Greenlizard0 PL Football Thread Final Day ** spoilers ** [26th July 2020]

Soldato
I dread to think what side to our game we’ll see today. Will it be slow and turgid as though the game isn’t important as per any game that has significance for us, or will we come flying out and look convincing? If DDG makes a mistake, I wonder if there’ll be any fall out... and if Ole doesn’t make CL, will he be around next season... a lot to play out today! I’m bricking it! :eek::(

Soldato
I dread to think what side to our game we’ll see today. Will it be slow and turgid as though the game isn’t important as per any game that has significance for us, or will we come flying out and look convincing? If DDG makes a mistake, I wonder if there’ll be any fall out... and if Ole doesn’t make CL, will he be around next season... a lot to play out today! I’m bricking it! :eek::(

Utd fan I assume?

I think you'll win comfortably unfortunately.

Caporegime
OP
I think Ole is safe regardless of results today personally. I think he's shown enough to show he's taking the club in the right direction to stay on. Honestly it's remarkable we're even in the running for top 4 considering we had our best player out for most of the season.

Soldato
I think Ole is safe regardless of results today personally. I think he's shown enough to show he's taking the club in the right direction to stay on. Honestly it's remarkable we're even in the running for top 4 considering we had our best player out for most of the season.
Sensible post. I think United fans have to reflect on where we were 18 months ago with JM as manager. We were going nowhere. Ole to his credit has made some tough calls in shaping the squad. Out have gone Fellaini, Lukaku, Sanchez, Young, Smalling who were all regulars under Jose and in has come AWB, Maguire, James and Hernandez. I think James is the only one that doesn't look up to it at this level but he is still young and has some time. We've also see him rehabilitate Martial and happen upon a fairly potent front three. Greenwood and Williams have done well as youngsters and given credible options, spurring on the likes of Shaw and seeing the potential exit of Mata, Lingard and Periera without serious impact.

Thats a pretty big and fundamental squad overhaul. He deserves another season to advance and consolidate the position. While CL is talked of as essential I'd personally prefer United to be competitive in the league first of all. The squad isn't deep enough or team well enough formed yet to play successfully on both front. However if it keeps some big names and attracts the likes of a Sancho then clearly its a welcome distraction.

I'm not overly confident today but it will be a good indicator of how much more work needs to be done on this squad. The only downside I have with Ole is with regard some of the coaching. I still don't think we work hard enough particularly out of possession. We stand out amongst the top sides in that we don't play the high pressing style and I'm not sure if this is limiting in terms of competing for the top honours. Overall regardless of what happens today at least we've played some decent stuff since Bruno arrived vs the turgid style we saw under LVG and Mourinho. I just hope they go for it.

Don
If Utd win today they'll pick up the exact same points total as last season. Utd's points per game this season is only 0.18 better than the first 17 fixtures of last season under Mourinho and 0.2 less than Ole's 21 games last season. Fortunately for Utd, Chelsea and Spurs have been even worse this season than last.

Utd should win comfortably today though. Leicester's defence is shot to bits and they're having to play a back 3 with 2 players that can't run.

Soldato
I'll be hoping Utd keep Leicester shut out and a Danny Ings hat trick to take the Golden Boot. Sheffield Utd aren't exactly a leaky defence though, so I don't think it's all that likely :p

Associate
Fully expecting a United win today, we never beat them at the best of times. I just hope we switch back to a back 4 because playing Morgan and Bennet in a back 3 will be suicidal if United's forwards turn up.

Soldato
Need a performance from the lads today, to see off Man United, and secure that Champs league spot.

Not going to be easy as our squad is looking decimated, we have really missed Pereira and Maddison.

Man of Honour

I do understand this view but personally I think top 4 is essential, unless he wins the Europa League.

Ole has done some good things but in terms of coaching and managing I'm still not fully convinced, but I hope he does well.

Back
Top Bottom