Poll: Greenlizard0 PL & Championship Football Thread ** spoilers ** [11th - 13th July 2020]

When will Utd be awarded their first penalty tonight

• Before the 1st drinks break

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Between the 1st drinks break & HT

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Between HT & the 2nd drinks break

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Between the 2nd drinks break & FT

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters
Don
OP
Should have had at least 1 pen and their goal was from a free-kick that wasn't but we only have ourselves to blame. We should have been 4 or 5 up before they scored.

Two clear penalties? I’ve watched the whole game and seen no mention of such?
The challenge on Robertson was a clear pen. The Burnley defender brushed the ball but doesn't dispossess him and then clears him out with his follow through.

Don
OP
VAR didn’t even consider it and it hasn’t even been discussed by the BT commentators or pundits. If it was clear cut surely there would have been some further discussion?
Because VAR makes the correct calls? :p

Unfortunately you get stupid pundits that think if you graze the ball it can't be a foul. Robertson was 100% in possession of the ball and got wiped out with the Burnley players follow through. How is it anything other than a foul?

Don
OP
Robertson was not in full control of that ball, it’s a really good challenge for me. Not saying I won’t consider others opinions on it, but it’s not clear cut as you put it.
Really good challenge? You're joking now.

He takes a wild swipe, grazes the ball (which didn't move it from Robertson) and then wipes Robertson out.

Don
OP
When it’s a last ditch tackle to stop a goal scoring opportunity it probably is going to look like a wild swipe, he made contact with the ball first and it did change direction if you watch the replay.

My only argument here is that it wasn’t a clear cut penalty.
I've watched the replay, the ball is right in front of Robertson, literally 1 foot away. Robertson is running straight onto the ball and he gets wiped out.

Other than the fact that he's grazed the ball (which too many people mistakenly think that means it can't be a foul), how can that be anymore a foul.

Don
OP
I could quite easily see Liverpool winning their last three, those teams can’t defend like Burnley can and there will be plenty of opportunities on the counter.

Henderson our is a huge loss though.
I'm not sure we had too many difficulties getting through Burnley's defence to be honest. We had enough chances to have won the game 3 or 4 times over but some lazy finishing (and or shooting when another pass should have been played) and good goalkeeping should have been the difference.

Don
OP
A penny for Werner's thoughts as he watches Chelsea try their best to blow a CL spot.
Just quickly searching 'Robertson penalty' on twitter and there's far far more people saying it was a penalty than not - obviously it's almost entirely Liverpool supporters commenting but the first two search results were Arsenal and Real Madrid supporters saying it was pen.

Lots of people will say it's not a penalty though but mainly because they don't understand the rules and think because "he got the ball first" it can't be a foul. That's nothing more than a myth. It doesn't surprise me that VAR didn't overrule it because VAR for these decisions are a joke 99% of the time but it's a clear foul - the ball is right in front of Robertson and he gets wiped out.

Don
OP
Whether the rules state it or not, if a tackle touches the ball and takes out the man and he hasn't gone through him to get that touch, its usually not a foul. Its ridiculous but thats how the refs seem to play it.
If he actually dispossesses the attacker, yes but that wasn't the case here. The Burnley player was in possession, is about to lose the ball and takes a wild swipe and ends up grazing the ball right into Robertson's path. Robertson is only in possession of the ball after the touch from the Burnley player and is then taken out.

Don
OP
If Pep's confidence is anything to go by then City's ban is getting overturned. This is a massive loss for Chelsea.

Don
OP
Im not saying it shouldn't have been a penalty but they are quite often not given. In plenty of tackles where the defender grazes the ball might end up with the tackled player if they hadn't been taken out by the tackle. Just the way it usually goes.
Possibly but I'd guestimate that only 30% of all penalties are ever given anyway. I'm sure that even Utd fans, with their 150 pens this season, can think of several clear penalties that haven't been given for them this season. Just like the Kane appeal from the other day and countless others, it was a foul today but officials are scared of giving penalties and will look for excuses not to give them. It's human nature to avoid making a big call but unfortunately (and something I've banged on about for years) it plays a big part in the whole diving/simulation situation we see now. Attackers can't just be fouled to win pens now, they have to be seen to be absolutely smashed and left with a broken leg for a foul to be awarded.

Don
OP
no one knows who the judges are. Its CAS but you dont know whos ruling on it.

I believe anyway...im doubting myself now lol.
It's not the case. 2 seconds on google and I can tell you that the 3 judges are Rui Botica Santos from Portugal, Professor Ulrich Haas of Germany and Andrew McDougall from France.
If the ban gets overturned, all other teams might as well just stick two fingers up and spend whatever they like.
There is a small problem with that rob, all other teams don't have trillions of oil money to spend.

Don
OP
It doesn’t matter how much you’ve got, it’s whether or not you adhere to the FFP rules. A lower prem team could spend a quarter of what city do and still end up breaking the rules.
It does matter how much money you've got though rob because a smaller PL team cannot afford to spend anymore than they make because they're not backed by an Arab state.

Don
OP
Maybe, but there’s a lot of teams around Europe who do have the resources to spend more than they earn, it’s not just City.
There's a handful that can and will, but these handful are in the same boat as City in not wanting FFP. These clubs sticking 2 fingers up at UEFA and ignoring FFP doesn't solve anything for the clubs that support and adhere to FFP.

Don
OP
@BaZ87 What makes you think that Pep is confident the ban is being overturned?
He said he's really confident :p

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...-confident-Manchester-City-Europe-season.html
What’s the point in supporting something that’s not implemented and punished properly?

If the likes of Real, Barca, Juve, PSG, Bayern etc all start ignoring it, what are UEFA gonna do, ban them all? That will never happen as some of them are the darlings of UEFA.

Rob you're missing the point here. It's clubs like Real, Barca and Bayern (along with Liverpool, Utd and Arsenal) that pushed for FFP to be implemented in the current form. These clubs don't have owners that either can or will pump cash into their clubs to spend over and above what they generate. They're not going to break FFP rules.

edit: When UEFA first stated talking about financial controls they wanted to put regulations on debt. Clubs could make as much losses as they liked but as long as they weren't in debt it was fine but the big sides didn't want that, they wanted regulations that protected themselves from another Chelsea, City, PSG coming along. They wanted a set-up that made it as cheap as possible for them to keep their spot at the top table.

Don
OP
There are a few options.

Man Citys lawyers have found a way around it and know that legally they are in the clear.

He is bluffing.

Many City have bribed the right people and already know the decision.

Wonder which one I think is the most likely....
It could just be bravado, after all City have been very strongly proclaiming their innocence on this for the past 6 years and it's not stopped it getting this far. Pep coming out with this so close to the verdict made me wonder if he knows something. It has been reported that both City and UEFA will get told the verdict before it's made public but supposedly that's on the day rather than a week before.

Don
OP
Just saw the penalty, never a pen. Defender won the ball and Robertson kicked his tackling leg on the way through,

never a pen in a million years.
I'll ask you next week and you'll say it's a pen. You change your mind more than you change your pants Rob.

All MOTD pundits said it was a penalty.

Don
OP
Rob missing the point again. He touched the ball, he didn't win it, nor did he dipossess Robertson. He brushed the ball, moving it fractionally but only further into Robertson's path.

Back
Top Bottom