Greenlizard0 PL & Championship Football Thread ** spoilers ** [7th - 12th May 2022]

fez

fez

Caporegime
Spurs are really boring under Conte but they are quite effective.

Arsenal are just Arsenal. They put together a nice little run but they are a limited team. Far too many average players and Arteta is an average manager. Can't fault their work ethic and attitude though.

Soldato

Arsenal are just Arsenal. They put together a nice little run but they are a limited team. Far too many average players and Arteta is an average manager. Can't fault their work ethic and attitude though.
But in that alone you can see the improvement Arteta has made in them. It's about the first season since the mid 00s when their attitude has been right

Man of Honour

Yeah, I can't see Arteta pulling up any trees personally. I think this is about his limit.

Soldato
On like 5 players lol we did a complete clear out. We didn't go and buy players like haaland did we?
It's still a significant amount of money. You spent 105mil on three of them and have had a game a week for ages. 11 points added and 12 losses if you win both your games? I mean really that's acceptable?

Spurs didn't have much European football either after losing to those made up teams.

So?

fez

fez

Caporegime
But in that alone you can see the improvement Arteta has made in them. It's about the first season since the mid 00s when their attitude has been right

Oh yeah, the big question is whether he can bring in the right quality to improve the side without losing that. Getting rid of Auba was the right decision, he was a mercenary who thought he was above the team and didn't give a crap.

Still not sure Arteta has what it takes to make Arsenal top 4 regulars if United sort themselves out or Spurs have a consistent season. Next season will be a biggie for United and Arsenal.

Soldato
Oh yeah, the big question is whether he can bring in the right quality to improve the side without losing that. Getting rid of Auba was the right decision, he was a mercenary who thought he was above the team and didn't give a crap.

Still not sure Arteta has what it takes to make Arsenal top 4 regulars if United sort themselves out or Spurs have a consistent season. Next season will be a biggie for United and Arsenal.
I agree, he's got to show that he belongs at the top table of managers, but so far he's dealt well with rebuilding the squad, improving their attitude, and imposing a style of play. He's a solid manager for a top 6 team. Next season will show whether he's got more than that

Soldato
It's still a significant amount of money. You spent 105mil on three of them and have had a game a week for ages. 11 points added and 12 losses if you win both your games? I mean really that's acceptable?

So?
Not really compared to City and United and Liverpool.

When u make wholesale changes to a team it takes time for the players to adjust especially if the majority of the players we bought are under 22 lol.

That's something man United should have done bhw. Buy young and groom them together.

I wouldn't judge this squad fully for another 1 years really

Caporegime
I agree, he's got to show that he begins at the top table of managers, but so far he's dealt well with rebuilding the squad, improving their attitude, and imposing a style of play. He's a solid manager for a top 6 team. Next season will show whether he's got more than that

I thought the same with Ole and he got our team to second and a European final. If Arsenal do not get champions League football it will be a massive failure as you will not attract the players. It matters less so with a team like United as they have more of a pull regardless how poor we are at the minute.

Caporegime

When u make wholesale changes to a team it takes time for the players to adjust especially if the majority of the players we bought are under 22 lol.

That's something man United should have done bhw. Buy young and groom them together.

We did that in 19/20 season. The average age of the squad was one of the lowest in the league at 23ish years old and Rashford,Martial and Greenwood scored 60 goals between them. It all went downhill after that though :p

Soldato
I thought the same with Ole and he got our team to second and a European final. If Arsenal do not get champions League football it will be a massive failure as you will not attract the players. It matters less so with a team like United as they have more of a pull regardless how poor we are at the minute.
I'm a Liverpool fan, I couldn't give a hoot about whether Arsenal get top 4.

And you never saw any style of play under Ole. He got lucky last season - everyone but City was awful, and you basically rode your luck every match, hoping that one of your absurdly expensive players would crop up with a wondergoal or that your opponents would make a mistake. The only difference between last season and this for United is that those things haven't happened this time around.

It's different with Arteta - there is a clear season on season development in how they play

Soldato

Arsenal spend a lot more then Liverpool lol. Not one of your main transfers last season was under 22 when you signed them.

I get it takes time to adjust but if you have all the time in the world with them they should be losiing 30% of their games.

Its not just Arsenal tbh i think the league in general is a bit rubbish.

Don
Still not sure Arteta has what it takes to make Arsenal top 4 regulars if United sort themselves out..
That's such a hard challenge for any manager though. I've mentioned it a few times over the past 18 months but there's a financial gap opening between Spurs/Arsenal and the top 4. If Arsenal don't qualify for the CL this season it will be hugely down to their lack of finances. It wasn't just Auba that left in January but Arsenal let another 4(?) senior players go without bringing anybody in because without Europe Arsenal couldn't afford to hold that size of squad. Arsenal have ended up playing a number of games in the last couple of months with makeshift back 4's and midfield's as a result.

Back
Top Bottom