upgrading to (for a sensible price).

Prices shot up during the mining craze and Nvidia thinks they can cash out on that and rip everyone off, but the craze has ended and it hasn't worked. They have basically frozen the market.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi, Im looking to upgrade my GPU from a 7950. Im aware that prices for GPUs got crazy for a while, but I'm wondering if they still are? I don't follow the market closely and cant remember the price ranges of the past, and I dont want to upgrade if they're going to get a lot cheaper within the next year. The 2070 (£460) seems to be the same price as the 1080 (£460), which isn't a whole lot more that a 1070 (£360) which seems unusual to me. The 2070 actually seems to be the best value in terms of FPS per £. On top of that everyone online (US/Canada at least) seems to be talking about how the 2070 isnt worth it? I just don't know what to make of it all. How good/bad are the prices at the moment?

Don't ignore the Vega 64 (Red Devin, Nitro) at this price point also. Is faster card than the others found at this price bracket (1080 & 2070).
And if you plan to watercool, Strix or used reference will do also.

But if you want to stick to sub £500 and on air, look for used GTX1080Ti non reference model. Saw 3 Aorus 1080Ti Xtreme going for 480-500 on MM.

Associate
Prices are terrible, I really want a new GPU but I can’t bring my self to pay the disgusting prices for 2 year old tech and the new pathetic performance ‘increase’ and inflated prices of the 20XX

Personally I’m scouring the used sections for a Vega64 and I’m looking at the Zotac 1070ti mini Right now

Soldato
I think if you need an upgrade I wouldn't bother waiting, the chances are GPU prices will continue to be worse value for money, there's absolutely no reason to believe that price-gouging is coming to an end any time soon. Buy now and get ripped off, or buy later and get ripped off even more.

There was a time when hanging around for new tech was worthwhile, these days you're just wasting gaming time (and money) as when new tech does arrive the improvements are incremental at best and come with a ludicrous increase in prices.

Soldato
I think if you need an upgrade I wouldn't bother waiting, the chances are GPU prices will continue to be worse value for money, there's absolutely no reason to believe that price-gouging is coming to an end any time soon. Buy now and get ripped off, or buy later and get ripped off even more.

There was a time when hanging around for new tech was worthwhile, these days you're just wasting gaming time (and money) as when new tech does arrive the improvements are incremental at best and come with a ludicrous increase in prices.

They won't if people aren't buying them in large enough numbers, which seems to be the case.

What's happening instead is people are looking for previous gen bargains or switching to Vega. Especially after seeing recent game benchmarks and realising just how poor value the 20 series is. All the cards are overpriced really though.

Last edited:
Soldato
The only "bargains" I find on black Friday are crappy Chinese knock-off TVs.

Or "bargains" which aren't actually bargains at all. Just the usual price, with sale written on it.

Back
Top Bottom