Greenlizard0 Premier League Football Thread ** spoilers ** [21st - 24th December 2023]

Soldato
What exactly was Fergie's system?
Firstly, width, and secondly midfielders who were brilliant in transition.

But as I said, football has changed in the last decade. 10-15 years ago you could get by with just buying good players and whacking them together in a team. Now you can't

Edit: just to be clear, Fergie was great as his ability to get good players to gel was unparalleled. I'm not trying to diminish what he achieved - for me he's the best manager of all time - but I'm just saying that times have changed in terms of what makes a good team

Last edited:
Soldato
Firstly, width, and secondly midfielders who were brilliant in transition.

But as I said, football has changed in the last decade. 10-15 years ago you could get by with just buying good players and whacking them together in a team. Now you can't.
The Ferguson era teams were built on a very strong team ethic, hard work and incredible flair players who didn't play for themselves. Tactically we weren't great at the very elite level hence not really winning the CL more than twice over 20 years. Fergie worked a miracle with some average players at times. This current team don;t have the team ethic, work ethic or mental fortitude of the past and they resist tactical input.

Anyway this game is limp which I think suits us more at this stage.

Soldato
The Ferguson era teams were built on a very strong team ethic, hard work and incredible flair players who didn't play for themselves. Tactically we weren't great at the very elite level hence not really winning the CL more than twice over 20 years. Fergie worked a miracle with some average players at times. This current team don;t have the team ethic, work ethic or mental fortitude of the past and they resist tactical input.

Anyway this game is limp which I think suits us more at this stage.
Speaking of limp, Uniteds attack is as limp as ive seen in a long long time.

Caporegime
West Ham are there for the taking again as well. They are leaving the same gaps and spaces in behind as they did mid week.

Areola doing Onana impressions.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, that was bloody boring. I might head to the pub, best part about the entire thing was Ally on comms.

Re from before kick off - Fergie adapted a lot, Micheal Coxs book on tactics is an interesting book - or atleast i found it interesting. He goes into depth about how Fergie had it handed to him in the early days of Europe and how he had to adapt and change. They also got really unlucky in Europe a few times when they should have won it. The year Porto won it, sticks out, talk about a butterfly effect.

I do agree though, I just don’t know what United are trying to do? I genuinely think he just put them out there and go, just try your best - when their best just isn’t good enough.

Maybe I’m completely wrong here but I think a lot of the time the effort just simply isn’t there with them and they seem to have a poor attitudes (probably the same thing as realistically you can’t have one without the other). One being we can actually see the effort isn’t there, compare the runs/sprints/distance covered against their rivals and its night and day. The other is more subjective but think we can say by the constant arm lifting, arguments, lack of tracking back that they aren’t interesting in working hard.

Back
Top Bottom