• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU Rma Issue

Associate
Hey,

I have recently sent back a 1070ti gaming X to a certain company in bolton due to excessive coil whine. They asked me to send videos of it before i sent it back and the guy did indeed confirm it had excessive coil whine.

I have tried 3 different PSUs on it, two different systems and so forth and now they insist it has no fault. I am somewhat baffled and at a loss as what to do now as it seems they want to "send it back" to me.

The following videos are here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXoDcnh9mNA&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXoDcnh9mNA&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AMMXVmlKkM&feature=youtu.be

I am somewhat at a loss as what to do now. If anyone has any ideas, would truly be appreciated.. :)

Soldato
Just a thought but I had coil whine on my GPU when it was new, I read that one way of eliminating it was to stress your GPU for a long period of time. So one evening I left my computer running the heaven benchmark in a constant loop overnight and to my surprise by the morning it actually worked and the coil whine was gone.

Associate
OP
I assumed the same thing a while back and it's still the same as when i first purchased it. I kept telling myself "Oh, it will go eventually if i break it in enough" as is with most cards i had but unfortunately the problem remained. :(

Associate
OP
It apparently has no fault even though they asked me for those videos before i sent it and he agreed it was bad hence why i was asked to send it back. I wouldn't mind a bit of coil whine but once it gets to start loud even at 60 fps and 90-120.. it's a little absurd...

Associate
OP
Argue the case with them, assume you have an email chain. Hopefully they will just agree to replace..

Oh, i intended to... i have no intention of backing down and yea... Scam company indeed.. i had this exact same issue years ago with a PSU they sent me and did the exact same thing. I assumed they had changed but apparently not..

Soldato
It depends on on policy as with most manufacturers coil whine isn’t described as a fault as the card itself still functions as intended all be it with that noise.

It also depends on how they have tested the card. For example 4k 60hz maxed running the card as hard as possible will be much quieter than a higher refresh monitor.

Associate
google and you'll find out pretty easily, not many PC re-sellers in Bolton that are big enough to come up so high on the results. I did actually stop using them for years but I just bought some stuff recently as I had actually forgetting how bad they had been in the past, hopefully Ill be all right this time as it was only stuck that either works or is broken so no scope for 'interpretation' :)

Associate
OP
It depends on on policy as with most manufacturers coil whine isn’t described as a fault as the card itself still functions as intended all be it with that noise.

It also depends on how they have tested the card. For example 4k 60hz maxed running the card as hard as possible will be much quieter than a higher refresh monitor.

I'll ask of their testing methology.. it's just amusing one of their staff asked for the videos before starting the RMA and only once i provided them that he agreed it was unacceptable. I even capped Dota 2, WoW, etc to 4k 60hz fps via Nvidia inspector and still sounded horrible. I would not mind if it was say.. 300+ fps but if we're talking 60-140. It's kinda a joke.

All in all, i'll keep pushing them and remember never to use them again. ^_-

Back
Top Bottom