Greenlizard0 PL & Championship Football Thread ** spoilers ** [21st - 23rd January 2023]

Caporegime
Manu not able to absorb any of that pressure and turn into decent counters, arsenal just quite a bit better

massive lead for arsenal

Man of Honour
I thought we'd trouble Arsenal but ultimately lose, shame we didn't have Casemiro as I think it would have been a much closer game, the drop off to McTominay is absolutely huge.

Arsenal were very strong though, loads of energy and we just couldn't deal with it. Looking an impressive side and no real 'star' players either, pretty well balanced.

Soldato
I thought we'd trouble Arsenal but ultimately lose, shame we didn't have Casemiro as I think it would have been a much closer game, the drop off to McTominay is absolutely huge.

Arsenal were very strong though, loads of energy and we just couldn't deal with it. Looking an impressive side and no real 'star' players either, pretty well balanced.
Agreed, although I honestly think that if someone knobbles Odegaard that would cause them massive problems

Caporegime
Genuinely, what changes would you make? You could bring on Malacia, but I'm not sure what that would change unless you went 5atb, but otherwise you have a bench full of wingers, and Arsenal have been all over you - they'd never get the ball.

I'm not saying this aggressively, I'm just genuinely intrigued by what you'd have changed?

Edit: I suppose the only possible one I can think of is McT for a centre back, and Martinez into midfield, but that seems risky as you're weakening your defence and playing your best defender in a position he's not seen for a while

Played Casemiro? Plus we have Sancho in no man's land, Dalot and Martial injured.

Arsenal were full strength bar Jesus (The players you have to replace him are arguably as good if not better) and were at home. Game was a brilliant watch. ETH went for the draw which was the wrong call imo as it was end to end before that.

Saying all that I'd rather Arsenal win the league than City get three in a row.

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime

One of the biggest things we miss without Casemiro is the transitions. Yes he is very good at anticipating the danger and turning defence into attack but he also quickly gets us forward. I can't think of anything good McTominay did today.

fez

fez

Caporegime
ESR is the one to fill that void.

He isn't have the player. Odegaard is one of those rare players who just "gets" football. Knows where his players are at all times, rarely puts a pass wrong, knows where the opposition are and when he should draw them in and when he should move it quickly. Hes been an absolutely massive part of why Arsenal are doing so well this season. Players like him allow the rest of the team to function.

They don't have to worry if their run will be found, they don't have to have half a mind on stopping the attack and suddenly defending because he has lost the ball. He gives the rest of your team the confidence to do what they do.

Caporegime
If Arteta wins it with this Arsenal side would it be more impressive than Klopp’s title?

This question did the rounds in the pub earlier and the answers were pretty much 50/50.

Last edited:
Soldato

Agree on Arsenal but I think it's too obvious to pin all the blame on McTominay. The problem is that we don't have depth that allows us to cover injuries or suspensions. If we are honest we mugged City, laboured against Palace and came up short today. It shows our level, which is battling for top four. EtH needs another three transfer windows and new owners to compete.

Soldato
He isn't have the player. Odegaard is one of those rare players who just "gets" football. Knows where his players are at all times, rarely puts a pass wrong, knows where the opposition are and when he should draw them in and when he should move it quickly. Hes been an absolutely massive part of why Arsenal are doing so well this season. Players like him allow the rest of the team to function.

They don't have to worry if their run will be found, they don't have to have half a mind on stopping the attack and suddenly defending because he has lost the ball. He gives the rest of your team the confidence to do what they do.
He is more direct, not quite as cute with the ball but still a worthy stand in. He was our top scorer last season too.

fez

fez

Caporegime
If Arteta wins it with this Arsenal side would it be more impressive than Klopp’s title?

This question did the rounds in the pub earlier and the answers were pretty much 50/50.

Very hard to say. City have been off the boil a little and the rest of the classic "big 6" are all having questionable seasons. Its certainly a very impressive achievement but this is a cracking Arsenal side that are performing at just the right time. They are a very young side, hungry and all working really well together. I don't get the impression there are any egos in that team.

Arteta has done a really good job but it feels a little like the stars have just aligned this year for them. The transformation from last year is stark.

Soldato
Played Casemiro? Plus we have Sancho in no man's land, Dalot and Martial injured.

Arsenal were full strength bar Jesus (The players you have to replace him are arguably as good if not better) and were at home. Game was a brilliant watch. ETH went for the draw which was the wrong call imo as it was end to end before that.

Saying all that I'd rather Arsenal win the league than City get three in a row.
Huh? I was responding to someone who suggested that he could have made substitutions. Any points relating to that?

fez

fez

Caporegime
He is more direct, not quite as cute with the ball but still a worthy stand in. He was our top scorer last season too.

Hes a decent player but not on the same level as Odegaard. This season vs last season are very different as well. Arsenal were...Arsenal last season, this season they are a proper team.

Back
Top Bottom