• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Green lines...Experiences?

Soldato
Friends computer has horizontal green lines (Broken lines...Dotted) across the screen during bootup and during windows. Graphics drivers refuse to update and bluescreens during anything GPU demanding.

I figured its the Graphics card memory gone, but ive not actually looked at the computer myself yet. Im thinking it could possibly be the VGA cable, but that doesnt explain the driver issue.

Any experiences/advice before i pick out a new graphics card? :p

Associate
A mate of mine had the same problem a few years ago, first attempt was to test a different gfx card and it was indeed his gfx card which was on its way out, test another gfx card in his system and see if that is the problem.

Liam

Soldato
OP
Her system lol, well i would test another graphics card in there but all i have is my 280's...and there's no chance it will be able to be powered.

The card in question is a 8800GTS 320MB (She only plays Counterstrike really) since she's not in the same city as me im trying to work it out before i see her next.

I got a screenshot from her thinking it might just be overly dusty but the temps are below 50c idle. She's told me today that it no longer shows a picture, but she can hear the windows sound.

Making me think it might not be the graphics card and more likely the lead. Had to replace my DVI cable last week after suffering from the same problems (The cable sticks too far out the back of my PC and rubs against the wall)

Associate
Sorry my bad, I didn't realise its actually her lol anyway yeah you have got a point there about the screen now being black, try and get her to test out a new lead from another comp if she can and see how things go. Another way my mate found out that his gfx card was on his way out was when it was displaying the odd colour lines, he took a print screen as well and sent it to me, and I could see the lines on the pic as well which meant it was his card which was on its way out. But say if it was his monitor on its way out instead, the pic would just look normal to me and nothing wrong with it at all as it would only be on his monitor which is showing the obvious problem. Still to me though it does sound like her gfx card which is still likely to be the problem, as you said that on the print screen screenshot you can see the green lines as well as her.

Liam

Associate
My graphics card died today (8800gtx) and it started displaying green/yellow dotted lines across the screen. On boot up it only showed a partial screen of system information, in random blocks over the screen and in windows would only run in 4bit colours. Symptons sound similar so i would put it down to the card, as mine wasn't that hot either (don't know temps exact but i could hold it in my hands without getting warm).

Soldato
OP
Well out of warranty by now i expect, i think she got it from ebay anyway.

I will see if i can get a screenshot (If she can get into windows) but im going to see her in a couple of days anyway so hopefully i can figure it out there and then.

Thanks for the help guys.

Soldato
it iwll be graphics card, sinc eyou can see the lines. Find out what brand it is, as you may be able to get away with replacing it if its a decent brand.

It could be caused by heat on the VRM's or ram or something, so even though the temps are reporting fine, a different part is too hot etc, but thi is unlikely.

my BFG 8800gts 320 did exactly the same thing, really confused me as it was perfectly fine, i moved the pc 2 meters and then it had this issue :(

Back
Top Bottom