Gravel/Adventure Bike - £1k

Soldato
OP
After SoliD’s recommendation and a test ride, I’ve ordered a Pinnacle Arkose D2 from Evans. I actually rode the D3 with Shimano 105 all round, which was great - incredibly comfortable - just need to get used to the 42mm tyres in contrast to the 25mm on my current bike! Being 5’11” I was sort of in between frame sizes, but went for the large in the end, it seems like the best fit.

Annoyingly, apparently you can no longer “top up” Cyclescheme certificates, so the £1k was a hard limit. However as the bike was £1025, I agreed to buy an “overpriced accessory” ;). Should have it towards the end of next week.

Soldato
OP
Can't use bike to work at Decathlon though can you?

Yeah, you can.

I’ll admit that I did overlook the Decathalon bike, but from reading the review it seems to have some compromises - whilst the groupset is better, it sacrifices full hydraulic brakes and a frame that can accept more than a 36mm tyre. The Arkose can take up to a 52mm IIRC. In the future I can see my riding moving more towards gravel rather than road being the majority, so I wanted an element of future proofing in that regard. That said, I might go and take a look at one, if I can find it..

Last edited:
Soldato
Didn't realise that you could. The pinnacle specs are usually hard to beat and as you say full hydros are worth their weight in gold along with better tyre clearance and frame design by an industry leader. The frame will take a good bashing and not even flinch based on my arkose surviving 2 years of cx!

Soldato
OP
Update on this:

After picking up the bike in October I managed to get out a bit, but bad weather put pay to more extensive rides. Better weather = more rides. I swapped out the 45mm tyres for 32mm Road tyres for the summer, come the winter I'll switch them back. Using for almost entirely road riding at the moment so in some respects I wish I'd bought a more focussed machine, however when it comes to commuting tasks it's more than capable - slightly relaxed geometry makes it a joy to chuck around. So overall, happy :)

Back
Top Bottom