Great White Shark... friendly?!

Soldato
Sharks don't eat people, they bite and then realise they're not very tasty.
It is true that body parts have been found inside sharks but they weren't meant to be there.
Thank you David Attenborough.

There isnt enough fat on your typical human, we simply are not nutritious enough to be worth eating.

Filling up on Human would be like filling up of polystyrene and then finding that you cant actually eat any more when a decent meal comes along.

Thats why the sharks will usually spit us out.

Back in the 50's my Mum had a friend who was bitten by a shark while swimming near cape town. She was uninjured despite being grabbed round the middle. The conclusion was that the one piece woollen swimsuit that she was wearing at the time was not to the sharks taste. Lucky Woman!

Soldato
There isnt enough fat on your typical human, we simply are not nutritious enough to be worth eating.

Filling up on Human would be like filling up of polystyrene and then finding that you cant actually eat any more when a decent meal comes along.

Thats why the sharks will usually spit us out.

lmao.
okay then.

Soldato
I went cage diving off Cape Town a few years ago and saw a few Great Whites up close and personal. One even managed to get between the cage and boat and at that moment when it started thrashing around I had a full appreciation of the immense power of these creatures. I know there is opposition to cage diving with sharks now but at the time I couldn't resist he opportunity. Was an amazing experience.

Caporegime
Fascinating reading, a few years back when we were in the north of Cyprus a local fishing boat was offering sight seeing tours to see a Great White which I thought “that can’t be right!” But, from what I’ve read Great Whites like to use the Mediterranean Sea to raise their young!

To my knowledge though there was no scientific confirmation of a GW off Cyprus.

I’ve got a very good book about Great Whites and it states quite clearly that a GW will not attack a human once it realises what it is, unfortunately though this is usually discovered after they take a bite!

The free divers (lunatics?) will have to put themselves in a position where the shark can take a look, rather them than me! :D

Soldato
There's a whole bunch as people have been cageless "free diving" around GW's for years without issue and they've studied the sharks behaviour for long enough that they developed a set of rules to free diving with GW's. One of the biggest lessons, which is true for any animal, is "know their body language". In this case the sharks pectoral fins (the "wings" at the front) are horizontal, which means the shark is relaxed and calm (yay I can swim with a GW), whereas if the fins started to drop and get be more vertical thats an aggression stance (Nope, not swimming with this one). This is another - is it's caudal fin (tail) movements slow and steady (relaxed shark) or tense and quick (aggressive shark) etc. Plus there's a whole bunch of others which people have spent years cataloguing successfully.

In fact it's been so successful that not a single "free diver" has ever been attacked by a GW whilst deliberately and knowingly swimming with a GW - Ever!

Could it still be danagerous even if you know all the "rules", yeap, but the % chance is massively reduced to almost zero if you know and follow them.

You type all those words, yet CBA typing "Great White".

Bizarre.

Associate
It’s like if you’re diving in a swimming pool and you see a biscuit floating about. You’ll probably be curious and swim to it as you don’t often see a biscuit in a swimming pool. When you get there you see it’s a custard cream. You might not be hungry or might not like custard creams, so you just carry on swimming around, but if you did like custard creams, you’d grab it and eat without even thinking about it. Know what I mean?........

I think I need to go to bed.
Made me lol
I'll have whatever you are on please

Back
Top Bottom