Greenlizard0 PL & Championship Football Thread ** spoilers ** [7th - 12th May 2022]

Don
Leeds in serious trouble now, I didn't think they'd go down, but this doesn't look good.

So we need to finish 8th to avoid the Europa Conference? I don't think we can drop that low.

I'd be fine with the Europa League, but the Conference seems a complete waste of time really. I suppose it's a chance to play a lot of the more promising younger players and rotate, but that's about it. A hindrance.
A lot of people used to turn their noses up at the Europa not that long ago too. I know it's a bit embarrassing but the Europa and even the Conference League are handy financial buffers for dropping out of the CL.

You might not earn much in prize money, maybe £10m if you get to the final or win it, but 6 home games are going to be worth another £15-20m.

Commissario
A lot of people used to turn their noses up at the Europa not that long ago too. I know it's a bit embarrassing but the Europa and even the Conference League are handy financial buffers for dropping out of the CL.

You might not earn much in prize money, maybe £10m if you get to the final or win it, but 6 home games are going to be worth another £15-20m.

I can't get my head around being knocked out of the CL and being dumped into another cup. Makes no sense, if you're knocked out....then you should be out period. Not given another chance in another cup competition.

Man of Honour

True. In that sense it's not the end of the world. We should be able to get Europa League though if the team manage to put in one more half decent performance (or at least have a chance).

Don
I can't get my head around being knocked out of the CL and being dumped into another cup. Makes no sense, if you're knocked out....then you should be out period.
Oh, I meant Utd finishing 6th or 7th rather than being knocked out of the group stages of the CL but yea, I agree. But I also don't like the Europa League winners getting a spot in the CL either.

Don
True. In that sense it's not the end of the world. We should be able to get Europa League though if the team manage to put in one more half decent performance.
Not if West Ham win their remaining games you won't :p And yes, I am clutching to the hope of a 94th minute Mark Noble match winning penalty vs City next weekend.

Don
Yes I just realised that, we're even worse than I thought!
I shouldn't have been but I was surprised when I saw a comment on twitter that you could end the season with a negative goal difference. I'm sure it's happened before with a team finishing 6th/7th but it can't have happened many times and I'd be shocked if it happened to one of the big 6 before.

Don
Still fancy Leeds to just about survive. I'd imagine Chelsea will rest a few midweek with the Cup final in mind - a lively Elland Road under lights might be enough to get Leeds the points, providing they don't end up down to 10 men again with some stupid challenges.

Back
Top Bottom