Greenlizard0 PL & Championship Football Thread ** spoilers ** [27th - 2nd July 2020]

Caporegime
Relevance? Liverpool just lost heavily to a team 20 odd points behind them.

I think most would agree Man Utd are going in a better direction than Arsenal.
That remains to be seen. You can’t count this season, it’s been a massive upheaval for us, you’ve been settled. We’ll know more next season.

Maybe though you’ll be able to get your first league victory against us for over two years.

Man of Honour
That remains to be seen. You can’t count this season, it’s been a massive upheaval for us, you’ve been settled. We’ll know more next season.

Maybe though you’ll be able to get your first league victory against us for over two years.

Between Arteta and the way the Arsenal board seem to operate (David Luiz contract extension :D), I'm far from convinced. Auba will no doubt be keen to leave as well.

I'm still not convinced by our manager and chairman either, but at the moment we're looking much better in general.

Soldato

Arsenal have been in upheaval for the past 18 years, you've been going in the wrong direction since you last won the title. :D

Caporegime
Between Arteta and the way the Arsenal board seem to operate (David Luiz contract extension :D), I'm far from convinced. Auba will no doubt be keen to leave as well.

I'm still not convinced by our manager and chairman either, but at the moment we're looking much better in general.

What are you talking about Ole is at the wheel baby. :D You need to believe. I am also surprised by the amount of hatred towards Liverpool and it is not from United fans! I can see all the sky sports click bait on YouTube now stating how Liverpool are ruined even though they are basically on holiday from now till the charity shield in September.

Associate
Carra’s made a good point there, City are a better technical team than Liverpool. Liverpool are gonna want the crowds back ASAP next season or I think City will take a very commanding lead.

Just my two cents.

Disagree. It's one game, you often used to see United win the league through consistency against everyone except the top 2 or 3. A technically better team does not lose 8 games with part of the season still to run. This season for quality outside of the top club is very similar to when Leicester won the league. Everyone gash outside of the top club, City lost 10 games that year and could well again. I think it's a shame for liverpool that they can back off the throttle mentally so very early because it might stop them setting records that may never be beaten. I think last seasons City team just shade this season liverpool due to the difference in getting 100 points when the team behind is with you all the way, but I would be happy saying either team is the best the EPL has ever seen.

September I called this Liverpool team would win the league at a canter and without a clear out at the back I can't see City touching them next year either. If the ban is upheld, I can't see anyone touching this liverpool side for a few years and players will be clamouring to join them too. I also called Everton to finish about Arsenal though and not sure that one will pay off :D

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/33019290/

Soldato
Right, he’s great and he’s an amazing player, but can sky get any further up KDB’s arse?

Reminds me of the rimming they used to give Jose all the time

I said it during the game. KDB plays a 20 yard pass and Nevilles having an orgasm. Bruno fernandes is another one to add to the list.

Soldato
Liverpool are worthy winners.

I do wonder if they will suffer the same burnout as City next season or, more probably, the season after.

The city challenge this year was subpar but I suspect it is because they are focussing on CL and emotionally drained after winning the prior season. Pep needs to reinvigorate his squad.

The same problem will fall to Liverpool but I am interested to see how Klopp manages it. He should have learned a lot from when a similar thing happened at Dortmund

Caporegime
Liverpool are worthy winners.

I do wonder if they will suffer the same burnout as City next season or, more probably, the season after.

The city challenge this year was subpar but I suspect it is because they are focussing on CL and emotionally drained after winning the prior season. Pep needs to reinvigorate his squad.

The same problem will fall to Liverpool but I am interested to see how Klopp manages it. He should have learned a lot from when a similar thing happened at Dortmund

City have their own problems. The squad needs a rebuild. Pep has never done such thing. He leaves before he has to get his hands dirty.

Associate
I said it during the game. KDB plays a 20 yard pass and Nevilles having an orgasm. Bruno fernandes is another one to add to the list.

I don't think its a coincidence that just about every ex pro I hear talk says KDB is about the best they have seen in his position in years. I think they have better appreciation of what he is doing so effortlessly week in week out at a high level. Even on Crouches podcast this week he talked about him being on another planet and how he'd loved to have played with him. Danny Murphys comments, I know didn't do down well when he said the liverpool midfield weren't fit to lace his boots in relation to the guard of honour. I don't think he's over hyped at all, I'd say the opposite considering the years he's been at that level, it's only this year they are really talking about it. I can't think of anyone better.

City have their own problems. The squad needs a rebuild. Pep has never done such thing. He leaves before he has to get his hands dirty.

Depends on your definition of rebuilding, from the position he took the clubs he had you are always adding players and adjusting the system. How many years do you have to stay at a club to rebuild. Anyway who gives a toss, if I was a fan I'd prefer a manager that comes in and gets results with what I had that was under performing than 'rebuild'. Rebuilding is another football fan throw away comment and takes no notice of all the rebuilding in system and style of play and every thing else going on behind the scenes.

Caporegime
It does seem that there is no limit to the toxicity that Mourinho can bring to a club. I know Spurs were over achieving under Poch and reaching the CL Final flattered them a little but I didn't expect them to be this poor. They were crap against United in the first game back and lucky to be gifted a goal. On the principle that they have no money to buy players you do wonder how long Mourinho will last.

The toxicity was creeping in during the Poch reign, the Mourinho toxic dinosaur narrative is a bit boring. Managed to win trophies at Man Utd. The squad needs a total rebuild, the board gambled on a manager change and it hasn't worked. The board/ownership have taken the club as far as they can from an infrastructure and finance perspective but the whole footballing side needs a rebuild top to bottom. Mourinho is right to dig out the players for their mentality, because the second a division goes against us, or there's some misfortune they just crumble. See the Leicester game with the Son ruled out goal, the Brighton defeat when Lloris was injured and the 7-2 Bayern game that was fairly even until half time.

Spurs didn't over achieve with Poch because he won us nothing, we had one of the best squads and PL points records over a 18 month period but things like playing backup keepers and using Son as a LWB in semi finals showed he lacked that final cutting edge to get us over the line.

Soldato
The toxicity was creeping in during the Poch reign, the Mourinho toxic dinosaur narrative is a bit boring. Managed to win trophies at Man Utd. The squad needs a total rebuild, the board gambled on a manager change and it hasn't worked. The board/ownership have taken the club as far as they can from an infrastructure and finance perspective but the whole footballing side needs a rebuild top to bottom. Mourinho is right to dig out the players for their mentality, because the second a division goes against us, or there's some misfortune they just crumble. See the Leicester game with the Son ruled out goal, the Brighton defeat when Lloris was injured and the 7-2 Bayern game that was fairly even until half time.

Spurs didn't over achieve with Poch because he won us nothing, we had one of the best squads and PL points records over a 18 month period but things like playing backup keepers and using Son as a LWB in semi finals showed he lacked that final cutting edge to get us over the line.
Bit harsh on Poch!

He overachieved by the results we achieved relative to the resources we expended. Consistent CL qualification and strong league finishes outperformed the budget (both salary cap and bet expenditure) he had available.

Caporegime
He both overachieved and underachieved. He got a level of consistent league performance that is well beyond what Spurs had been capable off. But the fact that in his time he won nothing is a big black mark against his time there. That squad should have won something

Back
Top Bottom