Greenlizard0 Premier League Football Thread ** spoilers ** [16th - 19th August 2024]

I couldn't watch the game as I'm in the middle of nowhere in France. If Garnacho wasn't great, I would consider the fact he was playing on our right where he's less effective than the left?

He did fine yes he missed a sitter at the end, but he came on with 30 mins left and assisted for the goal

Some thoughts on the game.

We had some good spells and we had some poor spells. This is kind of to be expected when there was a single change since last season in the starting XI and we were missing a striker. Our biggest issue is still movement. Movement on and off the ball. We're just far too static still. We're playing with our backs to the opposition and making no runs to pull them apart. There were some nice little passages of play but everything needs to get quicker and we need to be more positive with how we go about getting forward. I thought our press was pretty good at times.

Thoughts on players:

Onana - didn't really have much to do but his passing wasn't good and he had a couple of flaps in the air. Hopefully he settles down a little when the rest of the team does.
Mazroaui - Looked quality and was playing nice crisp passes from the get go. Moved up the pitch well and defended well. Broke the Fulham press quite a few times by playing hard angled balls through their lines.
Maguire - Was generally fine. Made a vital block to deny Fulham a 1 on 1. Gave the ball away far too much when we were defending towards the end of the game and invited pressure back on us.
Martinez - Made a few mistakes but brings that energy and fight to the defence. Vital we keep him fit and get Yoro or De Ligt partnering him.
Dalot - Played well. Not much to say. Did his job well.
Casemiro - Was fine most of the game. Didn't do anything stupid all game which astonished me. He almost always puts in a stupid tackle. Had a few chances he should have perhaps done better with. Still need to replace him IMO.
Mainoo - Played well but looked leggy before he was taken off. Not much to say. Good player.
Mount - Kept getting caught in posession as he looked to roll players and turn with the ball. Got better as the game went on but never anything particular special. Needs to improve or be moved on at the end of the season.
Fernandes - Our best player tonight. Good passes and worked his bum off as usual. Fluffed too many good chances that should have put Fulham down. I was screaming at the TV for any of our players to lift it over Leno. He comes with his feet on the ground. Lift it!
Rashford - By his own low standards he was quite good. Should have had an assist, perhaps 2 if Garnacho and Mount could finish. Rather anonymous for large parts of the game but looked a bit better than he has recently. Will have to fight for his place this season if Amad locks down the RW and Garnacho has the LW.
Amad - Looked good for the most part. Fingers crossed he has a good break through season. We cannot have a good season with Antony on the RW.

Subs:

Zirkzee - Looks rather lightweight but if he can provide some finishing he will be a big asset. Floats around the pitch by the looks of it.
Garnacho - Not sure how he missed that sitter but he will be vital to our league position this year
De Ligt - Didn't really see enough to make any decisions

Important 3 points to start with and fingers crossed we will start to look a bit better with every passing week. Luke Shaw would be a big asset if he can play a chunk of the season and hopefully we can get a reasonably settled first XI. Better than last season so far but thats a very low bar and this was Fulham.

Deserved win but we made it hard work at times. Felt the ref gave us the benefit of the doubt on a few occasions.

Alisson, TAA, Van Dijk, Quansah, Robertson, Gravenberch,
Szoboszlai, Mac Allister, Salah, Jota, Diaz.

Subs: Kelleher, Endo, Konate, Nunez, Jones, Gakpo, Elliott, Tsimikas, Bradley.

Team news what I expected, Jota has been getting the goals pre season so makes sense he starts.

United did better than I expected tbh last night.

Didn't expect wonders on the first weekend of football, always get some really odd results I find.

In other news... C'MON IPSWICH!!1

Good job no one is playing a drinking game and the phrase 'Liverpool are the only club to not sign someone in the premier league', you'd be completely smashed :cry:

Actually forgot that Salah was even on the pitch until winning that corner a while back. Not the most electrifying start yet, feels like Allison isnt doing the long kick outs as much so far

Actually forgot that Salah was even on the pitch until winning that corner a while back. Not the most electrifying start yet, feels like Allison isnt doing the long kick outs as much so far
Robertson is being sloppy as well

He hasn’t reached his peak for awhile now

Back
Top Bottom