• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Graphics card for sons new rig

Soldato
My son is currently at uni studying art and design and a lot of the work involves animation.

We are trying to build a PC on a budget that is suitable for uni work too - would the Ray Tracing of the Nvidia cards be any benefit or would he be better saving the money and getting Radeon?

Soldato
Does this animation Software Support CUDA or OpenGLs

thats what id ask first, CUDA being NVIDIA openGL being Radeon,

RTX MIGHT help but depends if he uses animations with textures on most dont

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The software he is using is AUTODESK MAYA and ADOBE PREMIRE PRO and ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS for 3d modelling and rendering tasks

To date, ray tracing has been mostly switched off in their workload but that may change in next two years at uni

Soldato
I litterally learned everything from previous benchmarking experience,
Look At gpu benchmarks for Those programs

but i know Adobe are heavy on cuda
With Rendering more RAM better generally. but again Id look up benchmarks Program 16GB VS 32GB

Man of Honour
The software he is using is AUTODESK MAYA and ADOBE PREMIRE PRO and ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS for 3d modelling and rendering tasks

To date, ray tracing has been mostly switched off in their workload but that may change in next two years at uni
This channel does tests fairly often and the general conclusion is that 2D work is fine on either nvidia/amd, but 3D work is best on nvidia. Video is fine on either (codec quality aside).

One of the most common cards for gaming/creativity is the 3060 12GB, because of the price and the 12GB memory.

There are some significant uplifts in some apps between RDNA 2 v RDNA 3 and Ampere v Ada, so something to keep in mind if cards are similarly priced.

Thank you for your input. You seem to know a bit about this stuff ( I don't clearly lol). Would 32GB RAM make a big difference or would 16GB be enough?
For this type of work, get 32GB.

Associate
Back
Top Bottom