Greenlizard0 PL & Championship Football Thread ** spoilers ** [17th - 19th Sept 2021]

Caporegime
Liverpool’s bench isn’t garbage lmao

Liverpool's bench against Palace had Minamino, Origi, Curtis Jones, ox as attacking options.

Chelsea's bench against Spurs had Kante, Werner, Ziyech, Saul as attacking options.

City against Southampton had De Bruyne, Mahrez, Phil Foden, Ferran Torres as attacking options

Man Utd had Juan Mata, Anthony Martial, Jadon Sancho, Van Der Beek, Matic, Lingard as attacking options.

Kante, De Bruyne, Mahrez, Phil Foden, Jadon Sancho, Anthony Martial would all walk into Liverpool's first team yet Minamino, Origi, ox or Curtis Jones wouldn't get into the starting line-ups of the other teams.

I think it is a fair point to say that as starting elevens go Liverpool's is still one of the best but you guys are only a couple of injuries away from a drop off plus when afcon comes around that will cause a problem.

Soldato
When you start to use Matic,VDB and Mata as viable attacking options then your argument is finished.

Why did you decide to just leave one of the best attacking full backs in the world off that list and Naby Keita who scored a screamer? Are attacking players the only good subs then? Liverpool decided to give Joel Matip the day off and they still have Joe Gomez on the bench. The depth in midfield and defence is right up there.

Liverpool’s main issue is the lack of a striker to replace Bobby when he’s out. If you think Sancho replaces Salah then frankly youre deluded.

Caporegime
When you start to use Matic,VDB and Mata as viable attacking options then your argument is finished.

Why did you decide to just leave one of the best attacking full backs in the world off that list and Naby Keita who scored a screamer? Are attacking players the only good subs then? Liverpool decided to give Joel Matip the day off and they still have Joe Gomez on the bench. The depth in midfield and defence is right up there.

Liverpool’s main issue is the lack of a striker to replace Bobby when he’s out. If you think Sancho replaces Salah then frankly youre deluded.

Sancho plays down both sides plus is only 21 years old. He is more than a match for Mane and I am sure a Klopp would make him a super star. I did forget Keita but even if you add him it still looks the same.

I was merely using attacking options to prove a point as you rarely see in a game where defenders are subbed bar injuries or formation changes. If you wanted me to include them then Chelsea had both Chillwell and James on the bench which just goes to show how stacked they are.

Caporegime
Martial walking in to any team :o

Who on earth are Mahrez, Foden, Sancho and Martial replacing in Liverpool's first team? Possibly Foden for Thiago, but otherwise this is an utterly bonkers post

Martial 42 has more goals to Bobby 38 in the past 3 seasons in a poorer team whilst playing that number 9 position.

Sancho had 16 goals and 20 assists last season to Manes 16 and 9. Sancho is also what 8 years younger so is still not finished.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Liverpool's squad is small by design isn't it? Thought Klopp likes to keep the same team more or less and doesn't change it up much unless forced. They play a well drilled system so it's not the end of the world if a player needs to be replaced in the XI as long as they can do a decent job, it also helps that they don't really take cup games seriously.

I wouldn't use united as an example, you're basically as good as us at squad building albeit with deeper pockets. Compared to City and Chelsea yeah their bench is lacking but it hasn't stopped them competing so it's a bit of a non issue.

I'd only take Martial over Firmino due to age/value, if they were the same age it's Firmino every time.

Soldato
Martial 42 has more goals to Bobby 38 in the past 3 seasons in a poorer team whilst playing that number 9 position.

Sancho had 16 goals and 20 assists last season to Manes 16 and 9. Sancho is also what 8 years younger so is still not finished.
Firmino's game is about an awful lot more than goals. Until last season he was one of our most important players and one of the best at his particular role in the world.

And how's Sancho doing this season? Yes he's still young and I'm not saying he's a bad player or that he won't be excellent in future, but there's no way that he would have got into Liverpool's first team since he broke through. He was about the 4th choice winger for England!

Don
There's no question that we don't have the depth of attacking options as other sides at the top but the point about squad depth gets massively exaggerated. Not only is our backline better than anything else in the League (and Europe), but with the likes of Gomez, Konate and Kostas, we've got better back-up players than pretty much everybody too. In Fabinho, Henderson, Thiago, Keita, Ox, Jones, Milner and Elliott we're hardly lacking in midfield either*. Salah, Mane, Jota and Firmino are collectively as good as any 4 forwards around but again, beyond that is an area where our squad could be better but in fairness, it's probably the only area.

The only player you listed Adam that gets into our side is KDB. Kante and Foden are both very good players but Kante's not good enough on the ball to play in our 3 man midfield and Foden just doesn't have a position in our side (not unless Klopp turns him into a CM anyway). I strongly suspect Klopp wouldn't take Martial or Mahrez if they were free but Sancho would certainly make a handy sub for us.

*Yes, we don't have a big goalscoring midfielder in our squad but the way that we play doesn't really allow for that. We typically play with a very controlled midfield that looks to dominate the ball and allow our fullbacks to bomb on.

Soldato

LOL Sancho with his yearly stat pad against Paderborn is compared to a fella who is a few goals away from the premier league 100 club. Is this a genuine post?

Man of Honour
The manager is the key person and Liverpool, Man City and Chelsea all have elite level managers and we most certainly do not. That's the major gap, regardless of squads and players.

Soldato
Liverpool's squad is small by design isn't it? Thought Klopp likes to keep the same team more or less and doesn't change it up much unless forced. They play a well drilled system so it's not the end of the world if a player needs to be replaced in the XI as long as they can do a decent job, it also helps that they don't really take cup games seriously.

I wouldn't use united as an example, you're basically as good as us at squad building albeit with deeper pockets. Compared to City and Chelsea yeah their bench is lacking but it hasn't stopped them competing so it's a bit of a non issue.

I'd only take Martial over Firmino due to age/value, if they were the same age it's Firmino every time.

I wouldnt take Martial in any way shape or form. Theres a reason why half the united fans on here want rid of him.

At the weekend we had 3 of out back four rotated and Bobby out. We beat Palace 3 nil comfortably. Not many teams will this season.

Back
Top Bottom