Great White Shark... friendly?!

Soldato
It's unlikely its friendly it's not in their nature it's indifferent or curious.. It would not give a second thought to eating her ..

Caporegime
It's unlikely its friendly it's not in their nature it's indifferent or curious.. It would not give a second thought to eating her ..
It’s like if you’re diving in a swimming pool and you see a biscuit floating about. You’ll probably be curious and swim to it as you don’t often see a biscuit in a swimming pool. When you get there you see it’s a custard cream. You might not be hungry or might not like custard creams, so you just carry on swimming around, but if you did like custard creams, you’d grab it and eat without even thinking about it. Know what I mean?........

I think I need to go to bed.

Soldato
Rules? What rules?

There's a whole bunch as people have been cageless "free diving" around GW's for years without issue and they've studied the sharks behaviour for long enough that they developed a set of rules to free diving with GW's. One of the biggest lessons, which is true for any animal, is "know their body language". In this case the sharks pectoral fins (the "wings" at the front) are horizontal, which means the shark is relaxed and calm (yay I can swim with a GW), whereas if the fins started to drop and get be more vertical thats an aggression stance (Nope, not swimming with this one). This is another - is it's caudal fin (tail) movements slow and steady (relaxed shark) or tense and quick (aggressive shark) etc. Plus there's a whole bunch of others which people have spent years cataloguing successfully.

In fact it's been so successful that not a single "free diver" has ever been attacked by a GW whilst deliberately and knowingly swimming with a GW - Ever!

Could it still be danagerous even if you know all the "rules", yeap, but the % chance is massively reduced to almost zero if you know and follow them.

Caporegime
There's a whole bunch as people have been cageless "free diving" around GW's for years without issue and they've studied the sharks behaviour for long enough that they developed a set of rules to free diving with GW's. One of the biggest lessons, which is true for any animal, is "know their body language". In this case the sharks pectoral fins (the "wings" at the front) are horizontal, which means the shark is relaxed and calm (yay I can swim with a GW), whereas if the fins started to drop and get be more vertical thats an aggression stance (Nope, not swimming with this one). This is another - is it's caudal fin (tail) movements slow and steady (relaxed shark) or tense and quick (aggressive shark) etc. Plus there's a whole bunch of others which people have spent years cataloguing successfully.

In fact it's been so successful that not a single "free diver" has ever been attacked by a GW whilst deliberately and knowingly swimming with a GW - Ever!

Could it still be danagerous even if you know all the "rules", yeap, but the % chance is massively reduced to almost zero if you know and follow them.

This guy gets it.

There's a family in Durban who have been doing cage dives for decades, across two or three generations and not one of them has died to a shark. I went cage diving with them once (this is when I met them / found out about them, never heard of them before that) and I was in the cage, the diver with his chum was outside of it. He knew exactly what was what and when to move to the other side of the cage, effectively turning it in to a barrier before the shark could get anywhere near him. It takes the shark a good 20 seconds to turn around and come back by which time he's either on the other side again or has hopped out of the water. It's quite fascinating to see, I don't know what fascinated me more, being in the water with these amazing creatures or the fact that this guy had the dance down so well he just bobbed about and casually moved around as if he was in a gold fish pond, whereas I would've been panicking and losing my mind. He'd only leave the water when there were many more sharks, two or three at one point? Nah, keep going dude, all good. All this whilst filming too.

Associate

This plus it was in the area stuffing it's face on a whale carcass, look how fat it is in the side-by-side shot. Very unlikely to be eyeing up the divers as potential meals.

Back
Top Bottom