GPU upgrade 1440p Gaming

Associate
Hey

I was wondering what GPU should I go for if I was thinking about upgrading. I'm gaming at 1440p (144Hz). I don't have any particular budget in mind but I would prefer a good price/performance ratio. Of course, performance is more important. I've noticed my current GPU struggling with some games, lately. I am a casual gamer but I want to be able to throw anything at it and get everything from the game without having to compromise. Any and all recommendations are appreciated.

Specs:
MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI (AMD AM4) DDR4 X570 ATX Motherboard
Team Group 8Pack Edition 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C16 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Eight Core 4.4GHz (Socket AM4) Processor
Corsair RM Series RM650 650W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply
ADATA 2TB XPG SX8200 Pro PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER WindForce OC 8192MB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card
ECLIPSE P500 AIR ATX CASE TEMPERED GLASS DRGB SATIN BLACK
LG 27GL850-B 27" 2560x1440 NANO IPS 144Hz 1ms FreeSync/G-Sync Compatible Widescreen LED Gaming Monitor

you have a 2080 super which is the equivalent performance of a 3060ti/6700xt
following the 50% rule, you'd need at least a 3080/6800xt to make it worth your while

so be prepared to spend £650+ if you really want to upgrade
personally, i wouldn't

following the 50% rule, you'd need at least a 3080/6800xt to make it worth your while

personally, i wouldn't
And a new psu.

@r00s73r

You could also upgrade your 3700x to a 5800x3d the fastest gaming cpu on that platform.

I'm kinda in the same boat and looking at a 4070ti from a 2070 super as i don't think there a bad price in terms of the current market

I also upgraded my 3700x to a 5800x3d

Z33FWSv.jpg

4070ti has been rejected by gamers and is dead at its current price, Nvidia needs to sell GPUs and will be forced to cut prices.

I don't think you will get good value from an upgrade right now. The 2080 super is a solid card and prices of significantly better cards are still elevated. Hopefully general oversupply and launch of lower tier 40 series cards will bring prices down soon.

On the other hand, AMD have shot themselves in the foot with their 7000 GPUs, and nVidia may be willing to sit on stock rather than let prices crash.

4070ti has been rejected by gamers and is dead at its current price, Nvidia needs to sell GPUs and will be forced to cut prices.
not sure what your point here is?

just because there not selling doesn't mean its not a seriously good upgrade from a 2070 super for me If I have a spare £850?

People say these cards are super expensive etc, well look at last year you'd be paying £2000 for this performance I can now pay £850 for.

GPU market is high becuase cost to make them as gone up as well as cost of living and materials and everything else, I dunno honestly why people are complaining.

not sure what your point here is?

just because there not selling doesn't mean its not a seriously good upgrade from a 2070 super for me If I have a spare £850?

People say these cards are super expensive etc, well look at last year you'd be paying £2000 for this performance I can now pay £850 for.

GPU market is high because cost to make them as gone up as well as cost of living and materials and everything else, I dunno honestly why people are complaining.
Last year was a different market and GPUs were making £5-10 a day crypto mining, demand was sky high and so were the prices, now the cards are not selling and demand is at and all time low yet prices are being kept artificially high as Nvidia is trying to make crypto prices the norm for gamers but gamers are not having it.

Costs have gone up but nowhere near the prices that they are now trying to charge due to the much smaller dies being used.

Quite simply you are being ripped off with cards like the 4070ti, tech tubers and those in the industry know this and so do the majority of gamers which is why they are not buying.

personally, i wouldn't
Theoretically speaking, when would you consider the upgrade? "If this card cost this much" or something like that. Are there any particular cards/manufacturers I should avoid/focus on?

And a new psu.

@r00s73r

You could also upgrade your 3700x to a 5800x3d the fastest gaming cpu on that platform.
Yes, thank you. I thought upgrading only GPU might not be enough. What PSU would I be looking for in that case?

I don't think you will get good value from an upgrade right now. The 2080 super is a solid card and prices of significantly better cards are still elevated. Hopefully general oversupply and launch of lower tier 40 series cards will bring prices down soon.

On the other hand, AMD have shot themselves in the foot with their 7000 GPUs, and nVidia may be willing to sit on stock rather than let prices crash.

I'd hang on to your 2080 super for the time being and wait for the inevitable price crash that's coming to the gpu market.
I keep hearing about that but wasn't sure whether it's already happened, is happening, or is about to happen. I'm not in a rush so I don't mind waiting. I just wanted to hear the thoughts and opinions of people who are more in the know.

I keep hearing about that but wasn't sure whether it's already happened, is happening, or is about to happen. I'm not in a rush so I don't mind waiting. I just wanted to hear the thoughts and opinions of people who are more in the know.
i'd hang on as well if you are in no rush, maybe it will be the AMD 7900's that see some big price cuts? they are usually good at that. Bargain 4080/90's, not so sure.

Theoretically speaking, when would you consider the upgrade? "If this card cost this much" or something like that. Are there any particular cards/manufacturers I should avoid/focus on?
I'm a big fan of Zotac they offer a 5 year warranty if registered within 30 days or otherwise 3 year. Had a couple of Zotac gpu's and there been solid .

Yes, thank you. I thought upgrading only GPU might not be enough. What PSU would I be looking for in that case?
850w minimum to a 1000w shoukd cover all bases

i'd hang on as well if you are in no rush, maybe it will be the AMD 7900's that see some big price cuts? they are usually good at that. Bargain 4080/90's, not so sure.
I hope so too, if AMD can fix the vapour chamber problem and if they really are so much cheaper to make than Nvidia's cards, maybe they can turn the screw.

Best value option right now might be a second hand 3080, you should get about £300 for your 2080s, with the 3080 costing about £550. Netting roughly 40 performance improvement for £250...

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of Zotac they offer a 5 year warranty if registered within 30 days or otherwise 3 year. Had a couple of Zotac gpu's and there been solid .

850w minimum to a 1000w shoukd cover all bases
Noted. Any specific PSUs or will any in that range be OK? I assume I should look for Gold certification or better.

When you feel that you are turning down too many settings for your desired FPS.
Or if you have the upgrade itch.
Both above, are, of course dependent on the amount of disposal cash you have/want to spend, and also if you feel the value proposition is there or not.
Personally the current gen prices are way out of whack IMHO and I personally would not pay the asking price.

As my previous post, I would not consider anything less than a 50% uplift from the current GPU you use an acceptable upgrade.

Noted. Any specific PSUs or will any in that range be OK? I assume I should look for Gold certification or better.
Most new gold rated PSUs are okay. Best to check here first before you buy.
The usual suspects are normally safe bets: seasonic (and its re-brands), Corsair, MSI etc

I lower a setting or two and keep your money in your pocket, the longer you wait the better deal you will get. Have another look in six months. Crazy prices right now and then you're also possibly looking at a new PSU.

You don't need to go as far as 5800X3D either, a 5800X is a better price/performance option.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom