• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU Rma Issue

Associate
As your attorney, if these n@b hawks had told you at the outset that the gfx card had coil whine you wouldn't have bought it from them in the first place.

Most gamers need a gfx card that sits in their rig by your desk (like your set up) and we accept it has a level of fan noises levels and little else.

The item they sold you is not fit for purpose, it is defective and not adequate quality insist on a full refund. Be business like and polite. Give them 2 weeks to refund. Don't accept the card return. If they do not respond write a formal letter of complaint and 2 more weeks. If no joy pass it to a solicitor. I would not get into a prolonged email battle with the company testing the card - you tried it - you returned it - you want a refund.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange/#buyingfromhome

Associate
OP
Well, they have sent it back and said they have done everything they could do.. which is rather amusing. I was tempted to just pick up a new PSU just so they would have nothing left to say... and i even tested everything they had done and noticed coil whine asap.. so yea kinda a joke ^_^

Soldato
Well, they have sent it back and said they have done everything they could do.. which is rather amusing. I was tempted to just pick up a new PSU just so they would have nothing left to say... and i even tested everything they had done and noticed coil whine asap.. so yea kinda a joke ^_^
Do you know what angle they had the card installed in on their system? I have heard once that one retailer tested the card and was upright (fans facing towards you) rather than the normal setup (fans facing down) and they had no issues until it was installed the normal way.

Is there anyone locally to you that could try the card out?

Associate
OP
Do you know what angle they had the card installed in on their system? I have heard once that one retailer tested the card and was upright (fans facing towards you) rather than the normal setup (fans facing down) and they had no issues until it was installed the normal way.

Is there anyone locally to you that could try the card out?

I do recall after asking them for their test setup that it was on an open test bench, so probably not and no, i wish i did have someone else near by to test it out on another system but i had to make do with the two systems i have. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
They were a little vague on the details but basically said he had been tested on an open test bench. If that helps at all.. :) and no, i wish i had someone close by to test out on another system but i had to make do with the two systems i have here.. :)
Did you try the gpu on your second rig, did you have the same issue?

Soldato
I remember that @ED209.

Think that was bad fans but no harm in trying to see if it affects (amplifies) this particular coil whine. Rest your computer on its side and see if there's any improvement.

Soldato
It’s reasonably loud but not too drastic with the fans up to speed in my opinion. I’ve definitely heard worse. Most of the noise comes from the back of the card, hdmi port areas etc when the case is fully closed. I put some of that 10mm thick foam sheeting on mine to block the rear of the case and unused card ports.

I too have tried multiple PSU’s, multiple models of the same card. Not really much difference. In the end pc just went under my desk where it is much quieter.

Majority of people have either loud systems, headphones, or 60hz monitors where the coil whine is barely noticeable anyhow.

I asked my brother once and he said, no I don’t have any coil whine on my card. Only when I got to his house to test mine and his 7 case fans were at 1800rpm standard did I realise why.

You could try 50 models of card, board, PSU and they will all pretty much be the same.

Just one of those things unfortunately with how gpu vrm’s work and supplying a few hundred amps to the gpu core etc.

Soldato
I tried above and while it makes a slight difference. It's not a major one. I did mange to get a another PSU to test it out on and this is the result...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRZgMXKJROU&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpw0CXAEyfE&feature=youtu.be

It's not terrible but yeah maybe you sit around it long enough and you can't help thinking why do I have to put up with it.

Have you tried contacting MSI directly?

Have you tried undervolting to see if any difference?

Associate
OP
It's not terrible but yeah maybe you sit around it long enough and you can't help thinking why do I have to put up with it.

Have you tried contacting MSI directly?

Have you tried undervolting to see if any difference?

Indeed, it does get rather annoying and those recordings are for 1440p extreme heaven benchmark so for Heros of the Storm and Dota 2... hitting 120 fps... even more so... MSI were originally the people i contacted and they told me to go to the retailer. I've not really tried undervolting it, mostly stock and overclocking it to be honest!. :)

Soldato
Indeed, it does get rather annoying and those recordings are for 1440p extreme heaven benchmark so for Heros of the Storm and Dota 2... hitting 120 fps... even more so... MSI were originally the people i contacted and they told me to go to the retailer. I've not really tried undervolting it, mostly stock and overclocking it to be honest!. :)

Can still overclock with undervolting, so worth a try. Been reading that it can affect whine.

Back
Top Bottom